Shadow Word: Death delay

90 Pandaren Hunter
Hi, I'm levelling a priest, and I noticed an issue with Shadow Word: Death. There's a very noticeable delay between the mob reaching sub 20% health, and the ability activating. The difference was especially obvious to me because I've used Kill Shot so much through cata (which has a similar mechanic), and my favourite method of finishing off quest mobs pre-patch was always a SWD. Is this a bug? Or a design change?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Kill Shot is still similarly terrible, right?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Yes there is a delay. People often die in BGs before the damn spell even lights up for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
09/08/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Nixxe
Kill Shot is still similarly terrible, right?

I've spent almost all my time post-patch on the dummies, so I honestly have no idea. Pre-patch Kill Shot was fine.

09/08/2012 03:18 PMPosted by Kaít
Yes there is a delay. People often die in BGs before the damn spell even lights up for me.

That really sucks. Is this a documented issue? Has someone told the devs?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
NMB
You're not imagining it.

Others have complained about it to.

So frustrating to be spamming it like mad once the enemy gets to 20%, only to have them heal just in time as a result of the delay.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
You're not imagining it.

Others have complained about it to.

So frustrating to be spamming it like mad once the enemy gets to 20%, only to have them heal just in time as a result of the delay.

:(

WTB fix. I'll try mentioning it in the bugs section and see how they react.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
09/08/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Niks

^THIS!
Omfg so annoying -.-
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
There's a thread here guys, in the bugs section. If you wish to, you can voice your concerns there: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6202180158
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I've too noticed the delay to SW:Death becoming useable. It has such a large delay, I'm finding myself ignoring it and start SW:Pain spam instead, or continuing with Mind Flay to insure the enemy player dies as fast as possible.

What I'm not sure about is rather the lost of 5% (use to do extra damage to targets below 25% not 20%) is amplifying the delay that's there or delay is really as long as it feels. I do know too, that in beta at 90 it feels a hair more responsive with everyone with larger health pools, but only a hair more responsive. There still is a delayed feeling between 20% health and when the spell does damage.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
This was one of the reasons I was so against the change to SW:D. I'm not sure about Hunters but when Warlock's shadowburn was change to the below 20% requirement, there was a noticeable delay. Maybe its an issue with casters, but from my experience, the 20% requirement is a bit shaky.

I still find it very usable and good (I pvp mostly), but its not as smooth, reliable and, most importantly, not as fun. I really wish they would have kept our SW:D unique; it suited our class better on many levels.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
This change has made using SW:D unbelievably obnoxious. In dungeons and even sometimes solo mobs will die before the button lights up.
09/11/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Vindicaa
It's working as intended. All classes with an execute that only activates at a certain percentage has this delay, before 5.0 it was castable at any time, if you glyph it there is no delay. It will never be fixed because it's simply a lag issue.

It's a stupid change. It's not a lag issue, it's bad UI. The game will not let you transmit the command to cast the spell to the server when it would have been a valid action. This is bad design. It should not be that way, for any spell, and it makes using them very frustrating and awkward.

For what it's worth, Weakened Soul has been the same way (it's impossible to chain shields perfectly because you're prohibited from attempting to cast a new shield at a time that would have been valid) since... BC, I think was when they made it that way? That's the first time I remember being annoyed about it, in any event.

It's not necessary. It's not something that's magically caused by latency and has no fix. It's poor design, it's incredibly awkward and it should be corrected.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/11/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Vindicaa
It's working as intended. All classes with an execute that only activates at a certain percentage has this delay, before 5.0 it was castable at any time, if you glyph it there is no delay. It will never be fixed because it's simply a lag issue.

this, but it's still annoying as hell.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Noticed this and like stated very irritating
Reply Quote
Same, drives me insane. 86 now and the fastest kill rotation I've found seems to be VT, 2 orb DP, mind blast, flay, SW:D, repeat. Seems to kill a couple seconds faster than mind spike spam and keeps my health/mana topped off. Losing that orb from SW:D kills my flow.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Then it should be made available sooner, as it is it's really annoying and clunky.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Heh, even PVE players hate the SW:D change that broke PVP.

If they had just left it like it was you could pre-cast it, always worked well before.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It's a lag issue, plain and simple. Nothing to do with "bad design" or "bad UI". The underlined section, that's what we call lag. The issue simply derives from latency between the client and server. When you see the mob is < 20%, you see it instantly, but the latency of the game acknowledging this on the server's side is why the delay exists.

The underlined section is also something that could be solved with better design - letting you attempt to cast SWD when you see the enemy having <20% HP. Like with /stopcasting letting you start casting a spell before the server has seen your previous cast finish.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
It's a lag issue, plain and simple. Nothing to do with "bad design" or "bad UI". The underlined section, that's what we call lag. The issue simply derives from latency between the client and server. When you see the mob is < 20%, you see it instantly, but the latency of the game acknowledging this on the server's side is why the delay exists.

The underlined section is also something that could be solved with better design - letting you attempt to cast SWD when you see the enemy having <20% HP. Like with /stopcasting letting you start casting a spell before the server has seen your previous cast finish.

Thanks, exactly. There's no reason the client has to be crippled into being unable to attempt to cast spells when they would have been valid casts when they hit the server.

Power Word: Shield has had the same problem since BC (IIRC, it did not in vanilla).

There are sort of spiritually similar issues related to range, as well (the client will permit you to cast spells that will be invalid when they hit the server on a target that's moving out of range, but will prevent you from casting spells that would be valid on targets that are moving into range). They're all annoying and they should all be fixed.

The client should never prevent you from performing a valid action. This should be an explicit, QA-checked design goal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]