Player Housing

100 Worgen Warlock
I know that it was tested in some some beta/alpha but I think Blizzard should give it another try. It would be miraculous for the RPers and you if you could decorate them, Blizzard would gain a lot more girl subscribers. I mean there could be a zone in the capital cities where there could be little apartments that you pay gold to buy, more gold for houses. But it seems like there would be some flaws with it. I'm not coming up with any as of now, but I'm sure other people could find them. So, find some flaws and I'll try to answer them.
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Druid
09/02/2012 11:54 PMPosted by Blackwell
Blizzard would gain a lot more girl subscribers

Please leave the internet.

Please, just do it.

On a more serious note, Blizzard has already said now a lot of times, so there is no point in repeating the question. Sure, it might be worth another shot, but this is Blizzards game, if they can't get it to work, they will see little point in trying.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Yes, flaws.

Would Gnomish or Goblish utilities be best? And how would they accept payment?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
IF they do it I would like a small apartment in Ironforge for Mordran and a small hut with a hammock for my Troll Druid
Reply Quote
62 Human Death Knight
This is not LOTRO. If you want to look into it the designs they have there are instances for the inside of the house. The furniture they use is ugly and not very practical or very little variety.

Considering all the trouble with instances and failures with the phasing, do you really want to add to it? I would be happy with more open buildings and places that are already decorated. More small villages like the Gilnaen ruins and Surwich.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Blizzard would gain a lot more girl subscribers.

Please go away. If you think that is what attracts girls then you don't know anything.
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin

Please go away. If you think that is what attracts girls then you don't know anything.
^^^
I don't play video games (or RP) to play house.
Edited by Istella on 9/3/2012 4:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Druid
09/03/2012 04:51 AMPosted by Istella

^^^

>_>

<_<

*Tackles*

<---Lia :P
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Priest
It would be miraculous for the RPers

How would isolating RP in instanced places help the RP community?

What an ignorant and creepy thing to say.

I mean there could be a zone in the capital cities where there could be little apartments...

Like a red light district? Ew. Second Life is thataway----------->
Edited by Ionie on 9/3/2012 7:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
Blizzard said no over 2 years ago... stop asking for it.
Reply Quote
84 Orc Shaman
Housing yes, for RP servers that would be great. Responding negatively to Blackwell because blizzard once said no isn't a reason to troll him. Think about this, you're playing a game that some ones imagination created - is that playing house? Blizzard created a universe and in a sense you're already in a house, you're rping in someones world by participating - people choose to go deeper with RP creating a story for the character and taking on a role away from who they're in reality. It's no different than creating an imaginative world.

Gaining player housing would be another in depth feature and even like Everquest 2, it could bring in more professions like woodworking etc.

Player housing is a good idea for more content,market circulation, player involvement between each other and WoW.

The programming is just a pain, and the demand must not be high enough. Perhaps the next MMO will have the feature.
Edited by Kiraeg on 9/3/2012 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Ok, responding to the suggestion and ignoring the horrible stereotype of girl gamers.

Player housing is something that would be nice to have but it's not likely to be implemented in a game as big as wow.

They already have to have seperate servers to handle instances where the scenery doesn't change, the mobs inside those instances don't change and there is a maximum on how many players can enter a given instance, whether it's 5 in the case of dungeons, or 10, 25 or 40 depending on the raid instance.

Now in regards to Player housing, they would have to set a limit on how many can enter the house so that they don't get people trying to cram 100 people into a 'house' meant for 3 and so that it is fair for other people who want to use the housing at the same time. While it would be easy to adapt the current instance technology to handle player housing, it would mean a lot of extra work for the game designers and the extra data has to be stored somewhere, meaning blizzard would have to purchase extra servers and you can bet they would reclaim that expenditure from us in the form of higher fees to play the game.

