5.4 PVP Stat Guide

(Sticky)

90 Night Elf Warrior
are pallys good for pvp?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I appreciate this post. I found the original post on Battlemasters with the graphs. I still don't totally understand it, due to being a newb. I'd appreciate more posts like this and edits for future patches. Thanks.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
01/29/2013 08:59 AMPosted by Thudbutt
I appreciate this post. I found the original post on Battlemasters with the graphs. I still don't totally understand it, due to being a newb. I'd appreciate more posts like this and edits for future patches. Thanks.

If you have specific questions or feel certain sections could be better explained please let me know. I am always looking for feedback and I want this and future guides to be as readable as possible. Regarding an update, one is planned for the upcoming patch once gear stats are finalized.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Mists PVP Power and Resilience Guide

Should be "Mists PvP Resilience and Resilience Guide"

PvP power isn't as viable as Resilience.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is brilliant. I am new to PvP and found this information quite interesting. Thank you Eldacar.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hat
First, I want to say that this is the best guide Ive ever seen about stats. The amount of work you did mathematically and with creating products is amazing.

I don't mean to speak for you, but to answer people about whether to stack resilience or pvp power, or quoting other sites about power vs. resilience, I'll say this:

The OP is not examining the question of whether you should stack pvp power or resilience. He stated up front that that depends on many other things. It appears that all other things being equal (skill, gear, team composition, strategy, most importantly play style) at team stacking resilience will win out against a team stacking PvP power from a strictly damage/ mitigation (effective health) mathematical perspective, which IMO, doesn't always translate perfectly in the arena/ BG.

This late in the season going against tier 2 weapons and so many classes that are so bursty resiliance is pretty much the only option for healers.

IMO if you get targeted often/ first, you have to stack resilience since you will do no damage/ healing if you're dead. If you're are a DPS class that is hard to kill (damn warriors) a mix of whatever is better for you offensively (PvP power at the moment) and resilience will yield good results, but this is a matter of play style.

Sorry that was a lot longer than I had intended.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Rogue
thanks for all the info but.... why give a base 40% resilience to all players. the little guys still get clobbered. all you did is cut their dmg in half so now they stand NO chance of killing people with double thier health cuz now its almost as if those players have 4 times the health, not counting extra resilience witch multiplies it further. i disapprove and am not resubscribing
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Cliffs Notes?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
Thanks for the positive feedback Sarvan and Gwenethe, and I do agree with your logic regarding the choice between PVP Power and Resil Gwenethe.

Apexbreed, the gear gap is a lot smaller now than it has been in previous expansions. But I agree there is still an issue.

Necro, there is a summary in the first page of the post.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
nice guide but no mention of what type of damage being done since all the numbers i get during pvp shows me yes the resilience stops the amount of melee damage it shows but for magic damage is not reduced by any amount
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
02/25/2013 09:23 AMPosted by Zarkova
nice guide but no mention of what type of damage being done since all the numbers i get during pvp shows me yes the resilience stops the amount of melee damage it shows but for magic damage is not reduced by any amount

Resilience applies to all damage in PVP, magic is reduced just like physical.
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Has resilience stats in xp off bg brackets changed in this last patch 5.2? I sure hope they didnt. Some are saying that it was nerfed.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Mage
03/05/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Kayleme
Has resilience stats in xp off bg brackets changed in this last patch 5.2? I sure hope they didnt. Some are saying that it was nerfed.

Takes alot of skill to play a resil-stacked healer in that 70-74 bracket. MAN I SURE HOPE THEY DON'T GIMP YOU GUYS, YOU HAVE IT INCREDIBLY ROUGH AS IT IS.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
Resilience scaling was altered in 5.2, I am working on a new write up now.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't think this formula is exactly correct, but for 16 resilience values ranging from 237 to 9563, it matches in-game reported damage reduction, except that it can be off by one in the fourth digit (66.96% vs. 66.95%)

Damage reduction (%) = 100% * (11724*.4 + Resil) / (11724 + Resil)

That is similar to how Blizz does armor calculations. You can never reach 100% DR. Your TTL is linear in (Resil + 11724).
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
I don't think this formula is exactly correct, but for 16 resilience values ranging from 237 to 9563, it matches in-game reported damage reduction, except that it can be off by one in the fourth digit (66.96% vs. 66.95%)

Damage reduction (%) = 100% * (11724*.4 + Resil) / (11724 + Resil)

That is similar to how Blizz does armor calculations. You can never reach 100% DR. Your TTL is linear in (Resil + 11724).

That is a very accurate formula Erdluf, thank you for posting it! Did you derive it yourself or find it somewhere else? I am going to use it in the guide and want to credit whoever took the time to derive it.

Here is an early draft interactive graph comparing Resilience and Effective Health in 5.2 vs 5.1. A cleaned up version of this will be in the revised guide.

http://battlemasters.org/guides/resilvis52.html

The basic analysis is that Blizzard was dead on with their explanation, effective health returns from resilience in 5.2 are perfectly linear. Anyone with less than 10k Resil should see a slight bump in effective health from the patch, anyone with more should see a slight loss. Going forward Resil will still be a great, lucrative stat, just not the exponentionally valuable super-stat it was before at higher levels.

P.S. The effective health listed in that graph is a percentage relative to displayed health, so 300 would mean effective health is 300% of displayed health.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin
I just finished a full update & revision pass on the guide to reflect the changes made in patch 5.2, let me know if you have any questions, requests, or find any errors!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I derived it. I see a similar derivation on AJ, but it was posted about eight hours later. They used a slightly simpler (but equivalent) form of the equation, and I see various numbers for that constant running from 11723 to 11727.

The simpler form (where c=the 11724 term) is

reduction = .4 + .6*resil / (c+resil)
To show they are equal
    .4 + .6*resil / (c+resil)
    = .4*(c+resil)/(c+resil) + .6*resil/(c+resil)
    = (.4*c + .4*resil + .6*resil)/(c+resil)
    = (.4*c + resil)/(c+resil)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]