Account-Wide Professions

89 Night Elf Warrior
If they allowed professions to be account-bound instead of character-bound with the sole limitation being that any given character could only have two (2) professions selected as "active" at a time, would this be a good change?

I personally think it would be yet another removal of hindrances to re-rolling -- for me, not so much of an issue as I am Ench + Alch on 5 characters, but for people I've spoken to they abhor the thought of re-rolling as they'd have to level enchanting yet again. To compensate for the lack of demand for materials, were this implemented, they could create vanity-type things which require a myriad of materials from older content (i.e. Transmogrification-only Enchants or Transmogrification BS Plans).

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Hunter
My only thought is on the secondary professions. I think all of them should infact be account wide. I see no reason to level archeology, cooking, first-aid, and fishing on 11 toons in MoP. Doing it for most of my toons in Cata drove me nuts but lets be honest. I next to never use the bandages from first-aid anyway.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Warrior
I absolutely agree -- and for people who dislike some professions and have numerous toons, that situation is applicable to primary professions as well.

I dislike anything that requires mining to sustain (Eng, BS, JC, etc.), so it'd be nice to be able to not have to re-level professions on other toons simply for the bonus (i.e. Alchemy, Inscript, etc.) -- likewise, it'd be nice to simply be able to swap professions as you needed with the bonuses only being allowed from two at a time. The amount of effort required for current content materials doesn't change in any case. I see no issue.

And with Ghostcrawlers new fad with everything account-wide, it fits very well.

EDIT: As well, accountwide professions might serve the dual-purpose as a preventative goldsink considering people wouldn't be able to level numerous of the same profession (meaning no stacking cooldowns). No multiple transmutes. No dozens of Dreamcloth.
Edited by Fyarsing on 9/9/2012 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Dwarf Warrior
Why do I feel like this would completely destroy the economy on every single server? Like, nuclear-bomb level of destruction?

Things like Light/Medium/Heavy Leather, Copper, Bronze, Tin etc. would just completely disappear and what is there would be completely obscene for their prices.

That, and since certain Professions can give stat bonuses, I don't think we'd want to be giving Level 10 and 20 characters the stat bonuses from maxed Blacksmithing, Skinning, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
09/09/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Baliun
That, and since certain Professions can give stat bonuses, I don't think we'd want to be giving Level 10 and 20 characters the stat bonuses from maxed Blacksmithing, Skinning, etc.

Well, you can certainly limit the skill level for a given profession to what's level-appropriate. Perhaps you'd still need to go to the trainer once for every major level change (Apprentice, Artisan, Master, etc.). You can't enchant your low-level gear with high-level enchants, or if you do (BoA gear, for example), the effects of the enchant are disabled until you are a high enough level.

Things like Light/Medium/Heavy Leather, Copper, Bronze, Tin etc. would just completely disappear and what is there would be completely obscene for their prices.

Yes. That's certainly what would happen. The economy for everything except the latest tier of mats would collapse. I'm not sure that would be all bad, however. With CRZ the whole farming issue, not to mention bots, would disappear from all the lower level zones.

That is, if the economy for all the crappy low-level mats disappeared tomorrow, would you really miss it? I don't think I would, but I could be wrong.

(That said, I have already farmed a complete 1-525 power-leveling kit for both alchemy and leatherworking for my new panda monk. If they gave account-wide professions I would be very... hmmm... annoyed. Of course they won't do it before I've used those kits to level my panda, but still.)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Secondary professions i'm all for.

Already leveled up fishing once, never will again.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Hunter
Honestly if they want to make a really good gold sink like 1k to switch professions. This might not be too bad.

Keep it open to only lev 70+ toons and most of the issues can be avoided. The rest is avoided simply by lev requirement on the crafted gear in the professions.

My point is. They should be able to design a UI that stores everything gained in a proffesion on a account wide scale. So any toon can pick it up if needed or drop. I had to make a toon a Alchemist for Archeology. I didn't want to and I lost everything I had in BS.

Now if this system was in place I got my mount and I also have another Achemist at max level that isn't a Archeologist. So I could pay the 1k. Go back to BS and know my other Alchemist also learned how to make Vial of the Sands because it is account wide.

Nothing lost but loads gained!
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Warrior
Why do I feel like this would completely destroy the economy on every single server? Like, nuclear-bomb level of destruction?

It wouldn't affect the economy as adversely as people who are already wealthy using that wealth to maximize profits by pigeon-holing large swaths of the materials market -- as for the second issue, that pretty much the case now as it is anyways. As transmog gear becomes more varied that in and of itself is an interesting means to maintain older profession materials value.

There is already level requirements for profession bonuses -- no reason to assume that would change.

09/09/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Odinmär
Well, you can certainly limit the skill level for a given profession to what's level-appropriate. Perhaps you'd still need to go to the trainer once for every major level change (Apprentice, Artisan, Master, etc.). You can't enchant your low-level gear with high-level enchants, or if you do (BoA gear, for example), the effects of the enchant are disabled until you are a high enough level.

This. It already works like this anyways, by the way. :)

Yes. That's certainly what would happen. The economy for everything except the latest tier of mats would collapse. I'm not sure that would be all bad, however. With CRZ the whole farming issue, not to mention bots, would disappear from all the lower level zones.

