Warlocks are demon hunters?

90 Night Elf Warrior
09/18/2012 08:20 AMPosted by Madisel
What do you mean "demon related" class. It's not as if demon hunters have demons for pets, they kill them. They do anything they can to kill them pretty much.

And turn into demons, use demonic magic... they overlap quite a lot, and lack the benefit of often shared organizations that priests and paladins have.

To me turning into a demon is not why I like demon hunters or want to be one. It's hardly the focus of the majority of demon hunter fans I've communicated with. I could not care less if they scrapped the entire ability.

But I fail to see why you would go so far as to say a thing like this, you seriously would not want a class in this game because it might take away some lore spot light from the your favored class? That's like a serious issue with sharing there it seems to me.

But as I said, if anything I'd think demon hunters would bring a fount of new warlock story interaction, if that's really a big enough issue for you to state in a community discussion.

It just seems like an arbitrary objection to me, but to each their own eh?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
[quote]
and lack the benefit of often shared organizations that priests and paladins have.

I find the new warlock council lore quite interesting. The Demon Hunters now have a name for their warrior cult as well, which is the Dark Embrace.

This warlock council that's alluded to needs a name as well. Does it have a name? Am I mistaken>?
Edited by Elrith on 9/18/2012 10:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Warlock integration idea:

4 Specs:

Affliction: DoTs
Destruction: Caster
Demonology: Demon Hunter DPS
Shadowborn: Demon Hunter Evasion Tank
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/18/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Elrith
This warlock council that's alluded to needs a name as well. Does it have a name? Am I mistaken>?

Council of Six Daggers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
09/18/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Velarin

Council of Six Daggers.
Ah cool, thanks! Are there 6 members?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
the book is in the Warlock area under the inn in SW, you can read all about it
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
To the Slaughtered Lamb I go!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
09/17/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Terin
Demon Hunters don't even necessarily have to have that ability; it could just be an Illidan-only think
nah demon hunters eventually turn into looking like illidan the moar powerful they get. illidan stayed the same way for a very long time (10,000 years) because he was locked up and didnt do anything. then he got the fel energy boast with gul'dans skull (a warlock btw, previously a shaman apprentice) Demon hunters and warlocks both use fel energies they just use it for a different purpose. demon hunters are moar like magically enchanced melee, and warlocks are ranged casters that bind the will of demons to theirs so that the demons do their bidding. they both can and should have meta form.

09/17/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Terin
Sorry, but I have to chime in here; Warlocks have gotten *WAY* more love than most Classes over the years.
lol weakest dps class in wotlk for 2.5 content releases (the alittle after toc came out locks got buffed then moar so during icc) and locks have mostly always been the least played class and its been on decline since bc. I would definitely agree that locks got moar love for the cata release. :)
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Elrith
But I fail to see why you would go so far as to say a thing like this, you seriously would not want a class in this game because it might take away some lore spot light from the your favored class? That's like a serious issue with sharing there it seems to me.

Couldn't you just let rogues use warglaives? If the demonic magic isn't what makes a demon hunter, why make an entirely new class? Or, have pseudotank warglaiveuser be a fourth rogue spec?
Edited by Madisel on 9/18/2012 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
09/18/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Athanasius
Shadowborn: Demon Hunter Evasion Tank

i think demon hunter should be introduced as a prestige class sorta.... like someone is leveling a mage (illidan was a sorcerer) or rogue (or maybe even a warlock O.o) and has to do a certain questline anytime after level 55 to become a demon hunter permanently. Also it would be in great interest to blizzard to release the demon hunter class after the mop expansion. And integrate it with an Illidan redemption storyline and the beginings of the Illidari faction. Metzen has already said since 2010 that blizz is working on the illidan redemption storyline. Heres somethings why it would integrate smoothly (the demonhunter class and faction) There are nightelf and blood elf demon (there are suppositly human demon hunters but they are rare)hunters that are not loyal to illidan, and there are demon hunters that are loyal to him BOOM. lorewise.

09/18/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Madisel
If the demonic magic isn't what makes a demon hunter, why make an entirely new class?
fel energy is what makes a demonhunter, they use demon powers to combat demons. as fel energies slowly corrupt their bodies as the moar power they gain the moar demonic in body they become.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
09/18/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Velarin
Council of Six Daggers.

