Vengence and threat..

90 Worgen Druid
I know another thread about the vengence changes. I dont want to complain about them, but I do have a suggestion. For certain encounters the new vengence model makes tank swaps nearly impossible. For example, HM madness. Once Tank A takes a impale and tank B goes to taunt, tank B is unable to overcome tank A's threat table. During my guilds HM Madness run we have always ran two tanks. This week when my blood dk took the impale I was unable to overcome his threat even after multiple taunts and blowing incarnation. Our only solution was to have the tank that took the impale to run away and sit in the back with nothing to do. We ended up seeing this as just a plain waste and we 1 tanked it since the nerf makes the fight trivial anyways. I am just concerned with this vengence model on bosses that we will have to do taunt switches. My suggestion is that we give every tank a aggro reset ability. For example allowing Guardian tanks to use cower in guardian spec. Thanks!
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Hunter
/cancelaura vengeance

problem solved.

i have a similar line in every macro i make - /cancelaura Hand of protection - to prevent lolpallytrolling in LFD.
Edited by Freph on 9/7/2012 4:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
The problem with heroic Madness isn't so much the tank swap, it's the huge freaking damage from the impale. Did you try taunting later? You've got the whole time between impales to let vengeance settle down a bit.

Alternatively, what Freph said. Or switch out of blood presence.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Edited by Waniou on 9/7/2012 4:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Yah I spammed taunt on it.. I have not tried the cancelaura macro. That is a good suggestion. If you switch out of blood presence.. he will get one shotted.. :P
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Also Waniou.. the huge damage from the impale is completely manageable. I just use SI and barkskin.. Win..
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/07/2012 03:48 AMPosted by Sgtgrumblez
My suggestion is that we give every tank a aggro reset ability.

09/07/2012 04:08 AMPosted by Freph
/cancelaura vengeance
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The only thing with that is. During a LFR do you really think some new tank is going to know what a cancelaura macro is?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It's very easy to stop attacking if you're playing with that new tank. It's also very easy to solo multiple impales in LFR if not hitting buttons is too hard.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
09/07/2012 04:24 AMPosted by Sgtgrumblez
The only thing with that is. During a LFR do you really think some new tank is going to know what a cancelaura macro is?

Take it first then. Alternatively, you're not new, you have timers; it's on a predictable timer, taunt right before Impale is cast. He'll have lost his massive Vengeance boost at that point as well, so you may not even lose aggro.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Even after I stopped attacking my co-tank was unable to overcome the threat. We did manage to get around the situation, however I see this being a huge problem on LFR or pugs with new tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
09/07/2012 04:46 AMPosted by Sgtgrumblez
Even after I stopped attacking my co-tank was unable to overcome the threat.

That seems to fly in the face of how taunt works. He should have had your threat +10% when he taunted.

Also, after the other tank has taunted, the first tank can back out of melee range to guarantee it goes to the second tank.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Yes thats what we had to do.. taunt then back our of range. However on a boss that is able to follow the tank(IE: not the corruption) this could still make it problematic. Like I said. We were still able to overcome the headache. I just fear doing LFR with a new tank. It shouldnt have to be so much work to overcome another tank in threat when your co-tanking a boss.
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Paladin
for madness, have the OT taunt when the cooldown for impale is about to pop up.

your mt will be doing over 100k DPS, and you probably won't get impale #2.

There's no disadvantage to tanking with the debuff until the 2nd impale is coming.

edit; should of read all instead of just half the replies, was already said.

in LFR, you can take 1st impale no CD, and take 2nd with a cd, so there's no need to worry about the other tank screwing up, if he does, just solo tank the rest.

If you're getting 3 impales in LFR, drop group
Edited by Wonabag on 9/7/2012 5:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/07/2012 04:46 AMPosted by Sgtgrumblez
Even after I stopped attacking my co-tank was unable to overcome the threat. We did manage to get around the situation, however I see this being a huge problem on LFR or pugs with new tanks.

Then let them die and get b'rez'd; they'll learn. Sink or swim, baby.

09/07/2012 05:02 AMPosted by Sgtgrumblez
It shouldnt have to be so much work to overcome another tank in threat when your co-tanking a boss.

This has ALWAYS been an issue, even before vengeance. It's simply part of 2 tanking. To your original point, not only can tanks just cancel vengeance, every tank does have a way to generate less threat:

Pally: Turn off righteous fury
Warrior: Switch to battle stance
DK: Switch to unholy presence
Druid: Switch to kitty

The tools are there, it's just a matter of tanks knowing to use them. No matter what you give people, some tanks will just not do it right.

We had a tank in ulduar who used taunt in his rotation because it was the only way he could remotely hold aggro, and never used CD's because "he was saving them for emergencies". We were like "well you're dying, maybe this counts?"
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

I would love to see a guardian druid switch to kitty while having threat and survive... :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

I would love to see a guardian druid switch to kitty while having threat and survive... :P

Good thing we're talking about 2 tank fights then.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
lol... The problem is dropping aggro.. sooo switching to kitty to drop aggro is not viable at all..
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
LOL.. Im not saying it isnt possible.. I dont think you undertand the thread. I am just asking to make transitions smoother.. And yes I must not know how to play.. :P
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Paladin
The impale is unique in a few aspects

It's a short resetting agro table (as in, every platform, you have a new threat table on a mob only being tanked for a few seconds, which makes taunts weaker)

You have the over 1m damage spike that is literally broken with the uncapped vengeance change.

And you have damage buffs that throw it off even furhter.

All of these add up to something you won't see very often, if ever again.

Transitions on fights like Warmaster are what you should expect, and that fight, is honestly not a problem as taunt is god mode for it.

Blackhorn p2 is kind of the model taunt back and forth encounter.

The fact of the matter is, when you get that 250k attack power from the impale, your dot alone will out threat the other tank, and most groups decide to taunt off during that impale, which is only about 10s after the tentacle is out... 10s of threat, then taunt doesn't add up to very much. In traditional 2 tank encounters, vengeance isn't working too bad.
Edited by Wonabag on 9/7/2012 6:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]