Scroll of Resurrection, 80 to Raids

(Locked)

90 Worgen Druid
Hello all,

A friend of mine was kind of enough to send me a SoR and I now have a 80 Resto Druid. I really like the idea of the SoR because I think it was made for people like me. A little background, I started in 2006 but I wasn't really serious about playing because I hit level 15 and all my friends, who told me I should play, stopped playing. Being not familiar with the mechanics and burned on my first MMO, Matrix Online, I didn't progress very far as a Druid. I did however begin to like running dungeons and PvP, ie Deadmines and Warsong Gulch. However, dungeons were difficult for me to dedicate time to because I had a young child.

So eventually I re-rolled and went Rogue. It was a much more enjoyable experience for solo play. Not that I dislike the druid, but for PvP, it was better. Eventually, through farming Tiny Crimson Whelp pets and mining, I made a 39 Rogue Twink and just sat in the Battlegrounds for months. As a casual gamer I earned Master Seargent on that toon and I was having fun. My plan was to stay at 39 and farm Honor to get level 60 PvP gear. Unfortunately, I had to quit playing because I couldn't afford the month to month fee.

I came back around BC briefly and accidently leveled up. My fault for actually not reading the changes in the game. But I had to start leveling and my twink status was over since BC ushered in new chants. Oh well back to grinding. I didn't stay back though because I didn't have the BC expansion yet. I eventually got the battlechest for applying for a job with Blizzard's cinematic team. I didn't get the job but I got the BC upgrade. I played a little then and realized mounts were now in low level BGs and so much of the dynamics had changed. Also, so much time had passed that people who I had played with before were raiding later Tiers and I wasn't even close to T1 gear. Eventually I gave up playing altogether and would only come back to Azeroth when trials would happen, getting more and more discouraged about not knowing what was going on.

Along comes the SoR and a friend at work who plays with her husband in an adults with kids guild. She offers to send me a scroll and tells me that they are always looking for people to join and they are a progressing guild. We talk a little about their needs and she mentions I can play whatever I want, but they needed Healers. So I remember my fun dungeon days as a healer druid and decide to roll back to druid for this. So now I am 80 Worgen Resto Druid trying to gear up for end game raids. I know this can be done but how does one do it? Clearly everytime there is a new expansion the Epics are surpassed by rares and greens but how does one get epics again. Right now I am soloing in Hyjal and am near dinging to 81. I am also trying to farm gold as my Rogue was on a different server and 75g aint much to start with. I don't want to be the guy to burden a newly joined guild that is trying to setup Raids and I clearly am not ready to head into Raids. So how should I start to gear up for Raids? What is the best way to do it solo and when should I start using the LFD feature? Keep in mind I have no end game experience but I am trying to soak up as much info as possible. These questions are ones that I did not find answers in my search though. It seems they are all common knowledge that I am missing. Thanks in advance and I apologize for my rant.
Edited by Peryn on 9/6/2012 5:55 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Rogue
Wow, that's a lot of backstory to ask "how do I gear for raids as a level 80". The first task is getting to the level cap, you can't really start gearing for them before that as the entry level raid stuff you can't even buy until you are level 85 (very soon to be 90, like in 2 weeks).

You CAN run lots of dungeons to level from 80-90 and work on building up your stockpile of justice points (and even a few valor points), so when you get to level cap you can buy the starting raid gear right away. From there you'll need to fill in the rest of the slots with heroic dungeon items before you can raid, but you won't be able to get into heroic dungeons until you get what you can from the level-cap normal dungeons.

So work up to level cap, when you get there start in on the level-cap normal dungeons, then the level-cap heroic dungeon(s), then you will be ready for raid finder while you search for a place in a normal-mode raiding group. Eventually that group will get through the normal-mode raid at which time they'll move on to the heroic version of the raid.

Sometimes the raiding group you end up in is full of fail. So if you get to a point where you think you surpass their capabilities, find yourself another one that's progressed a little farther.
90 Worgen Druid
Ok thanks for the info.
After you get leveled, or when you have a little free time go grab herbalism and mining professions, these are two professions that you just reap the profits from the land and put the stuff on the auction house. That's the quickest way to get your money up, within the ToS rules.
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/04/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Syrinx
After you get leveled, or when you have a little free time go grab herbalism and mining professions, these are two professions that you just reap the profits from the land and put the stuff on the auction house. That's the quickest way to get your money up, within the ToS rules.

He wasn't asking about gold, he was asking about getting geared up for raids. And it's NOT the fastest way, it's just the fastest and easiest way without needing to know the economy of the server/faction you're on. The fastest way involves buying under-priced items and reselling them for a profit, OR doing the mining/jewelcrafting/alchemy shuffle if you have characters with those professions leveled.

And after a month I think the OP now knows what to do, and may not ever come back to read your advice.
85 Human Mage
Well I can give you some advice based on what I'm doing right now at 90...

First, as others have said, you'll want to hit level cap.
You also mentioned money, so if you have professions be sure to gather materials as you level and craft things and sell what you don't use. Professions are especially important these days as professions will also provide you with some nice stat boosts and the ability to craft some nice items to get you raid-ready at 90.

Second, once you hit pandaria, head to valley of the four winds and go to halfhill market to start your farm and be sure to check it each day (if you can). Carrots on my server are selling for around 200-250g per 5 last I checked. (you get 5 carrots per crop you plant). So that's another way to make some money.

Third, once you're 90 you will want to do dailies, they will give you some gold (about 20g per quest), and they will give you some valor points, which you can eventually use to buy items that are raid quality.

Finally, at 90, running heroics, scenarios, and such will be your primary source of item acquirement. If you don't have good enough gear at 90 to run heroics, just do some normal dungeons and scenarios and quest through the dread wastes, that should get you there fairly easily.

So essentially, here's the tl;dr version/summary:
Level up and try to keep your professions up-to-date (if you can), quest more than dungeon while you level to 90 (be sure to do each dungeon at least once for the quests), once you hit 90 do the faction dailies that you've unlocked and maybe unlock some more, run heroics.

And that's about it!
MVP
85 Goblin Warrior
10/04/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Avanna

He wasn't asking about gold, he was asking about getting geared up for raids. And it's NOT the fastest way, it's just the fastest and easiest way without needing to know the economy of the server/faction you're on. The fastest way involves buying under-priced items and reselling them for a profit, OR doing the mining/jewelcrafting/alchemy shuffle if you have characters with those professions leveled.

And after a month I think the OP now knows what to do, and may not ever come back to read your advice.

09/06/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Peryn
I am also trying to farm gold as my Rogue was on a different server and 75g aint much to start with. I don't want to be the guy to burden a newly joined guild that is trying to setup Raids and I clearly am not ready to head into Raids.

Just saying.

While the OP is now 86, he probably has figured out how to make some gold, but the information provided by Syrinx was not bad information, just not a blanket truth.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]