Character data shown is for another character

90 Night Elf Druid
Bear with me while I try describe this anomaly. When using the Mobile Armory app the other day I received a message that my account was either locked or disabled when my main character (Moong on Anvilmar) was selected. After switching to another of my characters, I was able to access the auction house and other features with no problem. It was at this time I noticed that Moong was no longer in my list of characters associated with my account.

I did a search against the armory (both web and app) and found an entry for my character (level 85, night elf, druid) as reported by the list but on opening the entry the data shown was for another character. This other character is a level 14 (when last seen) night elf, hunter with the same name, Moong, also on Anvilmar.

If the level 14 character is played by whoever owns it, I notice my characters information drops off the Armory app and the other characters data is displayed when I search for the character name. I am also not able to access my auction data as well. If I play my character, level 85 Moong, that data gets displayed not to long after. After playing I am also able to access my auction data.

Without knowing the inner-workings, to me it would appear there are 2 characters with the same name on the same realm. Support says they only see my account and suggested I post my question here. I am still able to play my character, just unsure where the other characters data is coming from, if not on Anvilmar.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
It's very likely a character that was deleted. If you or anyone else created a character with the same name and deleted it (or the character was transferred) there's a slim possibility that it could cause data issues down the line. If this isn't the case, I'll let you know.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thank you for looking into this. I noted that some of that characters achievements were recently (in the last month) updated. I had stopped playing for a while, any chance a new character was created with the same name while I was not playing?
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
09/11/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Moong
Thank you for looking into this. I noted that some of that characters achievements were recently (in the last month) updated. I had stopped playing for a while, any chance a new character was created with the same name while I was not playing?

If a character name already exists, even if the character hasn't been logged into for a year or more, that name cannot be used. You would have needed to either change the name, transfer off, or delete the character for it to become available. Also, after transferring a character the name is locked for a period of time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]