[PSA] Limit your FPS or risk overheating!

Support Forum Agent
Please remember to keep threads constructive and relevant to the original topic. Also, please to keep in mind the Forum Guidelines and the Code of Conduct. Thanks!
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I'll go ahead and post this in the Tech Support (PC) forum as well. While desktops and most PCs are less affected by this, it can help in the overall scheme of things, as every source of heat you dial back means less total heat for the system to deal with.

Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
okay, back again, it has gone to hell, the stuttering is back, the fps drop is back, its just all back and I can't take it anymore. Have tried all the blue responses, all the support articles, all the community articles, all my stuff is up to date, fresh install of everything, different pc's. Tried this thread tried this one: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6712862413?page=1 @ melynda's post.....tried this one: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6522902440?page=2

The bottom line is this: It is not us, whatever happened patch 5.0, broke the game for so many people and there still has yet to be an official word on this.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Ark, can you make a new thread with your specific issue? We'll go try to help troubleshoot it from there, since this thread isn't the right place for it. It'll be another ping pong back and forth until we get to the root cause, but at least we'll (hopefully) be able to get to the root cause after the back and forth where we can see what worked and what didn't. :)

Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Here is what's going on recently. I don't know if all these issues are related? Hopefully we will have answers soon.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6759237395#1

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758256321?page=3

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6522902440?page=6#101
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
Ark, none of that has anything to do with this sticky. Do not use this sticky to promote different issues. Use the threads you already created for those issues.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
With all do respect omegal, it could be partially related. As the issues described in my other threads have fps problems related to the fact that the video cards are running wild as well. How is that not a possible relation. Add to the fact that it started with talent patch as well. I'm not using anything to promote anything. If you've read every single one of those posts on the threads I linked, and read the op post here, you wouldn't make such a statement. But whatever, you can do what you want. When you make such statements though, I don't really care what you think or what you are trying to accentuate here.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
10/04/2012 06:08 AMPosted by Arkticsizzle
With all do respect omegal, it could be partially related. As the issues described in my other threads have fps problems related to the fact that the video cards are running wild as well. How is that not a possible relation. Add to the fact that it started with talent patch as well. I'm not using anything to promote anything. If you've read every single one of those posts on the threads I linked, and read the op post here, you wouldn't make such a statement. But whatever, you can do what you want. When you make such statements though, I don't really care what you think or what you are trying to accentuate here.

unless you for some reason, are uncapping your fps on purpose, and letting it run at 400 fps and overheat, it really sin't related, not in slightest. the game is meant to be played with an fps cap, that's why it's actually on by default. in fact, on by default is vsync too so even the default fps cap of 150 is ignored it's usually locked at 60fps or 30fps depending on hardware. if your fps is capped and it's still having issues. then it is 100% unrelated to tia's issue. His issue pertains to, and only to, disabling those caps and the way wow throttles load when uncapped.

also, don't take it the wrong way. I am not diminishing your issue at all. Just trying to keep this thread on topic and see to it that you get help from mack in the right places.
Edited by Omegal on 10/4/2012 1:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This thread is more of an FYI and isn't meant to be a troubleshooting thread. Constructive conversations directly related to this topic can be posted here; but for the issues you are mentioning, this would best be suited in a new forum post.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Req
i play on low settings and do /console maxfps 35 and my background one is set to really low but not 0 and i get like 60c with my fans on 5k but thats because i play on a old mid 2009 mbp, i was wondering if my fans are on 5k+ all the time to keep it nice and cool is that a problem or i can always keep the fans on that high and i wont experience any problems doing so. also i was wondering about 1 more thing my graphics card is the geforce 9400m and even with my setting set to low i still get lagg spikes now and then so i was wondering how much would a better video card cost and which one i should get to be able to get atleast like 50fps with no lagg spikes.
Edited by Vynirath on 10/6/2012 4:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
10/06/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Vynirath
i play on low settings and do /console maxfps 35 and my background one is set to really low but not 0 and i get like 60c with my fans on 5k but thats because i play on a old mid 2009 mbp, i was wondering if my fans are on 5k+ all the time to keep it nice and cool is that a problem or i can always keep the fans on that high and i wont experience any problems doing so. also i was wondering about 1 more thing my graphics card is the geforce 9400m and even with my setting set to low i still get lagg spikes now and then so i was wondering how much would a better video card cost and which one i should get to be able to get atleast like 50fps with no lagg spikes.

