Realms thoughts on cross realm

91 Night Elf Death Knight
As a fellow Blackwater Raider I am wondering what are the realms thoughts on this cross realm stuff? How does losing herbs, mining, rares even questing make you feel? Our ah used to be so full it was awesome looking through it at all the stuff even if I didn't need it I still glanced in awe. Now our ah in some areas is like looking at a ghost town where there were many weapons to choose from now there are half that much. Maybe if as players we banded together, Alliance and Horde we rally under a single banner we may in time be able to undo the wrong Blizzard did to us Blackwater Raiders.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I think the AH has more to do with people just not caring pre-expac. I've been having a hard time selling items as well.

More on point, I understand the idea behind them and all, but if I wanted to play on a more populated server I would.

It's a bit annoying to have to share quest mobs and such with people. Since the patch I've had 85's from other servers grind mobs I needed for quests while leveling, and I've had x-server people trigger events that cause my quest giver to go away for a little. I mean sure, of we were more populated I'd already be having these issues so maybe I'm spoiled.

Maybe I like being spoiled.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
09/05/2012 11:03 PMPosted by Sorya
More on point, I understand the idea behind them and all, but if I wanted to play on a more populated server I would.

before CRZs, even high pop servers were empty in questing zones.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Sharing nodes may or may not be an issue. Node spawns are dynamic but we don't know the baseline Blizzard uses to control them . If the programming goes "look, X realm has this many people on in the zone so we're going to respawn at this rate", it's not going to work if there are 5 times that many people in the zone. If it's set up so there is always X nodes and the moment one is harvested another appears, we're fine. Blizzard just isn't going to share that information because it gives the botters more of what they need to plan their exploits.

Mob spawn rates are always bizarre. Sometimes you end up in the middle of an overwhelming number because they're spawning so fast. Sometimes you're sitting there searching for minutes for another one to kill because they aren't. I went through both yesterday with the Argent Tournament dailies. Converted Heroes simply weren't spawning fast enough because of all the other people farming Frostweave there. The jousting area in front of ICC was a mess of respawns jumping me while I was in the middle of attacking a Commander. Thank goodness I have the extra character levels and HP to handle killing hem on foot even if it takes forever to get through the dmg shield since I have no way to remove it unmounted.

AH was empty of crafting mats even before the patch and it hasn't been full for ages. I used to sit through 20 min scan of 50,000 items. Now it takes less than 5 minutes to scan through 10,000 and that's been true for several months. Normal pre-release blues.

We're hardly the only ones feeling the effects. Plenty of other realms out there are just as frustrated.

Blizzard is overlooking something. Players complain about dead servers because of the lack of players for doing group content with or forming guilds. The zones outside the cities haven't provided group content since mid Wrath when they took away most of the old group quests. Guilds can't effectively recruit by running around from zone to zone spamming general and whispering people, and it does no good if those people listening aren't from the same realm since they can't join.

Some players love being in huge crowds, some don't. This is removing choices from players.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
09/06/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Joynal
This is removing choices from players.

"removing" implies that there was a choice in the first place. You had one option before: Empty zones. There was no alternative. You have one option now: Populated zones. There is no alternative.

To reiterate, EVERY server had empty zones.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
A realm is more than a single zone.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
09/06/2012 01:15 PMPosted by Joynal
A realm is more than a single zone.

implying that zones other than orgrimmar or stormwind had more than 1-3 MAYBE 4 people on them EVER.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
They did before Dungeon Finder. I used to find players all over the place.

Now...

Sure, empty zones out there but player still have the choice of who they're congregating with in SW and Orgrimmar by picking the realm they play on. That gives them 250+ options. It removes options when you're also trying to factor in things like the outer zones.

If you're a farmer, zones always feel populated because of competition over nodes.

I said it in a few threads in the General forum. If Blizzard really wants to make zones feel less empty, remove cross realm AND dungeon finder for characters below level cap. As it stands right now, players are just going to end up right back in the cities to avoid the groups that are organized to go griefing other realms.

I'm sure you can understand how that's turning into a problem.
Edited by Joynal on 9/6/2012 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
for me it's less of a problem and more of a final solution to the dirty roleplayer population HA I KID
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
<3

If it only it would fix that problem.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
what i meant, though, was that we have gone from 1 option to 1 option. before, we had empty zones. there were no servers where zones had a significant number of people in them. so, there was only 1 option. now, all servers will soon have occupied zones. there will be no alternative option.

there is no difference between one option and one option.

but blizzard really can't force people to be out in the world. if they removed LFD, people would just get mad. if they made levelling take longer, people would just get mad. they would quit. those who remained would be awesome and i wish they would do this, but blizzard's stockholders have too much self-interest to let blizzard shed the scum in favor of a better game and a better community.
Reply Quote
66 Blood Elf Death Knight
09/06/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Joynal
Some players love being in huge crowds, some don't.

My impression of why Blizzard did this was kind of based on the empty restaurant mentality - if you pass by two restaurants you might want to eat at, and the menus look comparable, but one is empty and the other is filled with people, which do you choose?

Despite the fact that in the empty one, the wait for food would probably be shorter, and you'd have a quieter meal and the server wouldn't be totally overrun and forget to bring you your drinks, most people choose the crowded one. Why? Because they assume that since so many people are there, the place is putting out a worthwhile product.

