Monk healing vs Resto shaman vs priest healin

87 Night Elf Death Knight
ok well ive thought about healing for my RBG team ill be doing and we need more heals.

anyways, what classes here would help me the most?

I am more of a defensive healer then aggresive. I dont want to attack and heal, I just wanna heal and throw out CC's like a stun or something.

This intrests my playstyle for my RBG style.

I would like to roll one of these tho I already have a 85 shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Monks don't have an offensive Dispel like Priests and Shamans do, so they're less offensive casters. They do have multiple CC's/stuns, though.

Monks have extremely high mobility and low passive mitigation. Monks are very strong against stuns, though, through a Passive called Dematerialize. When you're stunned, you become unhittable for 2.5 seconds, ICD of 10 seconds. They also have Roll which is a gap opener/closer on a fairly short cooldown, so they're quite slippery.

Priests and Shamans can really help to facilitate the kill with offensive dispels. Priests also have Fears, which I consider an "offensive" tactic. Shamans have Capacitor Totem which is a stun, but that doesn't sound like what you want to do.

Monks will likely be OP as Sparkle said. Dematerialize will be a huge part of it. Their burst healing is also enormous, but extremely expensive. But hey, that's what PvP is all about.
Edited by Qùess on 9/10/2012 10:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Monks don't have an offensive Dispel like Priests and Shamans do, so they're less offensive casters. They do have multiple CC's/stuns, though.

Monks have extremely high mobility and low passive mitigation. Monks are very strong against stuns, though, through a Passive called Dematerialize. When you're stunned, you become unhittable for 2.5 seconds, ICD of 10 seconds. They also have Roll which is a gap opener/closer on a fairly short cooldown, so they're quite slippery.

Priests and Shamans can really help to facilitate the kill with offensive dispels. Priests also have Fears, which I consider an "offensive" tactic. Shamans have Capacitor Totem which is a stun, but that doesn't sound like what you want to do.

Monks will likely be OP as Sparkle said. Dematerialize will be a huge part of it. Their burst healing is also enormous, but extremely expensive. But hey, that's what PvP is all about.

Well its for RBG's. Im fine with CCing like the hammer of jstice/fist of justice. Thats all fine, but its the attacking with spells and such I hate during healing.

I have a shaman 85, and I dont mind resto healing. :D

ive tried it and liked it.

I just gotta see if my firend will pay for 2 server transfers or just one :o
Edited by Sauronbaine on 9/10/2012 10:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well, monks are probably going to end up meleeing a fair bit but they're certainly not going to be hanging out channeling Crackling Jade Lightning, which is their only offensive 'spell'. If you're cool with meleeing and just don't like DPS casting, go monk...they'll be OP as frack.

The paladin toolkit is built around being fantastic 'defensive' healers, but 5.0.4 gave them some crazy-!@# damage as well, so you might be expected to be Denouncing and Holy Shocking offensively. To be honest, holy paladins are scary as all hell in PvP right now.

Priests are definitely still more on the offensive side.

Druids are big on the defense/utility and don't seem to use their damaging spells as much as paladins/priests (more along the lines of shamans, really). The major thing with druids is all the shapeshifting, which could potentially be annoying if you don't enjoy it. The advantage, though, is stealth as a healer.
Reply Quote
Well, monks are probably going to end up meleeing a fair bit but they're certainly not going to be hanging out channeling Crackling Jade Lightning, which is their only offensive 'spell'. If you're cool with meleeing and just don't like DPS casting, go monk...they'll be OP as frack.

The paladin toolkit is built around being fantastic 'defensive' healers, but 5.0.4 gave them some crazy-!@# damage as well, so you might be expected to be Denouncing and Holy Shocking offensively. To be honest, holy paladins are scary as all hell in PvP right now.

Priests are definitely still more on the offensive side.

Druids are big on the defense/utility and don't seem to use their damaging spells as much as paladins/priests (more along the lines of shamans, really). The major thing with druids is all the shapeshifting, which could potentially be annoying if you don't enjoy it. The advantage, though, is stealth as a healer.

well Meleeing? Monks need to melee to heal? Why?

so shamans are offensive?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

so shamans are offensive?

They are designed to transition seamlessly between ranged and melee healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/10/2012 10:54 PMPosted by Kaels

Druids also gained several quality of life improvements with the patch. The ability to move 3 stacks of lifebloom is amazing, the changes to uptime for our mastery and LB is quite nice as well. All things being equal resto druids were fairly slippery for melee already, MoP appears to be adding to that.

If I can manage to remember all of my cool downs I do pretty well... unfortunately, I'm primarily a PVE healer and an airhead to boot... please don't look at my arena rankings to judge resto... lol

I'm looking forward to seeing if the changes from MoP will add enough survivability. And I love my kitty stealth... lol

Cheers,
Zen
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/10/2012 11:00 PMPosted by Sauronbaine

Well, they don't absolutely have to melee to heal, but it's probably a good idea to use it at least some of the time - the ranged healing style is going to tend to expose you to a lot of interrupts because of its dependence on a channeled heal (think Drain Soul, not Penance) for both healing and chi generation. The melee style is highly mobile, very slippery, and basically interrupt-free.
Reply Quote
I see.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
From what I can tell, only Holy priests are the least offensive PvP healers right now, but at the same time I do not think they are considered viable. Who knows, I know nothing of Holy priests, really.

However:

-Shamans have okay damage options with their fire totems and Flame Shock/Lava Burst combos that they should be trying to take advantage of if they want to be their best. They also use a lot of Interrupts and Offensive Dispels.
-Druids can do some pretty impressive damage with Cat form now.
-Paladins hurt.
-Discipline Priests have always been offensive DPS/Healer hybrids in PvP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]