You cannot upgrade the video card in most laptops, and certainly not in any Apple laptops. You're stuck with the 9400m I'm afraid. As for the rest, you might want to take a look at the original post in the thread and scroll down about halfway through that first post to Perma's nice writeup on cleaning out the dust in your computer. It has good information that users should follow from time to time. I suspect your laptop is due for a good cleaning session. That'll knock down a lot of the heat in your system.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
You may also wish to disable SSAO in the WoW options.

I have a sneaking suspicion WoW is now using a parallel processing language and offloading functions to the GPU.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
You may also wish to disable SSAO in the WoW options.

I have a sneaking suspicion WoW is now using a parallel processing language and offloading functions to the GPU.

The only parallel processing languages available on OS X for GPUs is CUDA and OpenCL, and WoW uses neither AFAIK.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Meh
I understand from this sticky that resetting to defaults will *not* cap FPS - is that correct?

This issue needs to go a bit further than the forums. I rarely read the forums and have been running MoP successfully for the past month, but was really concerned when I dropped by regarding another issue (in-game video) and came across this thread.

This needs to be either patched ASAP - I'd suggest patching Mac clients so that the FPS is capped by default - or listed as a feature on the Launcher news.

I wonder how many of us are burning out our video cards without knowing it. Blizz, this is irresponsible.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I just checked and when deleting the config.wtf file, the game does default to FPS caps enabled, but the foreground FPS cap (the SET maxFPS "NUMBER" entry) is set to 100, which is too high.

The only valid setting above 60 should be 120, and that should only be enabled by a (new) preference checkbox labeled "Allow Stereoscopic 3D mode". The reason that 120 FPS is a valid option for Stereoscopic 3D mode is because each half of the 3D filter uses its own frame, in alternation, thus needing twice the number of frames in a second compared to 2D rendering, thus 60 FPS max becomes 120 FPS max, as each eye/half of the 3D filter requires 60 FPS to operate and 120 FPS allows unbroken alternation of frames to create a 3D image.

The issue here is not that the FPS cap isn't in place by default, it is that the FPS cap is too high and needs to be at a maximum of 60 outside of 3D monitor use.

The other big issue is that there is no dynamically updating numerical indicator for the sliders as you move them in the UI. That is why the only current way to get precise FPS caps is to enter their values into the config.wtf file or by entering the /console maxFPS NUMBER and /console maxFPSbk NUMBER commands into the in-game chat and restarting the client after logging out. A numerical indicator, as well as scroll wheel fine tuning while mousing over the slider bar (since mouse DPI varies so much between different mice) needs to be put into place. Diablo 3 has the dynamically updating numierical indicator, but both games need the scroll wheel fine tuning option.

Edited by Tiapriestess on 10/14/2012 9:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
84 Human Rogue
One thing, you don't need your background FPS @ 60, that's a bit excessive. The best bet here would be to limit the background FPS to a very low number, 4-8 is sufficient. This option caps FPS at the specified value when Wow's application window is in the background, IE: minimized or in windowed mode, when the wow window doesn't have focus.

You shouldn't need to work your card that hard when the wow process is in the background.

Also, quoted from the "World of Warcraft performance issues for mac" documentation link: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-running-slow-or-choppy-mac

You can also limit the maximum frame rate while World of Warcraft is in the background or minimized with the following chat command: /console maxfpsbk 3. You can replace 3 with any other small number. The purpose of this command is to prevent World of Warcraft from running at maximum while it is out of focus.

Otherwise, good write up! :)
Edited by Bind on 10/15/2012 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Apologies for the bump. Testing for Tia if unsubbed accounts can post here.
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Rogue
That's what I'm thinking too... Something in WoW's code is causing all this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]