The next problem aside from making sure that everyone who wants access to player housing can get it, and the related problem of guilds wanting a private meeting hall, is the problem of furniture. Currently, the only furniture we can use in game the way it was meant to be used are the benches, chairs and beds (sort of), the dressers, cupboards etc are really only decoration. Would you expect blizzard to create animations for those as well? Or how about the fact that some of the furniture is just plain ugly? Would you allow people to have different colours for things like quilts and curtains? How would you even make those sorts of things available? Granted things like bed linen, cushions, towels, soft furnishings could be made by tailors, but what about the bigger pieces like chairs, tables and so on? A new profession maybe? Two, if you include the fact that the raw materials for that profession have to come from somewhere.

I'm not a developer, and I can see a lot of things that would have to be taken into consideration and worked out before a line of code is written. Player housing is not as easy as some people think. There is a lot of details that have to be worked out and frankly, even though some players want it, blizzard obviously doesn't feel the demand is high enough to justify the extra workload.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Req
Blizzard would gain a lot more girl subscribers
.. I'm a bit confused with this statement. Would you mind clarifying this?

09/03/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Amunta
Blizzard said no over 2 years ago... stop asking for it.
Really? Not that I don't believe you, but rather because I want to learn more things about this, do you have a source talking about Blizzard's concept of this?
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
09/03/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Kiraeg
Think about this, you're playing a game that some ones imagination created - is that playing house? Blizzard created a universe and in a sense you're already in a house
- I have no idea what point you are trying to argue here, it makes absolutely no sense to me so I'm gonna go with 'no.'

No, RP is not playing house.

I play video games to shoot or stab the bad guys, get cool gear, and save the world.
I RP because I like to write, to think about different characters and what motivates them, and try to make the game more immersive and entertaining for myself.

I do not play video games or RP to pick out doilies that match the curtains.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
^^^

Agreed..

./pounces.

This isn't the sims, second life or any other random MMO. There's plenty of empty property around though that you can 'acquire' for rp purposes. if you really want to rp being in a house for a meeting place.

One of the most entertaining ingame rps I did was in Brill's inn (precata) where you could sit down round a table and talk.... but you don't need a segregated house to do that in. We ended up having a few random RPs walk in and begin interacting... that was the best part of it. Can't do that in a separate instance server.
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Hey Lia, hey War. ^_^

Haven't seen you guys around much. :P
Edited by Istella on 9/3/2012 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well, they are introducing farmville mechanics, I wouldn't be surprised if they would eventually introduce instanced player housing. Guild halls would be excellent too.

I for one, would love this.

Particularly if they spread your housing out over the various towns and smaller cities in the world.
Edited by Mistforge on 9/3/2012 5:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
09/03/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Istella
Haven't seen you guys around much. :P

I'm around... just bored witless atm... no rps up that interest me at present. ./dies of boredom.

09/03/2012 05:42 PMPosted by Mistforge
Particularly if they spread your housing out over the various towns and smaller cities in the world.

Yeah but then who would you rp with? Where would the spontaneous RP come from? People will just be holed up in these micro worlds... clogging the servers up immensely. Logistically this isn't possible, nor would it be a good idea anyway.

Also most games that have player housing work on micro transactions. People spend hundreds on items for their houses... you really want Blizz to fall down that route? ./shudder.
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
09/03/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Waraila
I'm around... just bored witless atm... no rps up that interest me at present. ./dies of boredom.
Yeah, same. :/
RPs I do join seem to fall apart or I end up having to leave. I've had an idea for one of my own rattling around in my head for a while, but I'm not sure if I have the time to TM a thread right now.

09/03/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Waraila
Yeah but then who would you rp with? Where would the spontaneous RP come from?
War has a point, it would go pretty far to killing off walk-up RP if everyone was sequestered into their own little houses/guildhalls. As if RP wasn't clique-y enough. :/
Edited by Istella on 9/3/2012 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
09/03/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Vynathlon
Really? Not that I don't believe you, but rather because I want to learn more things about this, do you have a source talking about Blizzard's concept of this?

Gamescom 2010, Tom Chilton stated they had no plans to ever add housing to WoW. With good reasons. Developers spend thousands of hours building the environment and world we play in, why would they add a housing system to take people out of it and keep them in instances. Not only would be a waste of resources but also do the exact opposite of what they have been trying to do from the start, keep people out in the world.

Once again this is World of Warcraft not House of Warcraft.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]