I don't think that Blizzard is doing this for the players. It would make more sense if they put difficult group content in the cross-realm zones, or some of these new-fangled scenarios I keep hearing about. On the other hand, now that you have battle-tags and can group cross-server, it may be a way to make more contacts for raiding and PvP.

As far as how it impacts this server's community, it really can't be any worse than anything they've done previously. Especially if we start holding regular improv shows in the cross-realm areas. Or starting that roving tree-form forest we were planning before they took away permanent tree-form. We can look at it as free advertising, really.
Reply Quote
I guess I am one who likes my quiet time so to answer the restaurant question I would pick the empty one. True here I am on a medium pop realm but there were lots of times I was off doing my thing I would come across a fellow Raider either Horde or Alliance and may not say a word but deep inside I felt proud this is my realm, my home. I came from a dead realm Farstriders so coming into this was somewhat a shock at first but it grew on me by my second week fully here. I got into my guild met a lot of cool Raiders and had fun. I'm thinking Blizzard wants to make it a real World of Warcraft, and if they continue the path of darkness they might just see realms actually starting to dislike each other.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
in all... It needs to go.

I dont like dealing with morons who yank mobs down onto my head.
I dont want to compete for nodes etc.
I dont like my computer lagging out
I dont like it at all.

I seriously could go Dr. Seuss on this subject.

If they could 'offer' the option that would be better. If a button popped up with:

"you are about to enter a cross-realm zone, would you like to join" Yes or No.

I'd obviously vote no. But I'd like to be given the option about it.
Edited by Niabella on 9/7/2012 12:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
thank you seems as a realm we of Blackwater Raiders are growing tired
Reply Quote
96 Tauren Shaman

If they could 'offer' the option that would be better. If a button popped up with:

"you are about to enter a cross-realm zone, would you like to join" Yes or No.

I'd obviously vote no. But I'd like to be given the option about it.

This would annoy me. So many zones are cross-realm, that having a button pop up every time I was flying through a zone would just really, really annoy me.

I've had a little lag because of it, but other than that, I haven't had any of the problems that anyone else seems to be experiencing, so I guess I can't make a definitive statement yet on whether I like it or not, but other than the occasional lag spike, I have no complaints yet. It doesn't particularly seem to be helping me in any way, though, so I wouldn't be sad to see it go.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
09/07/2012 12:48 AMPosted by Niabella

i do not know what this is in reference to

on GW2, if you see a node, it's yours, even if someone else mines it. maybe they should do that. that is to say, you see a node, someone else goes to mine it, but it's ok, it will still be there when you get to it.

i have not experienced this.

maybe its just me but i would appreciate that.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest

i do not know what this is in reference to

on GW2, if you see a node, it's yours, even if someone else mines it. maybe they should do that. that is to say, you see a node, someone else goes to mine it, but it's ok, it will still be there when you get to it.

i have not experienced this.

maybe its just me but i would appreciate that.

I am constantly having lag issues, which has -never- happened before since I've been playing this game. I just got a brand new computer to replace my old one that died a fiery death a few months ago. Best that I can get, everything was just perfect Never any lag in any zones. With the introduction of CRZ I have nothing but issues which interupts my questing experience.

I could care less about nodes/herbs etc that was just an frustrated addition.

Almost on a daily basis I deal with harassment from players on other realms. I never had that issue with people from this realm, In fact on both sides I find we are courteous to one another in questing objectives. But I have 85's running in to be a jerk, killing all my mobs and then laughing and running away.

I've had other players follow me (and others I know) around spewing harassment and name calling, and camping mobs we are questing after. I've had other players pull numerous mobs down onto my head and then laugh as I died. I've been harassed constantly when I've gotten to a quest objective before another player even before i realized they were around.

Not to mention that when Im questing with my wife on a two person mount we get dismounted and one of us falls to a painful death. It's too glitchy and they haven't even improved even just a little bit.

Goldshire is a nightmare, questing in Elwynn is almost as impossible as anywhere else.

I also wait 2-3 weeks when an xpac comes out to even quest in a new zone I cannot imagine the nightmare that it's going to be when Mists actually come out I'm going to need to wait at least 2 months before I can even quest in the new zones.

I avoid alot of other players because I like questing alone, or with my loved ones enjoying what i pay for. I dont think we as a Medium pop server should even need to worry about Cross Realm Zones. I can see it being Beneficial for low pop servers. But we dont need it.

If I wanted to be harassed while questing I'd go play in the RDF all day long.

I hope they improve or remove this feature. It's not making me an overly happy person.
Edited by Niabella on 9/7/2012 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Question on the mechanics of this feature real quick.

Can you transfer a raid from server to server simply by changing who the raid leader is?
If that is the case, well then you have given Wpvp greifers another toy to abuse in place of Have Group Will Travel.

If you get engaged with a large host in WPvP, just transfer raid lead to someone from another server, run behind where the host was, and transfer lead back for a teleport of sorts. This was a popular tactic with HGWT when I was on Emerald Drama. We would send a stealthy behind enemy lines and have them summon.

If that mechanic works, well now you don't even have a cast time. So we traded HGWT for something completely broken.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]