5.4 PVP Stat Guide

90 Orc Warrior
Blizzard's game design strikes again!

sigh

I know this game has an odd streak of making things not fun, but I don't think they've ever completely destroyed an aspect of the game and made it so backwards as they've done with ilvl scaling and WPvP
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Warheal #1
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
PVP is ruined, PVP Resilience is useless ANYONE using a Valor Gear can easily drop anyone PVP geared. In other words, do not do arena guys!

It's pointless, my cousin left WoW because of how they treated Warriors back in Cata!

Overall, Valor Gear > Conquest Gear > Honor Gear > Justice Gear.

Agility = Intellect = Strength > PVP Power > PVP Resilience. I made my gear fully PVP Resilience and realized how worthless this game has become!

Probably going to play Star Wars The Old Republic soon, or back to my good old Fable The Lost Chapters and Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 games. Hell, I'll probably play GTA 5 when it comes out on PC who knows!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Eldacar,

I need an argument settled.

Simple question:
Does 1% resilience always equal 1% damage reduction?

Example:

72% resilience = 72% damage reduction
79% resilience = 79% damage reduction
etc
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
1% PVP Resilience = 0.044% damage reduce!

I have 75.31% PVP Resilience (3,880) and I am doing 3.31% damage reduce.

If you had 100% PVP Resilience then you will only be able to 4.4% damage reduce.

Look at my gear it is 100% Tyrannical but fully PVP Resilience Gems on it. I did it for the test and let me tell you, I was most disappointed! Blizzard ruined this game!! You best wear PVE Gear in Arena.
Reply Quote
This guide is terrible, it doesn't really say anything. How on earth did this get stickied?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This guide is terrible, it doesn't really say anything. How on earth did this get stickied?
MvP , and highly doubt the mods even PvP so they just stickied.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin

Broadly saying the guide is terrible without offering any specific examples or suggestions doesn't give me much to work with, and doesn't lend much credibility to your statement.

I am sure there are ways to improve my guide, and I regularly make updates and revisions with that in mind. It may not be perfect but it has been cross-posted and independently stickied at MMO-Champion, and at Arenajunkies where it is one of the most highly rated posts of all time. It has been translated into at least 3 different languages by dedicated fans, referenced by Blizzard numerous times, and collectively has well over a quarter of a million views.

Although your opinion seems to be in the minority, I still respect it and I am always open to hearing any specific suggestions you or anyone else may have.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
Eldacar,

I need an argument settled.

Simple question:
Does 1% resilience always equal 1% damage reduction?

Example:

72% resilience = 72% damage reduction
79% resilience = 79% damage reduction
etc

It really depends on the wording, there is a big big difference between absolute damage reduction and relative damage reduction.

Lets say the player in your example is being hit by an attack that always does 100 damage in PVE settings. With the baseline 72% resilience he will take 28 damage, that is 72% absolute damage reduction. If his resilience increases to 79% he will now take 21 damage, that is 79% absolute damage reduction. The change from 28 damage taken down to 21 is an absolute reduction of 7 damage or 7%. However it is a relative reduction of 25% because the 7 damage that was removed is 25% of 28, which was the original damage taken.

1% resilience will always reduce your damage taken by the same absolute amount, but the relative amount changes depending on how much damage reduction you already have.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Thank you.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
10/02/2013 05:11 PMPosted by Fâithful
PVP is ruined, PVP Resilience is useless ANYONE using a Valor Gear can easily drop anyone PVP geared. In other words, do not do arena guys!

THIS IS JUST NOT TRUE....

Why, several times, I forgot to switch into my PvP Gear...and while in PvE 530 gear, I could NOT kill anyone in Arena...And I was dropping like a sack.

