What do you think is under Tirisfal?

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
09/06/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Rodorn
I'm guessing that it's a remnant of the Emerald Nightmare.

Wouldn't that kind of count as a Old God?

Remember they said that it just wasn't an old god, not that it wasn't linked. All evils in Warcraft stem from either the Old gods or the Burning Legion / demons so expect to see old god-linked baddies.
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I personally think it is taint left over from the War of the Ancients. We know that demons went every direction possible out of the Well and that the strongest line of resistance was Ravencrest's force to the west/north-west of the Well in the direction of Hyjal.

Given that, it is entirely possible that a massive demonic force fought a battle against another force of resistance (Amani trolls?) and a very powerful demon was killed there and the Sundering buried its essence under the glades.

Another demon related possibility is that Tirisfal was the sight of powerful unholy demonic rituals before the demons were eventually defeated and that the site itself was buried during the Sundering.

So I think either a tainted demon corpse or tainted demonic ritual site ruins are buried under Tirisfal.
90 Undead Warlock

But another Old God was fine until now?
I mean, the avatar's body has to be somewhere, and Aegwynn was the Guardian of Tirisfal.

Why would Aegwynn put Sargeras in Lordaeron which, at the time, was densely populated?

Think, man.

Because it's a dead body, but full of magic that could be used by a third party, so it needs to be guarded? There was no reason for Aegwynn to think that it could make people near it go insane.
But this was disproven by the High Elven fact.
I do think, don't be a jerk.

Weird things have been going on in Tirisfal long, long before Aegwynn battled Sargaras. It can't possibly relate to her.
We also KNOW where the Tomb of Sargeras is, and it's not in Lordaeron. It's on the Broken isles, out in the middle of the ocean.

But the body is not there. It's not under Tirisfal either, though.
90 Night Elf Druid
I still say it's Half-Life 3 >_>
90 Human Paladin
09/07/2012 10:08 AMPosted by Jameswoods
I still say it's Half-Life 3 >_>

Sir you win the internet
100 Human Mage

Wasnt that those Islands Maiev hunted Illidan on in WC3:Frozen Throne?

That's the reason for the emphasis on "real"; the ancient kaldorei ruins, first opened by Gul'dan and, later, Illidan, only contained crazed demons, not the actual body of the dead avatar.

Actually, it did contain the body of Sargeras; Gul'dan just didn't get far enough into the tomb to find it. Illidan did, though, and plucked out one of Sargeras' eyeballs.

As for Tirisfal, the name could be a corruption of "Tyr's Fall," as suggested earlier in this thread.

I'm just trying to get my thoughts in order...

- The Highborne who landed at Tirisfal Glades were driven mad by... something.
- The humans who settled in Tirisfal Glades established a prosperous kingdom that would last for millennia.
- Said human kingdom was destroyed by the Scourge, which could not have had anything to do with whatever may have been lying beneath Tirisfal.
- After the fall of Lordaeron, the area changed hands between the Scourge, the Burning Legion, and the free-willed undead who would later become the Forsaken.
- Apparently Sylvanas is becoming increasingly insane or "not herself." Sylvanas is an undead elf; maybe whatever it is has a particularly bad effect on elves, living or undead.
Edited by Gibbons on 9/7/2012 11:47 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
It could very well be a corrupted Tyr! That's interesting and it fits as he was missing in Ulduar and things in the Plaguelands were named after it. A lost watcher would have the power to cause a lot of damage to whatever it comes into contact with.
We know the whispers affected elves, but we have no evidence is affected humans. Faerie dragons are involved. Animals seem to be attracted to the event.

Most of these things make me think of the emerald dream.
95 Human Paladin
Trolls...

Trolls inhabited the eastern part of Kalimidor before the Sundering. When the High Elves arrived there were no Trolls in the area, they didn't encounter them until they got near where Quel'thalas is today.

What if during the War of the Ancients one the Trolls Loa fell/died in the area fighting Burning Legion. It was shown in Zul'Drak that they can die. What if that corrupted the area and drove the Elves insane as well as forced the Trolls to abandon the area.

Trolls...
90 Troll Rogue
Any possibility of the infinite's involvement here? Most of their stories seem to involve them acting behind the scenes.
15 Blood Elf Hunter

That's the reason for the emphasis on "real"; the ancient kaldorei ruins, first opened by Gul'dan and, later, Illidan, only contained crazed demons, not the actual body of the dead avatar.

Actually, it did contain the body of Sargeras; Gul'dan just didn't get far enough into the tomb to find it. Illidan did, though, and plucked out one of Sargeras' eyeballs.

As for Tirisfal, the name could be a corruption of "Tyr's Fall," as suggested earlier in this thread.

- The humans who settled in Tirisfal Glades established a prosperous kingdom that would last for millennia.
- Said human kingdom was destroyed by the Scourge, which could not have had anything to do with whatever may have been lying beneath Tirisfal.
- After the fall of Lordaeron, the area changed hands between the Scourge, the Burning Legion, and the free-willed undead who would later become the Forsaken.
- Apparently Sylvanas is becoming increasingly insane or "not herself." Sylvanas is an undead elf; maybe whatever it is has a particularly bad effect on elves, living or undead.

Sir you took my insane theory and made sense of it. Good job :)

I never actually woulda thought of that but your right Trisfal in a certain way sounds like Tyr's Fall. Im thinking the Humans that arrived probably had stories of all the Watchers and Vyrkul stuff like that but it turned into legends. There could have been a history to Tyr leaving Ulduar long before the Vyrkul sent the Humans away. So far possibly before the Elves even arrived.

