Will healers be treated badly again?

85 Goblin Shaman
lol omg wrath was just spam big heals all the time with no thought of mana god forbid changes came into play to make healers more mana aware OMFG get the hell out of here i cant just flash of light spam anymore OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG bliz you screwed us over

get over your QQing and learn to addapt to the situation that is at hand

hmmm two points here

1) I loved the changes they made when I was in a group that was competent. One that used cc etc meant that heroics did tend to feel more like heroics. Challenging but doable

2)Blizz wanted to bring cc in . So it was meant for all classes to up their game. Not just healers. i was personally disappointed when WTOLK came out and my tank was constantly told not to cc, just aoe everything.

We don't think blizz treated us badly, it was the player base. Players like yourself most probably.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I certainly hope not.

The drop-off in heals from Wrath -> Cata was akin to that numbers nerf they were proposing a while back, but they actually did it to healers.

Wrath: Pump Largest and/or Fastest heal nonstop because spike damage will kill your tank in 1-2 seconds. Mana -- irrelevant.

Cata: Pump your weakest heal nonstop because you'll run out of mana otherwise. Your tank's health will decrease anyway, so pepper in some big heals until you DO run out of mana.

Perhaps I'm a simpleton, but I liked the 10%->100% heals of Wrath. It felt stronger. At the end of the expansion healers were godly. I just signed on again, still in my 378 welfare threads and my base heals are still 10-15k, big heals ~50k noncrit. Not as enjoyable.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Priest
Tanks and DPS have been given extra mechanics to heal/mitigate themselves. If they don't use them and they die, then they can hardly blame a healer straight off the bat.

If Blizzard does the same way as they did at the start of cata, it will actually be easier than the other releases.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I thought the start of Cata in heroics was pretty tough. But then I ran them with 100% randoms. Priests and Shaman seemed to have it particularly rough. But I learned, and I am going to avoid pugs in MoP.

I have cleared HM DS twice now since 5.0.4, and while it is doable, on a few of the encounters, mana was really tough. I felt I had to play at a pretty high level in particular on Madness. It had been on farm, and then it got really tough with 5.0.4. I think part of it was the problems with slowing the Bloods, but part of it was my mana restrictions.

I used Mindbender on CD, I used Inner Focus wisely, I used all my spells situationally, I used HoH, and I used a flask. Here is my log of it:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-q5r7t1qzfvjwap42/dashboard/?s=3870&e=4614

The complexity of playing discipline priest has increased imo, and managing your mana to be able to do it on an encounter now like Madness is much more difficult.

If Blizzard leaves it like it is, I will manage, and perhaps excel. But I believe many are going to find the combination of the new complexity and the tightness of their mana very difficult.

I think there is going to be a widened gap between healers, and I expect we are going to see fewer healers early on if it remains as complex and mana tight as it is presently in the upper current content.

Yes, mana needs to matter, and yes making it yet more complex and demanding will allow the skilled to shine. But the downside is not going to be something in the end which Blizzard investors are likely to appreciate.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I hope not. Cata healing at the start was incredibly stressful. It's not that I wasn't a good healer (I'm frakin' awesome!), it's that when playing with clumsy, careless people, I felt it. White knuckle healing every dungeon is not fun (burn out!).

Me: "Please don't stand in the void zone"
DPS: "Shut up and heal me!"
Me: "Please slow down, I need mana"
Tank: "Shut up and heal me!"

Oh boy...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/03/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Trilha
I remember the start of Cataclysm all too well. Healers were not given tools suited to the task expected of them and the WOW community blamed the healers quickly. I don't know why the decision was made to put them in such a poor position, but I do not want to see that again.

Mm I hope, as well, that it won't be like the beginning of Cata was. I wouldn't say it would difficult to heal or that we weren't given the proper tools so much as our regen was just garbage. Well, maybe the amount we healed for was just a little smaller than it could have been but it wasn't bad. The annoying thing was that each trash pull ran you out of mana. Between the tanks being pummeled and our spells costing more than our regen could keep up with, it wasn't remotely enjoyable or fun. Tis why I quit healing during most of Tier 11.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'll miss how hard cata heroics were starting out before they were all nerfed and I outgeared them. Probably the most fun I've ever had as a healer pugging beginning heroics. MoP beginning heroics probably won't be up to the same standard.