PVP GEAR STILL RULES IN ARENA.
Edited by Reeva on 10/16/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
97 Undead Priest
HELLO Bilzz, can you fix the BG's or not?????
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Choosing the best gem for survivability is significantly more complicated. Stamina gems will almost always provide you with more effective health, but Resilience gems don't lag too far behind in the effective health they add. Additionally Resilience gems scale up in value proportional to the amount of healing you receive because they increase the amount of effective health restored by that healing. For now I recommend gemming for resilience if you are looking to increase your survivability, but I will look at this topic in more depth in a future guide.

I would be very interested in any updates on this part here.
Edited by Heisen on 10/29/2013 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
10/28/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Heisen
Choosing the best gem for survivability is significantly more complicated. Stamina gems will almost always provide you with more effective health, but Resilience gems don't lag too far behind in the effective health they add. Additionally Resilience gems scale up in value proportional to the amount of healing you receive because they increase the amount of effective health restored by that healing. For now I recommend gemming for resilience if you are looking to increase your survivability, but I will look at this topic in more depth in a future guide.

I would be very interested in any updates on this part here.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to tackle the Stam vs Resil guide yet, but I will put a link here when I do.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I would just like to clarify because it seems that my formulas are wrong,

You are saying that formula for pvp damage modifiers would be..
PvP Power: [1 + (Ppow)/400/100]
PvP Resil: [1 - .72 - (Resil)/1125/100]
Which effectively makes the PvP Modifier to be..
[1 + (Ppow)/400/100][1 - .72 - (Resil)/1125/100]

The formula I had been using is..
[1 - .72 - (Resil)/1125/100 + (Ppow)/400/100]

which is, I guess, what you said is a common misconception.

Also, not entirely sure why you changed % based to % based for the resil. I got the same modifier by just using a coefficient.
Edited by Brewskie on 11/4/2013 2:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
You are saying that formula for pvp damage modifiers would be..
PvP Power: [1 + (Ppow)/400/100]
PvP Resil: [1 - .72 - (Resil)/1125/100]
Which effectively makes the PvP Modifier to be..
[1 + (Ppow)/400/100][1 - .72 - (Resil)/1125/100]

Brewskie, the PVP Power formula you posted is effectively the same as the one I normally use (Damage increase % = x/400) although it returns results in a different format. However that Resilience formula you posted seems to be off by a small but notable amount when I tested it and I am not sure how you derived it. The formula I use to calculate damage reduction from resilience is Reduction % = ((28900*0.72)+x)/(28900+x) where x is resilience rating, which has been accurate at every test value I have tried.

So if you wanted to calculate the full damage modification in PVP it would be the attacking players normal damage increased by their PVP power multiplier, then that value would be reduced by the target player's damage reduction. So in excel format it would look something like this:

Damage done = (AttackDmg*(1+((PVPPwr/400)/100))*(1-(((28900*0.72)+Resil)/(28900+Resil)/100))

I hope that helps.

Also, not entirely sure why you changed % based to % based for the resil. I got the same modifier by just using a coefficient.

The wording of this question is a bit confusing to me, but I use percentage based numbers IE 150% instead of *1.5 because they are generally easier for people to read and quickly understand. I hope that answers your question, if not please reword it and ill take another stab at it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Oh kk, thanks! I guess I have been overestimating PvP Power. I use a marginal gains chart and because PvP power was included with negating PvP resilience it wasn't getting a reduction in performance from resilience like everything else was, all fixed now thanks :)

What I meant was you seemed to be doing a % change in reduction instead of a % reduction. Thinking more about it though, it seems you have a formula for the entire reduction. Mine is a base reduction (72%) and then accounts for any additional marginal reduction at a rate of 1% per 1125 resilience. I got that number by just dividing my additional % damage reduction (from resil) by the amount of resil I have. Assuming that resilience has linear effects, it should work.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Brewski, your formula may be a reasonable approximation over a narrow range, but it breaks down at higher levels of resil.

At 10k resil, your formula gives 19.1% damage taken. Eldacar's formula gives the correct value of 20.8% damage taken. (There is a trinket that gives 10k resil on-use).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]