Changed to something less roguish, it's the council of black harvest now.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Warglaives would shut me up in many ways and let me at least pretend in peace. But when I think demon hunter, I see it embodied in this animated model here.

http://youtu.be/rlqxaPeHOTI

I probably won't even get most of what I want with demon hunters even if Blizzard puts them in. If this was my ideal world, they'd get some very custom animations for running, they would do that fleet footed plodding ninja run that they do in Warcraft 3, something they put directly into WOW with the Ethereal melee users who charge you in Outland.

I'd also hope for some custom postures and idle animations like you see in the model above, but I don't expect that to ever happen. But you never know what Blizzard will add for flavor these days.

I would want to zig and zag in that ninja gait in and out of combat, and be able to flip or hop around similar to Vega from street fighter 2, a glorious kind of bull fighter with flamboyance. Akin to the wood elf Wardancers of Warhammer, who actually play drums in battle as they dance around with multiple blades cutting down enemies.

I'd want glowing tattoos or charged fel energy, streams of cinders or ash streaming from my eyes behind my eye binding.

If the new night elf model updates don't have claws, I'd definitely want the claws a demon hunter has. I'd like to see a number of tattoos and varied level of fel mutations in the character select screen like spines from the skin in places, spikes, claws, burning wounds etc.

Mana burn like streams and immolation like auras would be nice, though they are the closest abilities mirroring warlocks.

Illidan put a very rogue like flavor on demon hunters in his Well of the Eternity appearance, more than I used to think was inherent in the class, and I've come to enjoy cloak of shadows for evoking that kind of demon hunter.

Perhaps something like the rune system for DKs could make your weapons look like a variety of warglaives? I know this would lead to a lot of weapon assets not being fully used for an entire class, but I'm just thinking out loud.
Edited by Elrith on 9/18/2012 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/18/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Elrith
Warglaives would shut me up in many ways and let me at least pretend in peace.

I hear you on this one. I've had to RP a good reason WHY Thar hasn't had the signature warglaives since the beginning. It actually wasn't until they allowed dual 'mogging of the Fist of the Deity that I at least have weapons I can more easily consider "warglaives."

Illidan's are just too damned big. In addition, Tharion would never use them in-character. He despises the Betrayer.

That said, it's not just the warglaives that aren't represented, but almost ALL the iconic weaponry of the notable WC3 classes. Tauren don't have obtainable war totems, either, but a few NPCs do. Moonglaives are also out as equippable weaponry, despite all Sentinels wielding them.

And pre-Wrath, runeblades were exceedingly rare. You had Baron Rivendare's and the Ebon Hilt of Marduk as the only in-game representations. And, even DURING Wrath, they retooled the entire concept behind the runeblade to the more generic "rune weapon."

If demon hunters are ever added, I guarantee you they'll give them the ability to "fel charge" any ol' weapon we have. But we'll probably start with low level glaives in the starting zone.

As to the armor concern (DH's should be shirtless with kilts), that will have to go by the wayside. All iconic NPC demon hunters, and all demon hunter specific tier sets, would be modeled after this, but it won't be a requirement. Death Knights are again the example here. All their tier sets are modeled after the vicious undead plate they should be wearing, but they're allowed to use any armor set they wish.

Long ago, on an ancient version of my guild's website, I actually had a write-up of how I imagined a demon hunter hero class to be. New resource mechanic, new mechanics (sorta), and even a way to answer the whole "they're all blindfolded" thing (texture it into all the facial choices, much like the NE male demon hunter face).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Yes, there is a strange lack of some very iconic Warcraft 3 gear for players, I used to think it was all for possible hero classes. But at least they allow some things, it makes me think they just don't ever get around to paying attention to this sort of thing.

We got sentinel glaives that could be used as throwing weapons, and we got blade master swords as a pole arm and then the fist of the deity (which is awesome as a glaive substitute you're right especially if you put mongoose on them I've been waiting for several years to somehow dual wield those)

I would die for a sashimono for my orc warrior, I wonder why they don't have anything in that regard. In the Theramore event we got to use Alliance banners on our backs like sashimonos, and the blade master warrior trainer in Orgrimmar has his sashimono displayed proudly. I would love to have one that just clips through walls and doorways.

Also, with Thrall's new model, there is something akin to the Blademaster's monk like mantle of giant bead like orbs he wears around his neck. I wonder if that would work on the other models, I'd love to see it on my orc warrior too.

