Character background

99 Worgen Priest
I know it's supposed to be my imagination mixed with accurate lore but I just can't find a good background story for this character. Any help will be gladly appreciated. Thank you and have a cookie /give cookie. :D
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Warlock
Are you even on an RP Server?
Reply Quote
99 Worgen Priest
Not really but I dont think that even matters since I have a gigantic group of friends who love to rp with me but bug me for not having a background, and I was just looking for help. I have characters on other realms (moonguard >.>) but I love playing my priest in rp's
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
It's kind of hard for us to come up with a story for you.

Try telling me about your worgen. Think about the following things:

How does he view being a worgen, is it a curse that he hates and spends as much time in human form as possible, or does he embrace it, reveling in the freedom it gives him?

What sort of person is he?

Is he a noble or a commoner? (the war with the worgen would affect a commoner differently to a noble)

Is he a healer or does he prefer to use the light to destroy his enemies?

How old is he? (The older worgen will be able to remember a time before the wall was built, a younger worgen will know nothing but the wall being in existence).

There are more things to a character than his story, but thinking about these things will at least give you some ideas to play with.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I Have to Agree With Kassalla, Back story is only half of the charater. Most of mine Start off as a simple idea that pops into my head.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Mine usually start with a personality.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/04/2012 07:02 AMPosted by Kassalla
Mine usually start with a personality.

Yes, I start with the personality and the alignment of the character. Such as when I did my Death Knight Tai, I made him chaotic evil and developed his personality from there and once I had a solid character I decided to create his backstory, that would show how he developed into a psychotic, sociophathic killer.

Quite simply we can't do this for you. You have to be the person to come up with these things, what we can do is suggest events as key to your character or remind you of lore (or beat it into you if you want to be a complete idiot about the lore) but we are not here to write backstories and characters for you.

What we want to do is A) RP with our characters and interact with yours B) Make sure you aren't breaking RP rules and the Lore of WoW and/or C) Reading awesome RP stories.

You make your characters and share it with us and we can critique it but we will not create them for you.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
There are a lot of ways to take a stab at it, but I always like to go with "motive" as a starting point. What is the character's goal and how does he/she want to get there? This can tell you a lot about how they deal with other characters and can help refine a personality.
Reply Quote
99 Worgen Priest
I have basics of my character

Name:Coris Amberflame

Built:'5''11' not nessicarily strong but couragious

Personality:He is very outgoing unless you put him into deep thought or he just doesnt want to talk to you because he hates your tone
Reply Quote
99 Worgen Priest
sorry for bad spelling i suck
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Its not the spelling.... that grammer /shiver
Reply Quote
99 Worgen Priest
09/04/2012 03:16 PMPosted by Deadmané
Its not the spelling.... that grammer /shiver

Lol yes im sorry im pretty bad at grammar at times :)
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Warlock
09/04/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Ihealedyou
(yes i know it is 5 in dog years)

Worgen are not dogs. They are Gilneans turned wolfman by a druidic curse. Not a dog.

Personality:He is very outgoing unless you put him into deep thought or he just doesnt want to talk to you because he hates your tone

This is fine, if a bit blandly represented.

You also might want to work on how you present your stuff. I noticed that, in the Slaughtered Lamb Tavern RP (Forum Thread) you were very quick and short and uninteresting.

So was the other guy. You guys need to work on the grammar, drawing stuff out, and lore.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2016793577
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1869407663
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969727199

These are good things to get you started off. http://www.wowpedia.org/Portal:Main is a good place to read up on the lore you need too. Everything related to your character needs to be searched, every little detail about it and everything. From the Old Horde's entry unto Azeroth through the Black portal to the Sundering to the Light. Everything.

We're not gonna make you your background. Work on presentation, lore, and other stuff. We'll be more than happy to point out errors and such.

EDIT: Also, here's some more links.

http://www.wowpedia.org/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=how+to+roleplay

Read all of that. All the links.

EDIT2: Another link: http://www.wowpedia.org/Roleplay

Also, on the grammar bit, you might want to work on commas and paragraphs, as it makes the text seem more dynamic. You might also want to get the book "Tides of War", as it depicts upcoming events. Reading good books is nice, as it gives ideas and helps inspire good writing.
Edited by Bizren on 9/4/2012 3:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
99 Worgen Priest
Thank you so much Bizren for the help. Also I know I am not as good as all you guys but I will try everything

09/04/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Bizren
Worgen are not dogs. They are Gilneans turned wolfman by a druidic curse. Not a dog

I know they were cursed i am just stating that because it is a steryotype against worgen (or at least me because I get it alot)

But I appreaciate the help and I will look on those sights you suggested and work on the slaughtered lamb thank you Bizren
Reply Quote
26 Gnome Warlock
Thank you so much Bizren for the help. Also I know I am not as good as all you guys but I will try everything

Worgen are not dogs. They are Gilneans turned wolfman by a druidic curse. Not a dog

I know they were cursed i am just stating that because it is a steryotype against worgen (or at least me because I get it alot)

But I appreaciate the help and I will look on those sights you suggested and work on the slaughtered lamb thank you Bizren

I edited my previous post as well. Now, I'll keep checking back in for awhile, and I can set up a possible RP Scenario, if you'd like.
Reply Quote
99 Worgen Priest
That would be good practice thank you Bizren you are a big help

/hug
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
I have basics of my character

Name: Coris Amberflame

Built: 5'11"; not necessarily strong but courageous

Personality: He is very outgoing unless you put him into deep thought or he just doesn't want to talk to you because he hates your tone.

