Video Recording Options Grayed Out.

90 Draenei Shaman
Hello, since the patch i'm unable to adjust any options related to video recording, everything in that options menu is just grayed out. Thank you.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
It's probably because the 64 bit client is the default now.

Video recording is still not going in the 64 bit client.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
For now, please use the 32-bit client for movie recording. This will be addressed in a future update.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Ok, sorry for a double post, but I guess I figured this out. I did not realize that there were separate installs of WoW for a 32 and 64 clients and it does look like that explains why recording use to work and why it no longer does (at least by default).

So can someone quickly summarize or point to a link that discusses the pros/cons of 32 bit or 64 bit clients. Thanks.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
Movie recording relies on certain parts of the Quicktime API.

Essentially the issue is the movie recording aspect of the wow client relies on parts of the 32 bit version of this API that the 64 bit client simply does not have.

The default client is now the 64 bit client which is why your seeing it come up now.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
09/05/2012 10:37 AMPosted by Machkhan
For now, please use the 32-bit client for movie recording. This will be addressed in a future update.

Every time I try to launch the 32-bit version of WoW, the game crashes.
Reply Quote
Why has there not been an update for this thread? I don't want to download the 32 bit just to find out my game will crash
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
11/08/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Eoth
Why has there not been an update for this thread? I don't want to download the 32 bit just to find out my game will crash

There hasn't been an update for this yet. This is still being addressed by our team.

You don't have to download the 32-bit version, as every install includes it. From the launcher, hit Options > Game Preferences and select the 32-bit client.
Any update on this? I'm anxious to start recording on the 64 bit client.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
When the 64-bit APIs are updated on Apple's side, Blizzard will be able to add the functionality into the 64-bit client. Until then, you'll need to use the 32-bit client. There is no difference in recording in 32-bit or 64-bit modes, only how much memory the client can access (and a very slight speed boost) in 64-bit mode. Blizzard will put up a big shiny sticky the moment they are able to give you 64-bit recording capability.

:)

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
It is sort of working right now if you add the following line to your config.wtf :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6489880421

[Movie Recording] 64-bit Movie Recording is disabled by default. You can enable it by opening up your config.wtf file and adding this line:
SET MovieRecording64BitsEnable "1" There may be some issues with the 64 bit movie recording.

Tested it just now and while it mostly records there's really bad blurring when you turn as well as when you run but that could be because of my movie recording settings. I double checked I was running the 64 bit client by checking the build/version info at the login screen on startup (x64 vs x86). As well as checking in the Activity Monitor (it shows Intel (64 bit) by the wow process)

But it's definitely working in the current 64 bit client.

PS : It's amusing the way I figured this out. I launched wow in console mode , pressed tilde and went "help *recording*" to show all Cvars with recording in their name. Then googled MovieRecording64BitsEnable and found a post by me (!) leading me to the sticky :P
Edited by Bluspacecow on 1/2/2013 3:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
OK so I have wow running in 32bit using Razer game booster to record it. I look at my recordings and see what i recorded but when I go to watch it, it plays fast forward and skips around. The time at the bottom in windows media player plays at normal speed so I know it's not the media player. Any ideas?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Razer game booster? I'm not familiar with this. Are you using the Mac client? It has a native movie recording feature.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Is there any update on the video corruption? I haven't recorded anything since Dragon Soul. : \

Would a fresh install work?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Is there any update on the video corruption? I haven't recorded anything since Dragon Soul. : \

Would a fresh install work?

Our team requested users who have video corruption with the movie recorder try the PTR and see if the issue is resolved.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Sorry if I'm necroing a thread, but just wanted to confirm that I am getting corrupt video on the live 64-bit client right now. Haven't switched back to try the 32-bit one yet. My troubleshooting and findings:

Recording a video seems to work and compress fine only sometimes. First attempt it was completely garbled noise. Second six-second clip compressed fine. All subsequent short-clip recordings were just garbled, rapidly repeating version of the second clip that compressed just fine. Quitting the client and trying again only sometimes results in a complete video—but again, after the first, I always got garbled repeats.

I had a custom movie output path to an external drive, so I tried the internal (where the client app resides), as well as other externals, all with the same results.

Hope that helps!
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you please create a new thread about this issue? If you're having issues with the newly released 64-bit movie recording feature, then this is different than what the thread was originally posted about.

For new reports like this, we want separate threads.

Thanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]