On Suicide.

90 Human Paladin
09/11/2012 08:39 AMPosted by Kesi
I don't believe it is usually one person or thing that can cause that kind of despair on its own, but if life in general has been dark and unbearable, then one person or thing can be the last straw that tips the scale. I tend to try to live by: "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Very insightful. I like it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not everyone harasses people. I know I don't, I treat others how I want to be treated.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
09/11/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Magdaleine
Like, if someone is on the forums saying "Be nice to everyone!" and in-game they're doing all they can to harass others, they're not helping at all.

I would agree with that of course. Too many people spout statements of morality and then don't practice them.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
I want to comment on this...

I really do... but...

I have the feeling I will just piss people off...

Screw it, TL:DR version...

I've been there, I've had soooooo many things blow up on me in my life in the last few years and ... well, there are very -VERY- few people on moon guard I will even bother -trying- to talk to about it anymore. I've had many of my 'friends' here blow me off, ignore me even outright berate me when I needed -someone- for support.

Factor in my social anxiety disorder, which means I have literally -no one- RL to lean on when things go sour, and it's a matter of just taking the beating all on my own.

Either way, suicide... Its a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Things will turn back around in time, you just have to ride it out.

*shrugs and puts on flame suit*
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Even for the people who aren't directly involved in the harassing, if you're standing by idly to "mind your own business" you don't really warrant any moral high ground either. All it takes is one neutral or impartial party to say "hey maybe that's not cool?" to deflate a bully.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Your real life information? O.o
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't think the purpose of this forum is to start arguing. If you have qualms with me..please speak to me in-game.
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
I hope everyone who posts here knows that they should mean what they say and be mindful.

I did intend for this to stay up, much longer than a day for sure, so it's clear that my offer will continue to stand. I chose to repeat it for a reason, it isn't a passing sentiment, and I hope others who comment can hold true to that also.

No one is being forced to speak with anyone, but I don't believe they could know I'm here unless I say it. I've withheld shaming and judgment and will continue to do so. The choice remains up to the reader. If anyone can imagine a better way to handle it, I'd wish to know.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Love you guys.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Bumping this to raise awareness. Hotline number's in the OP if anybody ever needs it.

Not going to say too much. Just woke up to a horrible, sad day is all.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
This is a lovely idea and all, even after the necro but please, please, please don't offer to counsel suicidal people unless you have had the training for it. It's not healthy for you, it's certainly not healthy for them, and it could lead to far more pain, even unintentionally.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/05/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Tzipara
don't offer to counsel suicidal people unless you have had the training for it. It's not healthy for you, it's certainly not healthy for them, and it could lead to far more pain, even unintentionally.
Reply Quote
On a side, far less serious note: National Taco Day was yesterday! After such a joy as that how could you even think of giving up? TACOS.
Edited by Palanar on 10/5/2012 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
69 Worgen Hunter
As one who has sought the help of such services in the past, I can say that (barring trying to assume the role of psychologist / psychiatrist), the sentiment is appreciated, especially from those who have been there themselves at one point or another.

Now of course, the topic is touchy and certainly no two people have the same experiences with the issue, but I, for one, enjoy the testimonies and support of people who have struggled with suicide and depression-- it reminds me that I am not a singularly crazy lunatic in this big wide world.

Thanks Lito, thanks to everyone else willing to share personal experiences. Sometimes the greatest argument for life is presented by those who have struggled over the fence to the 'healthy' side of life again.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This is a lovely idea and all, even after the necro but please, please, please don't offer to counsel suicidal people unless you have had the training for it. It's not healthy for you, it's certainly not healthy for them, and it could lead to far more pain, even unintentionally.

As a person currently going through this condition, it's far better just having someone to talk to on a personal basis than to just ignore it. I don't expect people to counsel me out of my problems, but when doctors and ther-apists are expensive, just having someone willing to be there to help talk out problems is more than enough help. More than most people would ever know.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
There's a difference between talking to someone and counseling them. Unless you have the training for it, you absolutely should not be offering counseling. Counseling is not "talking you out of your problems" by a long shot, but often just a friendly ear is not trained to cope with everything that someone else can lay on it. There are free services available to those who can't afford traditional ther-apists (blizzard is censoring it because of the last seven letters, btw) in every state. Churches, hospitals, even calling the for-pay services and asking for a referral. If you are depressed, having friends who are willing to listen is helpful, yes, but the truly suicidal need professional help.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]