Shadow Word: Death delay

90 Human Priest
10/01/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Jackblackqt
Ok well when you guys figure out how to eliminate latency, let Blizzard know.

I can't speak for Shania, but I think I do understand about latency and that this isn't as simple as you think. It's not just like the issue involves latency and therefore there is no solution or workaround.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've incorporated the delay into my playstyle. When I think someone may be at 20% I keep DPSing until it appears then it's kill time. Though I'll probably be glyphing into it for Arena.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It's quite easy to fix. They just need to eliminate the check done on the client side. Transmit the command anyway, for the server to accept or reject at the time when it arrives at the server.

Think about it this way, if it is Monday, and I am posting a letter, I know it takes two days for my letter to get to its destination, I can write on the letter "Happy Wednesday!" because I know the letter will be read on Wednesday. It doesn't make sense for me to hold off writing the letter until Wednesday, just so that when I write the message, I am writing what appears to be the correct day. If I did, my message would arrive very late!

And if I write "Happy Wednesday" and the letter is actually read on Tuesday, I have not violated space time and thrust the receiver into the future against their will. All that they need to do is write back "I received the letter on Tuesday, you !@#$!"
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It's a lag issue, plain and simple. Nothing to do with "bad design" or "bad UI". The underlined section, that's what we call lag. The issue simply derives from latency between the client and server. When you see the mob is < 20%, you see it instantly, but the latency of the game acknowledging this on the server's side is why the delay exists.

And this is backward, too. It is not "you see it instantly, but the latency of the game acknowledging this on the server's side." Its the other way round.

The mob is <20% on the server, but your own computer hasn't received the update from the server with the mob's latest HP yet.

And it feels like there is a secondary issue compounding this, too. Even when the UI shows HP is less than 20%, it takes time for the UI to register the fact and light up the ability. I would not be surprised if it is actually a message sent from the server to "make the ability available now," adding an additional delay.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
If this is a latency issue, and nothing has changed in my setup since 5.0.4 hit..

why am I seeing the delay now, and never did before?

I call bull!@#$ on the latency explanation.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
10/01/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Jackblackqt
Ok well when you guys figure out how to eliminate latency, let Blizzard know.

If it's just a latency issue it should work both ways right? The delay in being able to cast SW:D when a target hits 20% would be mirrored by a delay where you could still use the ability after they healed. That's not happening.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Definitely noticed this while leveling shadow. A couple times I reread the tooltip to see if I was missing something. Nope just has a really odd delay, which I got I got used to the timing by the time I was 90 anyways. It wasn't a big deal while questing, but I bet it is infuriating while PvPing. . ..
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Not to mention that the latency doesn't account for the fact that we're talking upwards of 2 seconds before you're able to cast the ability. I don't know about anyone else's latency, but mine generally sits at around 100ms.

If the opponent's health bar says it is under 20%, then obviously my client knows that it's under 20%. The point in time that my client actually receives that hp update from the server is affected by latency - the server probably knows that a split second before I do. However, when the execute ability becomes available should not require any further communication between the client and the server until I actually perform the execute.

The point is, if the client shows my target's HP <20%, then the client should allow the execute action. If the server wants to validate the command after I've sent it, fine - it should. That would be completely acceptable. I'm sure occassionally the execute would get 'sniped' by a heal, but so be it. At least the execute would be available immediately.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
10/01/2012 09:27 PMPosted by Dominish
It's quite easy to fix. They just need to eliminate the check done on the client side. Transmit the command anyway, for the server to accept or reject at the time when it arrives at the server.

Blizz, do that please...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's doesn't seem like it's a bug. IT really feels that way for a lot of abilities... it's like the servers aren't fast enough for my internet connection.

PW: Shield falls off... I cast it again and get the Blue Hand Of Fail. IT's because the server didn't recognize that it had fallen off before I did.

I spam SW: Death. My % showed it was available, but the code didn't send the message that it was now unlocked for me to use.

I really feel it's an overall coding issue for WoW that a hard Bug. It's working, just not as fast as we expect it should.

Edit:

10/02/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Cynbell

Blizz, do that please...

Oh. Do that. Yes please.
Edited by Feythylan on 10/2/2012 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
If this is a latency issue, and nothing has changed in my setup since 5.0.4 hit..

why am I seeing the delay now, and never did before?

I call bull!@#$ on the latency explanation.

Because before 5.0 you could cast SWD at any time, it didn't activate at any percentage. If you glyph SWD right now, there isn't a delay any more. Now that it activates only at a certain % you have to wait for the latency.

What the !@#$ are you talking about

Do you even have a priest?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
It's not lag!
Paladins and warlocks don't have this issue with their executes.
This is a really old and annoying priest problem.
Blizzard should do something about it... Making Shadow Word: Death as responsive as Hammer of Wrath, for instance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Here's my opinion on the situation. There is a fine line between 20.9% and 20%. You need to display decimals because SW:D will not activate until <=20%, so therefore it will not activate at 20.1%.

I typically do not see a delay when I'm waiting for it to be <20% (IE 19.9%, or 19.8%, etc).
Edited by Waynebrady on 2/21/2013 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Blizz, do that please...

I'm not sure it's that easy, since (i) the client will need to wait around to see if the server accepts the command before you can use your next ability and (ii) when would the GCD start?

The simplest solution would just be to revert SWD to the old mechanic (castable anytime but does more damage to targets below 20%).

Here's my opinion on the situation. There is a fine line between 20.9% and 20%. You need to display decimals because SW:D will not activate until <=20%, so therefore it will not activate at 20.1%.

I typically do not see a delay when I'm waiting for it to be <20% (IE 19.9%, or 19.8%, etc).

This is often a problem but I don't think it's the main problem with SWD. I can't begin to say how many times I've hit SWD after a spell reduced the target to much less than 20% and haven't had it happen until the 2nd or 3rd keypress.
Edited by Atuan on 2/22/2013 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
It's latency, not lag. There's no unexpected element, you *always* have to wait for a round-trip communication to the server and back to green-light the ability. For whatever reason, the coding behind all executes was changed and could no longer rely on the server overriding a client sending those commands.

What would be interesting is to comb through logs to see if a dot tick that damages something to exactly 20% instantly triggers Twist of Fate, or if that has a delay too. Or similarly, see if a target healed above 20% a few ms before a SW:D ever takes the full hit.

I suspect it's just a game performance thing setting these checks at a lower priority than other events, so haven't really been inclined to dig into it more.
Edited by Breathkeeper on 2/22/2013 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]