In the very beginning I was not blamed or treated awfully by group members. I had confidence in my ability as a healer and in most those heroics it was clear as day the failures were due to not CCing properly, not following marked targets focus fire, pulling more than you should, and not following mechanics. If I was ever blamed for anything it was because it was completely my fault. I made mistakes and let something hit me that I should have been able to avoid and it either killed me or it kept me from healing long enough for the tank and/or dps to die.

I loved where one mistake could easily cost you the fight and result in a wipe. I wasn't bored the WHOLE way through and I couldn't always just stand in place. You actually needed decent players with you. Some of the people I see in heroics have no right even being carried through a heroic, yet they don't even need to be carried.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Perhaps I'm a simpleton, but I liked the 10%->100% heals of Wrath. It felt stronger. At the end of the expansion healers were godly. I just signed on again, still in my 378 welfare threads and my base heals are still 10-15k, big heals ~50k noncrit. Not as enjoyable.

I've played since 2005 and I would quit playing if they did that and I'm sure many players would follow suit. What challenege is there if one of you heals tops off people no matter what health they are at!? The difference between a good and bad healer would depend entirely on whos latency is better??? That's a downgrade. Why would the game go backwords to a more wotlk style of play?

Why do you need to feel stronger as a healer? You should know that your roll is necessary even if you are not ping ponging someones health bar from low to full every second. 50K is over a third of peoples health pools and more than enough. Catas attempt at triage healing was significantly more intersting then wotlk spam your biggest heal game. I don't want to go back to feeling like a robot just to be more powerful. I am not a heal spamming bot!

Edit: I like that I need to make choices now and that mana isn't trivial. It's a resource and we should have to manage it wisely.
Edited by Stratis on 9/8/2012 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Don't worry, if Pandaria Heroics are too easy for you there are always challenge modes.

1) Normalized gear, you can't "out-gear" them.
2) Tuned to be around the level of BC heroics.
3) Can NOT be done via LFD (but you can form a group and port to them once you've done the dungeon on heroic).
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

If you want to play the big numbers game, I would suggest playing DPS. The only reason we were able to spam away and get those huge numbers was because of the raid mechanics in place at the time. Blizzard realized that most healers didn't find that an enjoyable model.

It certainly didn't make me feel stronger. If anything, it made me feel weaker as a player. Healing was less about my choices and forethought and more about spamming whatever whenever.
Reply Quote
^this
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/08/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Sparklefever
It certainly didn't make me feel stronger. If anything, it made me feel weaker as a player. Healing was less about my choices and forethought and more about spamming whatever whenever.

This. I honestly didn't feel like there was any way to be more skilled as a healer in Wrath. :/

I don't know. Maybe it's just because of my raid team, but I was always considering the spells I was using. And I was always conscious of my mana. I felt powerful, yes, but with that power came a lot of responsibility as I ended up being, for instance, responsible for dispelling on certain fights, offhealing the tanks, or sometimes main healing them. If I messed up, we wiped.

I don't recall it ever feeling mindless until we mindlessly outgeared the content and had it on farm.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/08/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Sparklefever
No idea what you were playing at the time, but I'm gonna assume your Rsham. As a Hpally, especially in 25m, I had zero room for variation in spell choice. It was spam HL on the tank, beacon the other tank, or gtfo. There were FoL builds focusing on spellpower, but it was inferior in almost all cases to actual raid healers.

I was playing my Shaman, yes. And, yeah, I do recall that you guys had pretty much no choice. You spammed one spell or (late late late in ICC content, anyway) MAYBE spammed another spell, depending on if your healing lead would let you play with Flashadin.

I guess because I was always "the raid healer responsible for watching the tank" I had a different experience (plus, playing a different class that used slightly more tools).
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
To answer the question in the thread:

No, people that are to blame for a group dying are easily picked out now. Given at least one person can be vocal and has the appropriate tools in a dungeon, you will be able to pick out who did what wrong.

If you have any issues with people blaming you, and you are not to blame, proof such as death logs from Recount or Deathnotes will be your friend. If you are to blame, stop healing like an idiot. You're holding the group back.

If you don't allow yourself to be blamed for something you're not at fault for, then you won't have an issue, plain and simple.
Edited by Røth on 9/9/2012 1:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]