Night Elf Age

86 Night Elf Rogue
Im sorry if Im in the wrong Community for this but I could use some help with getting my age down for my night elf rogue.

I was looking for around the age like 24-27?

Thanks (:
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Try for the upper 80's to 90's.
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
It's open to debate, but most people accept Night Elves being considered mature at 100 years old (though some sources do say 300.)

I would suggest the 'young adult' age would be anywhere from high 100s to 300.

Source:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Age
Edited by Istella on 9/8/2012 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Rogue
Alright, thanks guys! (: I think 227 will be the number!
Reply Quote
15 Draenei Shaman
I find it ironic that most people who say that the lore from the WoW RPG is not canon still cling to the age suggestions from that game (which is based on Dungeons and Dragons) as canon dispite the rediculousness of it all.

First of all, a species that takes centuries to mature is going to die out when trying to compete with shorter lived species... mostly because the shorter lived speicies will be able to get more members out into the world faster, thus taking a greater share of the resources needed by both species.

This is especially true for humanoid species who in addition to everything else, tends to be very territorial and combattive against those it deems as invaders. Since all the species on Azeroth seem to be roughly of the same technological and magical development level (with only a few excpetions), none of the races have a distinct advantage that gives them an edge to allow for a slower maturation cycle. If one had a far superior level of technology or magic, then it may be plausible that it could compensate for the lower numbers of mature adults as it lets a single member equal the output of many shorter lived, more primative species.

In war... which Azeroth is particularly well known for, the winner will generally be the side that can get more members out on to the field as soon as possible. With longer maturation cycles, so called "longer lived" species would be at a distinct disadvantage as they would take too long to replenish their fallen. Even if they won, it would take centuries to replenish their armies while it would only take a few short decades for shorter lived spiecies to replenish theirs and start a new war.

Nature has proven time and again that the faster a species matures, the more sucessful it is likely to be. Many animals can walk within hours to weeks of birth and are mature within a few years. Survival dictates that those who mature fast have a greater chance of survival, thus evolution would tend to favor the genes that allow for a rapid maturation of a species.

Longer lifespans does not mean longer maturation cycles. While this may seem like a logical asumption it is a false asumption. All it really means is that the species in question has the genes to live a long life... not that it takes a long time to mature. This assumtion is based on the idea that if a species lives 2 or 3 times longer than humanity on average, then it takes them 2 or 3 times longer to mature. While logical, it is unsupported by natural selection which give the advantage to a species that matures faster. Many animal species that can live a long time (like some tortises that can live for upto 200 years) still reach maturity within a decade or two.

A longer lifespan does provide one huge advantage... more chances to spread one's genetic code to a new generation. Humanity has a realatively short period of time in which their females can reproduce... roughtly 30 years (from about 15 to 45 on average). A longer lived spiecies would likely have a much longer period of fertility... especially those who retain a relatively youthful appearance for much of their adult life. Assuming that humanoid species will mature at roughly the same rate (give or take a few years), then a species that could live for 300 years would have well over a century to produce children. Even if their reproductive cycle is longer than those of humanity (becoming able to concieve at a slower rate or taking longer to bring to term an infant), it is still a signifcant advantage to have a longer period in which to produce offspring.

Finally... having to support a child for decades (if not centuries) before they are allowed to contribute to society is a rediclous notion. Historically, in fudal societies like those on Azeroth, children were expected to pull their weight as soon as they were physically able to. The idea of giving children a "childhood" is a modern notion that has little place in the realities of fudal life. As soon as you were capable, you were put to work in whatever field you were likely to have for the rest of your life. Few families could afford to wait more than a decade before they needed their children to help out... let alone centuries for them to mature enough to be productive.

In closing... the notion that a longer lived species takes decades or centuries to mature is a rediclous idea. It is based on false notions and make no logical or biological sense (not to mention comes from a non-canon source).
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Whoa... that's a very well thought out and interesting wall of text you whipped up, but you pretty aggressively jumped to conclusions.

I said mature, not physically mature. Think about it this way- by evolution's point of view, I was 'mature' at 13, as in I could reproduce and contribute to the continuation of my species. Does that mean I could move out on my own? Vote? Drive even? No, because in our society's view I was not an adult yet.

I personally hold to the common theory that night elves mature (physically) at a fairly close rate to that of humans until they peak physically and then start to slow down, but that their society does not accept them as mature adults until 100 years of age. Which makes sense given how long lived they are; a night elf that is 18 years old wouldn't have near the experience or mental maturity that one who is thousands of years old would. How on earth could the older elf consider them to be or treat them as an equal if they have only lived a tiny fraction of the same number of years?

And I cited Wowpedia because it is the only source we available and there is nothing in lore, game, or even common sense that contradicts it.

