Wands are a liability to Healing and DPS.

(Locked)

19 Draenei Shaman
wands destroy totems (unless the shaman is glyphed otherwise) and, as a disc priest, keep people from capping nodes in AB and Gilnasty. I used to have shadow word death for that job, but now that all my damage spells are cast time only, I need a quick, instant attack. Wand fills that purpose.

Have a shaman drop 5hp totem next to you and start casting smite. Enjoy your healing lockout when you get kicked because you don't have mindblast, mindspike or shadow word death anymore.

Wands are fine. Stop macroing startattack.
90 Undead Warlock
Hunters had to learn to not right click anything they didn't want to lodge an arrow in right away.

So what exactly is the difference when a caster now uses a wand? Nothing. Deal with it.
90 Goblin Warlock
reading is hard

it's not solely a macro/startattack issue it happens from just right clicking targets as well

why are you right clicking? No caster needs to right click ever unless it's to kill a totem maybe.

And also there is no need for startattack macros either and it's funny that the OP tried to say l2p when he/she was called out on it when someone clarified that you don't need startattack you can use a target macro that works equally as well.

Dumb thread is dumb.
90 Troll Rogue
As Devinthedude said, for Tsundery, use /targetenemy instead of /startattack. Problem solved. As far as right-clicking, I don't know why you would do this intentionally as a caster, but its time to break that habit. You had no good reason to be doing so in the first place, don't blame Blizz that committing that to muscle memory has now screwed you over if you use a wand. And yes, I play casters also, and no, I never right-click a target as one.

Dumb thread is dumb.
This. So much. Had been trying to figure out what the issue was for so long. And to all the people saying "/startattack is bad" "Right clicking is for noobs" Neither of those should conflict with this, therefor its a broken mechanic not bad habits.

And also for the record, left clicking target and casting haunt will still periodically shoot my want for no reason, so its not just the other things.
90 Human Warlock
Be sure to disable "interact on left click" from your interface options. Makes even selecting a target begin the attack process.
Incredibly annoying.

Other than that... I haven't had an issue. (once that retarded automatically enabled option was turned off)
90 Worgen Druid
09/10/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Greìl
There is your issue, you've macroed /startattack to a spell that isn't even affected by /startattack causing you to start shooting with your wand. Melee and hunters are the only classes who should ever macro /startattack into their abilities.

A lot of people put that into their non-instant spells as an easier way of targeting the boss or a new mob when one dies so you don't have to hit the Tab key, you can just continue on with your rotation.

On my Mage I had the same problem, even when I'd left click a new mob, it would shoot with a wand and delay my casting. There should at least be a way to turn off auto-Shoot from the Spellbook. You'd then have to click Shoot to start Wanding someone (I have no idea why you would ever want to auto-attack with a wand).

10/01/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Acteon
Be sure to disable "interact on left click" from your interface options.

That was one of the first things I did when the patch hit and I realized that it was auto-casting and causing a GCD, but it seemed to still auto-cast on a new target sometimes, even with the option turned off.
Edited by Starcaller on 10/2/2012 12:40 AM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
09/10/2012 07:33 AMPosted by Tsundery
a weapon type shouldn't interfere with my ability to cast spells, period. :D

It doesn't. It's your macros that are interfering.

I don't really see any benefit at all to macroing /startattack into all, or even any, of your offensive abilities. It's clearly interfering, however, so perhaps it's time to rethink those macros.
85 Human Warlock
I believe that wands completely break demo warlocks dps because of the attacks in meta. Wands are not fine.
86 Dwarf Paladin
09/09/2012 08:54 AMPosted by Nugget
Haven't noticed this on my mage but don't use those types of macros except for pet attack based ones. Sounds like they need to do the same thing they did to Shoot for warriors/rogues, just make it a separate ability altogether instead of a function of a weapon.

This - bingo
90 Blood Elf Warlock
10/02/2012 01:10 PMPosted by Uthander
I believe that wands completely break demo warlocks dps because of the attacks in meta. Wands are not fine.

Yep. Meta and Dark Apotheosis start an autoattack on their own. No one in their right mind has used "wanding" for years. Needs fixing, particularly since the only raid weapon currently available for mages and warlocks is one.
Edited by Kelvaren on 10/2/2012 11:23 PM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
10/02/2012 11:16 PMPosted by Kelvaren

Yep. Meta and Dark Apotheosis start an autoattack on their own. No one in their right mind has used "wanding" for years. Needs fixing, particularly since the only raid weapon currently available for mages and warlocks is one.

I have to say, the thought of a warlock calling on demonic powers to transform into this big, badass demon and then start flinging little sparks at people using a wand like Star Shooter (sparkly fairy godmother-like star wand) is pretty freakin' hilarious.

Needs to be fixed, for sure. But still a funny image.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Needs addressing for demonology warlocks at the very least. Sitting on a wand upgrade you can't use is rather irritating.
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/02/2012 01:10 PMPosted by Uthander

See, this is an actual issue. Most of the complaining in this thread has just been stupid.
Edited by Quard on 10/5/2012 11:54 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Priest
Good ol' GC, clueless as usual.

It's too bad, I was really looking forward to padding my numbers with wand autoattacks, but those clever guys are way ahead of me.

Number than a pounded thumb.
90 Human Priest
Would really like to keep this thread alive because this problem is real and murders our dps when using macros.

If you don't use macros then you probably don't need to worry about this problem because you are like.....totally awesome and stuff.
Anyway:
/targetenemy-The reason why this doesn't work is because macro people are button mashers. Its what we do...it's our favorite. So if we need target something near and fast then this would target an enemy...then target something else...then target something else. We just want to target 1 enemy...that's it.
/startattack-I'm a priest. I lifegrip stuff, i heal stuff, monsters die. So i need to move on and target the nearest enemy fast. This does that, yet if my macro is stuck on waiting a millisecond for a casting spell to come off cooldown it will instead auto-attack/wand making me waste a GCD.

-If anyone knows how to target a nearby enemy quickly(without tabbing to the next enemy when button mashing) then I welcome your input.
-If anyone knows how to turn off wanding/autoattack then that would be great too.

Wands are dumb.
90 Pandaren Monk
Just have wands go the way of relics and turn them into grey vendor trash. Avoids this issue entirely. Replace the Elegon one with a dagger and even more are better off.
90 Human Priest
Actually I figured it out.
This was mentioned already but this works.

/startattack
/stopattack

Throw that at the bottom of your damage macros and button mashing shouldn't auto-shoot.

*high-five*
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]