Vertical Sync + Reduce Input Lag?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So I enjoy playing in windowed mode since I tab out a lot, which unfortunately isn't supported with Nvidia Adaptive Vsync.

With in-game vertical sync on in WoW, don't you get input lag? Does enabling "reduce input lag" actually help counteract this? How big is the performance hit?

Here are my system specs:

- Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz
- 8GB Crucial DDR3-1600
- Galaxy GTX 670 GC 2GB
- Crucial M4 SSD
Edited by Lawlbringer on 9/5/2012 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes, I get input lag which is why I don't use vsync for any games. I learned to live with the screen tearing and I no longer notice it. I can alt tab extremely quickly with an almost identical system (3570k@4.5, HD 7970, 8gb DDR3 1600 RAM, no ssd) even in fullscreen mode though.
Edited by Zachoff on 9/5/2012 6:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/05/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Zachoff
Yes, I get input lag which is why I don't use vsync for any games. I learned to live with the screen tearing and I no longer notice it. I can alt tab extremely quickly with an almost identical system (3570k@4.5, HD 7970, 8gb DDR3 1600 RAM, no ssd) even in fullscreen mode though.

I would do that and get used to it to but it makes my video card work harder than it has to...more noise/heat. I've tried limiting the FPS but it still looks crappy limited to 60 fps.
Reply Quote
86 Human Priest
I experience none of the problems you guys are talking about. Any high end card should ALWAYS run Vsync simply because allowing your GPU to break 60fps (60hz monitor) or 120fps (120hz monitor) is making it work harder than it has to. I have a 7950 over clocked to 1.1ghz core and 6gbps memory clock and I run at 45. C. at 1080P with every graphics option enabled. I experience no hardware lag what so ever. I also checked the reduce hardware lag option. I alt tab constantly. My build is AMD 8350 8 core cpu@4.3ghz, AMD Radeon HD 7950 OC, 32gb Patriot Viper 3, 2x OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOP edition SSD's in RAID 0 on a Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 in a AZZA Genesis 9000 case.

You should always use Vsync. If you run WoW in your native Windows Resolution then Alt-Tabbing shouldn't be that difficult for your system at all. If your computer is having problems with Alt-Tabbing from Fullscreen then you have issues elsewhere, not with the game.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I experience none of the problems you guys are talking about. Any high end card should ALWAYS run Vsync simply because allowing your GPU to break 60fps (60hz monitor) or 120fps (120hz monitor) is making it work harder than it has to. I have a 7950 over clocked to 1.1ghz core and 6gbps memory clock and I run at 45. C. at 1080P with every graphics option enabled. I experience no hardware lag what so ever. I also checked the reduce hardware lag option. I alt tab constantly. My build is AMD 8350 8 core cpu@4.3ghz, AMD Radeon HD 7950 OC, 32gb Patriot Viper 3, 2x OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOP edition SSD's in RAID 0 on a Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 in a AZZA Genesis 9000 case.

You should always use Vsync. If you run WoW in your native Windows Resolution then Alt-Tabbing shouldn't be that difficult for your system at all. If your computer is having problems with Alt-Tabbing from Fullscreen then you have issues elsewhere, not with the game.

You have pretty much the same hardware as me, except I only have one SSD and am not using RAID. That, and my 7950 is only OC'd to 900 MHz rather than 1100. I don't use the "reduce input lag" option because it also reduces framerate, and I haven't needed it - I don't get input lag to begin with.
Reply Quote
86 Human Priest
I didn't get input lag either, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I still run at a constant 60fps except for the first 3 seconds of Sha. After that I shoot back to 60. I haven't had any problems at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]