If Tyr wasnt in Ulduar he woulda had to have been somewhere. The originaly Humans probably had an idea of Tyr and maybe he was there, thus naming it Trisfal. Same with Tyr's Hand in EPL.

Im excited now sorta...
90 Draenei Shaman
I like the Tyr idea, but I also think the CDev's wording in their answer implies something else. When they recommended we refrain from digging in Tirisfal, I immediately remembered the dwarves at Bael Modan who apparently dug up something they shouldn't have.

It's easy to dismiss the dwarf quote as a Lord of the Rings reference, but an interview from the World of Warcraft Magazine also mentions that something would be going on at Bael Modan during Cataclysm. I find it hard to believe that the short quest line was what the developer referred to, so obviously whatever was planned was shelved/delayed/forgotten.

Bael Modan is a Titan complex, so if whatever they dug up there is related to what is going on in Tirisfal, it's possible an unknown Titan something could be there too...perhaps involving Tyr.

The Whispering Forest and Bael Modan are two of my most-wanted story expansions, so perhaps I'm too readily combining the two.
90 Blood Elf Priest
The Holy Light could resist the influence of the thing buried under Tirisfal. Which would explain why it would effect the elves and the forsaken but not the kingdom of Lordaeron. It would also explain why Lordaeron was such a spiritual kingdom.

I think it would be cool if it had to do with the Forgotten Shadow.
99 Worgen Warrior

I had never, until now, realized that "Tirisfal" may indeed be "Tyr's Fall" - it makes absolute sense, being that
One of these scrolls spoke of a great leader, a paragon of order and justice, who sacrificed his right hand in a fight against an unfathomable evil.

If it is indeed this, than Blizz (and you who figured this out) just won the internet!
85 Worgen Warrior
As simple and possibly strange theory it may be I do have one. Dreadlords.

Dreadlords are the very creatures that corrupted Sarg, and while they did have their own world the Legion did have a presence on Azeroth thanks to Azshara.

So with the Shattering, who's to say that some Dreadlords didn't end up getting caught under the earth or something of TG, finding more power by some link with the dream, or just manipulating slowly and surely.

That's my theory that I even hope isn't right.
95 Human Paladin
I had never, until now, realized that "Tirisfal" may indeed be "Tyr's Fall" - it makes absolute sense, being that

One of these scrolls spoke of a great leader, a paragon of order and justice, who sacrificed his right hand in a fight against an unfathomable evil.

If it is indeed this, than Blizz (and you who figured this out) just won the internet!

Tyr never fell though. He lost his right hand but he didn't die or was defeated. It would also be odd that the Humans in Tirisfal would misspell his name and shorten it while Tyr's Hand is spelt correctly and unshorten. Even compound names like Southshore and Silverpine are spelt correctly. I'm guessing it's a "happy accident" as the great Bob Ross would say.

As for the "unfathomable evil" it likely was an Old God, heck it could've been Yogg'Saron since he was a watcher of it.

As to where he is now? No idea. He might be in another Ulduar like facility helping the Watchers there.

Another theory on what might be under Tirisfal is something older than the Old Gods. Something that was on Azeroth before the Old Gods and Titans came...
100 Blood Elf Mage
Tyr could work..

Just some speculation:

- Maybe he was severely damaged and lays below Tirisfal unable to really die.. Bloodstone, from vanilla quests, could be his lost energy or 'blood', the only visible remains above ground.

- Maybe the Vrykul were directly connected to him in the past, though now lost and tainted without his direction or presence. Maybe it was Tyr who actually betrayed them to save the Vrykul defective-human children from execution and the reason for his disappearance.

- When the elves came to Tirisfal they could have felt this watcher's pained energies emanating from the area but didn't understand it so they got as far away from it as possible. I'm sure the echoed screams of a dying watcher would freak anyone out in a new unknown land.

- Maybe Sylvannas or the Forsaken have some sort of aura or taint left upon them from their time in Tirisfal. The Val'kyr could have recognize some of these aura/energies(?) from their Vrykul legends. Such a sign belonging to one of their ancient 'gods' would excite them even though corrupted by the scourge. Maybe they have another hidden agenda in helping the forsaken, a hope to be redeemed by Tyr.

- The fairy ring could be the energies of nature converging to repair him? Just a super slow process, giving Tyr a reason to hide from possible attackers. The Sundering could have added to the damage or immobilized him further.

I like this idea the most because it's generally how language covers up original names over time:
09/07/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Ethenil
Edited by Opheron on 9/7/2012 8:17 PM PDT
99 Worgen Warrior
Tyr never fell though. He lost his right hand but he didn't die or was defeated. It would also be odd that the Humans in Tirisfal would misspell his name and shorten it while Tyr's Hand is spelt correctly and unshorten. Even compound names like Southshore and Silverpine are spelt correctly. I'm guessing it's a "happy accident" as the great Bob Ross would say.

He may have fallen sometime before the Sundering, or right after, and there are no records of him doing this.. and this is perhaps why no other Watcher could find him - because he went to this "battle" without telling anyone.

Perhaps the name "tirisfal" is written in the ancient human tongue, or in vrykul, or perhaps it was made to hide the true nature of the Glades, but still give a hint as to what is beneath it.
63 Human Hunter
Deep below the Whispering Forest of Trisfal Glade, far deeper then the deepest depths of the Under city lies a cavern. Any egress has long been blocked off, perhaps from the sundering or some other geological land movement. Alone, sitting in this small cavern sits an empty appearing chair. Strange whispers seem to emanate from the vicinity of the chair.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]