That's a good start, although I have to ask if that height is his height in human form or not.

Age wise, he's likely to have been in his mid teens during the construction of the Greymane wall, which started after the second war was finished (going on it being approximately 22 years since the start of the second war)

Now that you have the basic personality, think about what happened to him during his lifetime to make him the person he is today.

Lastly read up on the lore regarding Gilneas and its people http://www.wowpedia.org/Gilneas is a good place to start as it gives a good overview and links that you can follow to find more information. Look at the lore about Gilneas and Azeroth as the history of a people and land your character is part of and work out how he responds to that history, please don't make the mistake of looking for loopholes in the lore to fit your character into.
Reply Quote
99 Worgen Priest
Alright Kassalla I will work on his personality and I was thinking that Coris does not want to be in his human form because he was a weakling in the past and likes to look strong for self-pride
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Death Knight
I want to remind you that setting up a background is not as important as how you play the character as days go by. Your past is just that, your past. The things that happened to you before the events of the starting zone.

Now the idea of rp is to carry on from that point forward. If you put down too much of a past and get caught up in it, you may be limiting yourself to certain behaviors and ways of coping with what is happening to him now. For example:

You were a normal human before the curse. What you did as a normal man living in Gilnaes will affect your life. Were you a carpenter, a studious mage, a strong warrior or maybe even a thief. You can even use a profession to define your character. Perhaps he was a shopkeeper, a blacksmith or an alchemist. If you make some sort of tragedy affect him so he has bad memories of certain things it gives you a stepping stone to be the character he is today. But do not go overboard. It is not necessary to be so struck by too many things that you have to constantly explain why you are an angry young man or a grizzled and vengeful veteran.

Make one or two key events in his life color his personality, but not overwhelm it. Otherwise you become a cliche and boring even if you think it is good. You want people who are potential rpers to interact with your character to accept him. Think about what kind of reception you want. Do you want pity? Compassion? Love? Respect? Or do you want disgust and sneering behind your back and plotting against him at every turn? Remember it is not nice to be hated and feared, you gain lots of enemies and few if any friends.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid

I don't really understand why you keep putting the "yes, it is 5 in dog years" part, because worgen aren't dogs. Yeah, sure, everyone teases them that they are, but it's kind of like how draenei are space goats; they're not actually goats, but doesn't mean we don't tease them about their hooves.
Plus, you have it backwards. 35 years is 245 in dog years. Because dogs age approximately 7 years for every one human year, except for their first year, where they age about twice that much, since they're basically physically mature by a year. However I don't think that year entirely counts when you do the calculations, since dogs live about 10-15 years, and 15 times 7 is 105, and that's without adding that extra seven xD.

tyl (today you learned :P )

09/05/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Sydric
The things that happened to you before the events of the starting zone.

As long as you remember that you don't necessarily have to start in the starting zone. While I agree, the character in question would have to be in Gilneas (because of the wall), he doesn't have to start in the city and go through all of the same procedures as everyone else did in-game. There could be other alternatives, such as: he was a farmer, or worked at the fishery, he was hunting, he was a noble at one of his estates... Whatever, when he was bitten and turned.

09/05/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Sydric
Remember it is not nice to be hated and feared, you gain lots of enemies and few if any friends.

Something about this line made me burst out laughing xD . It reminds me of something they tell you in kindergarten xD
"Be nice to Jonny or you're going in the time out, mister."

09/04/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Bizren
So was the other guy.

If you were referring to Ookie, then I apologize about that xD I need to work on her character more >.> .

That's another thing, Ihealedyou, characters have this horrible tendency to evolve into something more (or in some cases, less) than what you had initially intended for them. It's almost like they take their own lives away from you, and take control; all you have to do, is be the conduit for them xD.

Often times, my characters start off of a whim, a fleeting thought, or a desire to play "that sort" of character. So I create them. Sometimes it only starts with an idea as to how they would react in a situation, sometimes it's just a comment that crosses my mind, and sometimes it's a full-blown character, or a full-blown back-story (very rarely is it a back-story, though).

I create them, and then, to be completely honest with you, I bullsh*t my way through everything else until BAM, I got myself a pretty decent character. By bullsh*t my way through everything else, I mean, I'll read through lore and be like "Hmmm, that's interesting. BAM. Now she traveled to _________ for a week and had crazy woohoo with some random person."

Sometimes it ends up horrible, and sometimes I get an amazing character out of it that I simply fall in love with.
For example, Althmyst. She didn't come into creation until after Lavie got her red drake mount in the game, and after that, I was like "Hmmm... Dragons are capable of thought and feelings. I think I'm going to have her talk once and a while." Before I knew it, occasional comments turned into what Althmyst is today.
On the flip side, look at Ookie. She's boring and doesn't like to socialize with people. I don't even know why I try with her sometimes xD.

Another thing I find that helps is "walking a mile in your character's shoes". Actually picture yourself in that situation. I find when you're starting roleplaying, if you put a little of yourself into your character -give them one of your flaws, strengths, likes, or dislikes- then it's a hell of a lot easier to understand them, because you understand yourself, right?

Hope that helped xD.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]