That is, if the economy for all the crappy low-level mats disappeared tomorrow, would you really miss it? I don't think I would, but I could be wrong.

If the system remains as it were, perhaps -- but with their current trend towards more vanity and openness, there isn't any reason why new transmog gear / transmog enchants couldn't be added to artificially keep the prices in flux on lower level materials.

Honestly if they want to make a really good gold sink like 1k to switch professions. This might not be too bad.

Keep it open to only lev 70+ toons and most of the issues can be avoided. The rest is avoided simply by lev requirement on the crafted gear in the professions.

That's something I hadn't considered. It adds an additional layer of goldsink.

My point is. They should be able to design a UI that stores everything gained in a proffesion on a account wide scale. So any toon can pick it up if needed or drop. I had to make a toon a Alchemist for Archeology. I didn't want to and I lost everything I had in BS.

Now if this system was in place I got my mount and I also have another Achemist at max level that isn't a Archeologist. So I could pay the 1k. Go back to BS and know my other Alchemist also learned how to make Vial of the Sands because it is account wide.

Nothing lost but loads gained!

Agreed.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
This is a terrible idea. It would destroy the economy completely. This just sounds like another I want everything handed to me thread. I mean really? Making it account wide seems stupid. I mean if you already have the profession on another toon then all you have to do is switch to that toon to make what you want. it's really not that hard.

I mean second of all this is a slippery slope. If blizzard makes professions account wide customers will complain that class specs should be account wide or that we should be able to class change as a paid service on battle.net. I mean where does it end once you start down this road? Stop being lazy and do the work like the rest of us have done.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Make the Recipes account-wide... Not the Professions itself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
If they allowed professions to be account-bound instead of character-bound with the sole limitation being that any given character could only have two (2) professions selected as "active" at a time, would this be a good change?

I personally think it would be yet another removal of hindrances to re-rolling -- for me, not so much of an issue as I am Ench + Alch on 5 characters, but for people I've spoken to they abhor the thought of re-rolling as they'd have to level enchanting yet again. To compensate for the lack of demand for materials, were this implemented, they could create vanity-type things which require a myriad of materials from older content (i.e. Transmogrification-only Enchants or Transmogrification BS Plans).

Thoughts?

No, it wouldn't because long story short, it will wreck the economy thus making people have to find yet another alternative to make gold. Think about how Scribe is, once that character learns that glyph, that's it... he/she will never need to buy that glyph again.
Edited by Rhivell on 9/13/2012 10:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Secondary professions i'm all for.

Already leveled up fishing once, never will again.

I also agree for secondary professions. Leave the primary ones alone.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, PLEASE make secondary skills account-wide, I can't level cooking in another toon and my char won't look complete if I don't

I don't even want to finish it in this one because it seems waste of time this way...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Yeah, PLEASE make secondary skills account-wide, I can't level cooking in another toon and my char won't look complete if I don't

I don't even want to finish it in this one because it seems waste of time this way...

If you wait a month or two, you can powerlevel cooking up to 400 or so with the harvest festival recipes. Maybe 5 gold and an hour, two if you have competition farming the turkeys.

The rest can also be powerleveled, it's just a bit more expensive.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
It's sounding like plain laziness to me. I hated it when they made gathering gain xp with the cata release. It wound out leveling a character when all I wanted to do was get materials for potions & elixirs. I don't think they should be simplifying things as they are. If anything they should be making it more of a challenge in general, not just in certain parts. They're going the wrong direction with this dumbing down of the game.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I think a fair compromise would be to retain recipes when you switch professions. You should still need to relevel if you switch back, but you shouldn't need to relearn all the stuff you knew when you switched the first time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
They already said "no."

Though phrased slightly differently, or working slightly differently, this comes under passing around professions. They already said "No" to that.

That fact that yours is saying its a pool of professions, with a character picking 2 at any one time, doesn't change the fact that its really an old Dead Issue that they already responded to, in disguise.

Its still asking for the exact same thing, that you be able to have max engineering on this character and then move it over to another character. Phrasing it differently, or presenting it as a different idea, doesn't change that; It ends up meaning the same thing.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Account Wide Secondary Professions make sense, just phase the skill lvl to the actual character lvl...skilling a profession to 525 should allow that character to have learnt that profession permanently, not account wide though. So if you choose to level another profession, fair enough. But that will not be fair for a few reasons... mainly you would be able to monopolise the economy, then switch out for other advantages such as rolling for recipes..then again then again.

But honestly..fishing for 23 characters, i have 7 i think that are max fishing..the rest are low just due to me being burnt out from sitting there fishing. Most other secondary professions are not so bad..but in all retrospect, pointless to have to lvl secondary for that amount of characters. Just to state..a little advice for people leveling new alts etc. focus on one main..two at max, having the amount i do is a complete and utterly ridiculous thing to do. I get overwhelmed soon as i login..recruit a friend + 6-7 years of playing = 23 characters = overwhelmed.

Main reasons why this will not change though, is due to it being a timesink aswell as a goldsink . Why eliminate something that drives people to spend gold and spend time?
Edited by Nurofen on 9/20/2012 11:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Agreed for secondary professions since all chars can learn them permanently.

Doing something all over again in this game just seems like a waste of time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]