09/10/2012 06:50 AMPosted by Umbria
Nature has proven time and again that the faster a species matures, the more sucessful it is likely to be. Many animals can walk within hours to weeks of birth and are mature within a few years. Survival dictates that those who mature fast have a greater chance of survival, thus evolution would tend to favor the genes that allow for a rapid maturation of a species.
- As an aside, this paragraph made me chuckle a bit. xD
Arguing that nature always favors species who mature quickly when humans, the dominant species on the planet, take years longer to develop both physically and mentally than just about anything else. While your argument still makes a good point, this just goes to show that rapid maturity isn't the only thing that dictates the success of a species- especially not in species with high intelligence, reasoning, and social skills.
Edited by Istella on 9/10/2012 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
15 Draenei Shaman
Our society's views have changed over the centuries. When we were living under the fudal structre Azeroth does... yes, by 13 years you were expected to be living on your own, married and being a productive member of society. Even as late as the 19th century, children as young as 6 were expected to be a part of the workforce. Only the rich could afford to send children to schools... the vast majority of people were not rich though.

Even if it takes elves and other long lived species centuries to mature mentally... that still puts them at a serious disadvantage when competing with other intelligent races. If another race matures physically and mantally at a faster rate, they will be able to out compete a race that matures more slowly. You are basically implying that many long lived species may be mentally handicapped because it takes their minds longer to reach maturity than their physical bodies... which again is not conductive to the survival of a species.

Physical and mental maturity must go hand in hand... if one physically matures faster then they do mentally... then they will be at a serious disadvantage when trying to compete for resources. Like I said before... such a race would be equivilent o a mentally handicapped person... the body of an adult with the mind of a child... even if the mind eventually catches up, the initial disadvantage puts them behind the survival curve.

And yes, I do realize that compared to many animals, humans take far longer to mature. However we do have one evolutionary advantage that gave us an edge to dominate this world... intelligence. Our intelligence allowed us to develope tools and technology to survive and out think most animals. It was our technological advantage that allowed us to compete for resources against more agressive and powerful predators that matured faster than us. With our technology we could provide the resources we needed to survive and thrive despite the competion of faster maturing animals.

Unfortunately that advantage doesn't apply on Azeroth because there are over a dozen races as intelligent and with the same level of technology as humanity... including magical innovation. Thus it is a more even playing field for the various races on Azeroth. On an even field, those that mature faster will have an advantage baring any other factor.

Besides... the idea that longer lived species take longer to mature is an out-dated model in most modern fantasy (as in written in the last decade... not necissarily taking place in the modern age). Even Dungeons and Dragons has done away with the rediculous age brackets for most races in their latest eddition... after realizing that a faster maturing species will overwhelm a slower maturing species with a similar technological/magical level.

Gone are the days when elves took centuries to become adults in most fantasy settings. They may still take a longer view of things, but that is because they have the lifespan to do so... not because it takes them so long to mature.
Edited by Umbria on 9/10/2012 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
True enough as it is i agree that physical and mental growing should go hand in hand. on another note it is better to be able to live longer for the reasons being that you learn more in your lifetime than a human would.
Reply Quote
15 Draenei Shaman
09/10/2012 07:30 AMPosted by Istella
I personally hold to the common theory that night elves mature (physically) at a fairly close rate to that of humans until they peak physically and then start to slow down, but that their society does not accept them as mature adults until 100 years of age. Which makes sense given how long lived they are; a night elf that is 18 years old wouldn't have near the experience or mental maturity that one who is thousands of years old would. How on earth could the older elf consider them to be or treat them as an equal if they have only lived a tiny fraction of the same number of years?

Why do people who are 2 to 3 times the age of a mature human (40 to 60) feel that a 20 year old has enough experience to be considered an adult? Obviously a 20 year old doesn't have as much experience as a 40 or 60 year old... so why are they considered a productive member of society? Because they have enough experience to make rational choices... to know the difference between acceptable and unacceptable actions... and because they have learned enough in their chosen profession to apply that knowledge in their lives.

So why would it be any different for a member of a race that lives to 1000 or more? If 20 years is enough time to learn the minimum skills needed to be a productive member of society, then why not treat them as such? Why make them wait another 80 years before treating them as realative equals?

Note that I said "relative". Yes, someone with centuries more experience is likely going to know more than someone with only a couple of decades worth... but that also depends on the quality of that experience. If all once did with that century was read books but never applied that knowledge outside of a class room... is his experience worth more than someone who only spent a few decades gathering real life experiences in the field where changing variables required innovation and creativity to survive?

Let's put it another way... if you were a member of a long lived race and was now physically and mentally mature... woulnd't you chafe under the society that said you had to wait another 80 years before your contributions were recognized? Would you really want to have to provide for a child who can take care of himself but is not allowed to for the next 80 years?

Yes... longer lived species will generally value age and wisdom and will generally take a longer view of things because of their lifespans, but that doesn't mean that they will not accept someone's contributions just because they aren't as old as themselves. If a Night Elf is willing to accept a 20 year old human as a responsible adult (whether they are or not is irrelivent), chances are they would accept a 20 year old Night Elf as an adult too. That doesn't mean the 20 year old Night Elf will be put into a position of power (such as become the new leader of the Elune Priesthood or the leader of the Cenarion Circle), but he will be treated with the same level of respect as any Night Elf adult.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]