Things You Don't Want to See Tanking PUGs.

67 Blood Elf Death Knight
I don't see why there isn't a tank version, but if someone knows why, feel free to explain. I got nothing to lose by making threads.

Anyway, the healer version of this is popular and the DPS one died off, so I figured I'd make a tank one since I haven't seen it. So, share your tank stories here!

Starting off small, though.

The biggest thing for me is people pulling for me. I can't understand why people insist on pulling for me. It doesn't piss me off as much when there are few mobs around, but if we're trying to clear a room and you're going off grabbing more mobs before I can catch my breath, I'm going to say something about it. Especially if it's the healer. After complaining about my tank style for half the instance my baby druid was tanking, my healer started pulling for me, making my noob druid tanking all the more difficult.

Anyone else? Wonder how far this'll go.
Edited by Sçru on 9/11/2012 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
When the DPS pull for me then complain about how horrible of a tank i am when i dont peel it off of them then they procede to kick me because they are all from the same guild.... very frustrating.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Stop healing yourself, that's supposed to be my job.
Its not my job to CC.
I didn't fail at "Fading Light" these healers suck.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
"I'm trying an experiment" from a warlock with her void walker out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Warlock: I'm tanking.
Reply Quote
73 Draenei Warrior
That damn DPS that sets his toon to follow and leaves without saying anything. I will put up with a lot if you let me know what is going on. Hell even an “AFK” and I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Stuff happens.

Ran into two the other day on the same instance, one right after the other. When the healer has 2% DPS from casting the random smite and is still beating out two players… I don’t want to be here all day either, do your job lazy good for nothings.

I give them 2 mins before I walk their butt over to the random trash mob without pulling.

I really love those healers that have a problem with it, “Are you sure, I can’t just let him die”
“Yes, Yes you can, and then we are going to kick”

My healer tried to rez one after we did this last night, “He is not there you are wasting your time”

“I know, I just was trying to give him 1 last chance”

How cute is that?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/10/2012 11:34 PMPosted by Sçru
I don't see why there isn't a tank version, but if someone knows why, feel free to explain.

We've had at least two that I can recall. They faded away over time due to waning interest.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I don't see why there isn't a tank version, but if someone knows why, feel free to explain. I got nothing to lose by making threads.

Anyway, the healer version of this is popular and the DPS one died off, so I figured I'd make a tank one since I haven't seen it. So, share your tank stories here!

Starting off small, though.

The biggest thing for me is people pulling for me. I can't understand why people insist on pulling for me. It doesn't piss me off as much when there are few mobs around, but if we're trying to clear a room and you're going off grabbing more mobs before I can catch my breath, I'm going to say something about it. Especially if it's the healer. After complaining about my tank style for half the instance my baby druid was tanking, my healer started pulling for me, making my noob druid tanking all the more difficult.

Anyone else? Wonder how far this'll go.

I find this especially annoying with the launch of 5.0.4 and the removal of righteous defense. When DPS/Healers are pulling mobs to their hearts content, it makes it very difficult to round all the adds up. It used to be you could just cast an aoe taunt and you were done with it. But now you have to wait eight seconds for every single mob that was pulled. Now I'm sure people are going to qq and tell me I have bad aggro. But lets just face it, when three dps are fully unloading on different trash, it makes it impossible to grab threat with a single tank ability such as shield or judgement. This forces you to wait for taunt to come off of cd. This is very irritating.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Every now and then or if I'm in a foul mood, when someone pulls for me and it clearly wasn't an accident ... I just jump around them in circles watching the fight and the raid frame to see how things are unfolding. Then everyone will yell stuff and act like you have no idea what you are doing and you *don't say anything* and just res or finish wiping and pretend nothing happened and try to continue on without a word. It breaks up the boredom.
Reply Quote
Them - me

"pull faster" - "nope, I'm helping a healer friend and we're going to do this the right way"
they pull anyways: they die, I LoL at the rage that ensues.

I mark a skull, x, blank. "please kill skull, x, blank" one dps focuses on blank, tears it, blank goes and whoops on dps. "why didn't you taunt off me/heal me?" me: "1) My taunt is for the healer, and you didn't follow a posted kill order" them: "!@#$ NOOB" me: "You are the one who can't follow simple directions." them: <incoherent rage> me: LOL (yes, we left him dead to run back in.

me: "please cc" (there was a mage, and two hunters). hunter 1: "what is CC?" mage: "I don't cc except in pvp" hunter 2 fires off snake trap... we wipe, they try to votekick me but the rules about guildies in a run prevent it (they were all the same guild, needed my guildy to vote along with them to get the kick i guess). run back, and stand in front of the mobs for about 10 minutes with me waiting for cc before they drop group.

The list can go on and on... it is incredible how stupid/rude people can be.
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Priest
09/10/2012 11:34 PMPosted by Sçru

I think the title would be better, "Things You Don't Want to See Tanking PUGs." I think healers are chatty so hear works for them. These tanks are all business and math in their threads. It has been my experience that they observe a lot and comment analytically. They are terse, their stories do not tend to go on like healers.

In my opinion, if they were trying express the same feeling about the title that I am making, they would comment about it like this:

Title - See not Hear = better

As opposed to my little paragraph.

Also because they are terse, unlike the typical healer, they can vent in their "lounge" thread and it does not take up pages. They say things like, "What's with ___" and are satisfied where a typical healer would go on for a page about the _____.
Edited by Sassinak on 9/11/2012 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
67 Blood Elf Death Knight
09/11/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Sassinak

I think the title would be better, "Things You Don't Want to See Tanking PUGs." I think healers are chatty so hear works for them. These tanks are all business and math in their threads. It has been my experience that they observe a lot and comment analytically. They are terse, their stories do not tend to go on like healers.