For Demon hunter armor sets, I'd imagine some pretty cool sets, with war kilts and wide chest high belts with abdomen armor and interesting helms that cover the eyes and expose the mouth and nose. All kinds of cool things. There's a really cool concept art sketch in the WOTLK art book of a San'layn melee warrior who has what look like porcelain masks all up and down his arms, that reminds me of a demon hunter tier set as well.
Edited by Elrith on 9/19/2012 12:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/19/2012 12:39 AMPosted by Elrith
I would die for a sashimono for my orc warrior, I wonder why they don't have anything in that regard. In the Theramore event we got to use Alliance banners on our backs like sashimonos, and the blade master warrior trainer in Orgrimmar has his sashimono displayed proudly. I would love to have one that just clips through walls and doorways.

I'd love to see Blizzard add in the option for a player to either use a tabard or a back-banner to display guild affiliation. It seems like something that could feasibly be added within the Pandaria arc, too. It would be a vanity choice, but it would add variety. And they wouldn't cover up the chest pieces, either.

Also, as to the armor sets, there is a hunter PvP set (Wrathful Gladiator, I believe) that has a helm with no eyes. While I'm certain it's meant to have slender eyeslits, the overall effect is that of a metal blindfold. It's become my go-to transmog set for my "full armor" look. If you have the artbook for Burning Crusade, you'll see a concept sketch for "Demon Stalker" that never made it in game. It was a cross between a samurai and a WoW demon hunter, and it looked rather good. Ironically, they ended up using that design for Diablo 3's demon hunter class instead.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
09/18/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Charlíesheen
Demon Hunters don't even necessarily have to have that ability; it could just be an Illidan-only think
nah demon hunters eventually turn into looking like illidan the moar powerful they get. illidan stayed the same way for a very long time (10,000 years) because he was locked up and didnt do anything. then he got the fel energy boast with gul'dans skull (a warlock btw, previously a shaman apprentice) Demon hunters and warlocks both use fel energies they just use it for a different purpose. demon hunters are moar like magically enchanced melee, and warlocks are ranged casters that bind the will of demons to theirs so that the demons do their bidding. they both can and should have meta form.

Sorry, but I have to chime in here; Warlocks have gotten *WAY* more love than most Classes over the years.
lol weakest dps class in wotlk for 2.5 content releases (the alittle after toc came out locks got buffed then moar so during icc) and locks have mostly always been the least played class and its been on decline since bc. I would definitely agree that locks got moar love for the cata release. :)

You're overlooking one key factor, though; the Skull of Gul'dan. That is an outside-influence, and as you mentioned, Gul'dan himself was a Warlock. Illidan didn't stay in Night Elf-form because he was bored; he stayed a Night Elf because it was literally the only form he had access to. Without the Skull of Gul'dan, Illidan may have never acquired Metamorphosis, and given the circumstances of his transformation, it's pretty unlikely he ever would have.

The way I see it, by bringing Illidan back, they really have a ton of different ways they could incorporate them. They would obviously need *some* magical presence, to distinguish themselves from Rogues, but there is a lot of leeway. Plus, as I said, they could easily just steer Warlocks more towards Shadowy magic, and have Demon Hunters delving primarily in Fel-fire abilities; it's not like Warlocks have more than one or two spells that even use green-fire anyways.

In doing so, allow Warlocks to keep Metamorphosis, and focus on building the Demon Hunter up as a non-Metamorphosis variant of the Class. Like I said, Blizzard managed to work it out for the Death Knight, so I have absolute faith they could do it here, too.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
09/19/2012 05:54 AMPosted by Tharion

I'd love to see Blizzard add in the option for a player to either use a tabard or a back-banner to display guild affiliation. It seems like something that could feasibly be added within the Pandaria arc, too. It would be a vanity choice, but it would add variety. And they wouldn't cover up the chest pieces, either.

Also, as to the armor sets, there is a hunter PvP set (Wrathful Gladiator, I believe) that has a helm with no eyes. While I'm certain it's meant to have slender eyeslits, the overall effect is that of a metal blindfold. It's become my go-to transmog set for my "full armor" look. If you have the artbook for Burning Crusade, you'll see a concept sketch for "Demon Stalker" that never made it in game. It was a cross between a samurai and a WoW demon hunter, and it looked rather good. Ironically, they ended up using that design for Diablo 3's demon hunter class instead.

09/19/2012 05:54 AMPosted by Tharion

Yes I know exactly the concept art you're talking about, it's one of the things over the years I've seen that makes me think Blizzard is still carrying a torch for demon hunters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]