In my opinion, if they were trying express the same feeling about the title that I am making, they would comment about it like this:

Title - See not Hear = better

As opposed to my little paragraph.

Also because they are terse, unlike the typical healer, they can vent in their "lounge" thread and it does not take up pages. They say things like, "What's with ___" and are satisfied where a typical healer would go on for a page about the _____.

Actually, that's a good point. *edits title*
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My major, major pet peeve that irks me no end.

Getting a nice room full of mobs, circling them, rounding them up perfectly in a nice tight cluster, even facing away from the dps so they can wail upon backs to their content. I blow my cooldowns, getting ready to do some serious mangle damage to this pack of adds that is standing in my way.

When, out of the corner of my screen, what do I see? Yes, there he is! Why is that Elemental Shaman (insert Boomkin here as desired) running into melee? Not even running, SPRINTING! It's almost as if the Ice Cream Truck is driving past their house, that kind of running! What is is he doing? OH NO! NOOO! Thunderstorm!

Now, my beautiful rounded up pack of adds is flying in all directions across the room. I can look at my power aura and see my dps cooldown tick-tick-ticking away and nothing is in range anymore.

In the background, I can hear the maniacal laughing of the Femdwarf Shaman (which, if you haven't heard them is indeed maniacal) as she watches the poor bear run in circles, a fruitless struggle to gather them up. The dps have all scattered across the room, as lost as my poor adds.

It's going to be near impossible to gather them all back up now, Dps and adds alike. The dps have tasted their freedom now and it is a bitter taste in my mouth. I know that the rest of the dungeon will be me trying to corral the dps and herding adds, while the wolf in mail clothing waits to pull the rug out from under me once again.

That is my pet peeve.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
It's going to be near impossible to gather them all back up now, Dps and adds alike. The dps have tasted their freedom now and it is a bitter taste in my mouth. I know that the rest of the dungeon will be me trying to corral the dps and herding adds, while the wolf in mail clothing waits to pull the rug out from under me once again.

That is my pet peeve.

I'm willing to bet a fair portion of these players have tanking characters and are making sure to do this so they can watch you squirm.... figuratively speaking.

Not *ahem* that I'd ever do that...
Edited by Fangthane on 9/11/2012 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Any male toon wearing fasc's trolling gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
My major, major pet peeve that irks me no end.

Getting a nice room full of mobs, circling them, rounding them up perfectly in a nice tight cluster, even facing away from the dps so they can wail upon backs to their content. I blow my cooldowns, getting ready to do some serious mangle damage to this pack of adds that is standing in my way.

When, out of the corner of my screen, what do I see? Yes, there he is! Why is that Elemental Shaman (insert Boomkin here as desired) running into melee? Not even running, SPRINTING! It's almost as if the Ice Cream Truck is driving past their house, that kind of running! What is is he doing? OH NO! NOOO! Thunderstorm!

Now, my beautiful rounded up pack of adds is flying in all directions across the room. I can look at my power aura and see my dps cooldown tick-tick-ticking away and nothing is in range anymore.

In the background, I can hear the maniacal laughing of the Femdwarf Shaman (which, if you haven't heard them is indeed maniacal) as she watches the poor bear run in circles, a fruitless struggle to gather them up. The dps have all scattered across the room, as lost as my poor adds.

That is my pet peeve.

I for one don't round up mobs after a thunderstorm, or typhoon, infact if the shaman/druid pull agro in doing it, i don't taunt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
"Go"
"pull"
"attack"

The result is me RP walking for the rest of the dungeon, occasionally stopping to /dance.

If someone pulls I sometimes intervene the farthest player from the pack and then heroic leap even further.

I know this is stupid but I hate seeing something like "Sweet, a Warrior tank!" because it adds a lot of pressure.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
DK's that feel the need to Deathgrip after I charge into a pack and establish aoe aggro. For some reason they are too lazy to catch up and instead deathgrip the mob to them selves. When that happens I continue to kill my mobs, whisper the healer to not heal the retard and then do /sit. And thunderstorming shammys, but that just started recently.
Edited by Smãllpãckage on 9/11/2012 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/11/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Kelsquicker
That is my pet peeve.
You must be from the ASPCA.

Violence would be in my heart, not "oh, it's so cute with its sharp little teeth".

[e] Also, yes. these threads die.
Search function sucks, but it's something. GJ, OP.
Edited by Guidance on 9/11/2012 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Them - me

"pull faster" - "nope, I'm helping a healer friend and we're going to do this the right way"
they pull anyways: they die, I LoL at the rage that ensues.

I mark a skull, x, blank. "please kill skull, x, blank" one dps focuses on blank, tears it, blank goes and whoops on dps. "why didn't you taunt off me/heal me?" me: "1) My taunt is for the healer, and you didn't follow a posted kill order" them: "!@#$ NOOB" me: "You are the one who can't follow simple directions." them: <incoherent rage> me: LOL (yes, we left him dead to run back in.

me: "please cc" (there was a mage, and two hunters). hunter 1: "what is CC?" mage: "I don't cc except in pvp" hunter 2 fires off snake trap... we wipe, they try to votekick me but the rules about guildies in a run prevent it (they were all the same guild, needed my guildy to vote along with them to get the kick i guess). run back, and stand in front of the mobs for about 10 minutes with me waiting for cc before they drop group.

The list can go on and on... it is incredible how stupid/rude people can be.

This is a bit on the side of overkill. A good tank knows the mobs in the dungeon and can mark kill orders, CC, etc. But a good tank also knows how to push himself and his group as far as they can go. It makes the run go much more quickly, and makes everyone much happier. On my healer I vastly prefer a reckless tank that takes a lot of damage to one that spends 30 seconds every pull on unnecessary preparation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]