Sacred Shield VS. Eternal Flame

90 Human Paladin
just stuff iv noticed and would add (i know some stuff has been mentioned before but just doing a quick list)

EF benefits
Procs heals onto the beacon of light target initial and HoT
Procs protector of the innocent from its initial heal and HoT (edit: looks like it no longer procs from the HoT)
Causes mastery shield from initial cast and HoT
affected by haste and CD's
is the same as WoG but with a hot added ontop
can be on multiple targets

EF bad points
can be dispelled or spell stolen

SS benifits
auto shields the specified target for x amount every 6 seconds for 30 seconds
i believe it is also affected by haste
doesn't use and mana or holy power
stacks with other paladin SS (unless that's changed)

SS bad points
can be spell stolen or dispelled
can only be on 1 target
has a delay on initial shield once cast
isnt affected by most cooldowns (avenging wrath etc but i think it does benifit from haste cooldowns)

that's my little list lol if you are going raid heals EF i think wins but if you plan on focusing on direct tank heals id personaly go SS and if you have any other paladins in the raid to go SS and place them on the tanks to :D
Edited by Fallenangell on 9/18/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not much point comparing any of this until we hit 90 as while the mechanics will remain the same our stats and gameplay will change as with any expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Strictly PvE, I'd say baseline SS vs EF is fairly balanced. But EF seems a bit more powerful when you factor in HA/DP, due to the increased usage. I dont know if SS gets any bonus from Wings but I doubt it, whereas EF does. Same for Divine Favor.

And with the recent SS change, you get penalized a full absorb cycle (6 seconds) for allowing SS to fall off. On the plus side, SS absorbs more on a Tank then an EF HoT.

For PvP, they both suck. WTB Spellsteal!

100% agree, but which sucks less for PvP?
Edited by Iziren on 9/24/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Now since panda has been out for a few weeks what are you guys seeing ?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have used both talents a bit now and I have concluded this:

Eternal Flame is my better choice because I simply cannot deal with reminding myself to refresh an already pretty weak shield on the tank, especially when the raid is taking lots of damage - no time.

Eternal Flame I find heals just as much as WoG (if its a little less I dont care I was having great numbers last night) and leaves a HoT as a bonus - one less thing to think about.

If you can remember to reapply the shield, go for it, if not go with Eternal Flame as it will always give you that extra benefit without you having to make any extra effort.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
yea 20k shield 1 time every 5 really isn't benefiting much as the hot ticks every time tank is taking damage pretty much in that 30 the way the bosses hit its like the boss hits tick of eternal boss hit another heal of eternal. and with holy avenger up you can get 8-10 up pretty mana efficiently too!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Eternal Flame...that combined with divine purpose (the 3-holy power proc) you can have hots on like 5-6 people at a time. That combined with beacon of light on the tank, you have an excellent hot. Pretty op atm, I would even be willing to say.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
as a pvper, I like the spammable shield....
Reply Quote
As a 25man raider, I RARELY (if ever) use WoG over LoD, so it is an easy Sacred Shield for me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Honestly Eternal flame soooo op like honestly the only reason i am able to top heals even over priests
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
RISE MY UNDEAD MINION! RIIIIISE!
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Aside from crypting this thread even further.....are there any benefits to sacred shield vs eternal flame? I just feel eternal flame's tick is meh. A periodic absorb seems great for tank spike dmg....and there's still word of glory for HP consumption.

Just picked up my pally after being benched for AWHILE.....so i could be completely wrong lol. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Ultimately, it comes down to what you NEED, that is, where in your raid/dungeon you are at the most risk for deaths.

In general, EF is stronger because of several things. One, it "rolls" your mastery, since each tick also refreshes the duration, causing your shields to last for 45 seconds instead of 15 seconds. This is a huge help against overhealing, and more mana = more heals. EF has higher HPS, on average, than Sacred Shield, in part because it is affected by Haste, Crit, Mastery, and Beacon, whereas SS is only affected by haste. And lastly, EF doesn't require additional cooldowns in combat... it happens naturally when you cast Word of Glory.

SS has two main advantages. One being that it smooths out tank spikes. If this is where you are most likely to see a death in your party, SS has the stronger advantage. And two, if you frequently choose Light of Dawn over Eternal Flame/WoG, possibly because it's your role in the dungeon/raid, then you wouldn't benefit from EF, which means SS is stronger (in general, you need about 1 EF cast every 30 seconds for the healing to trump SS, but it varies on gear).

Since you're not yet max level, most damage that you will see in a dungeon is directed at a tank. Even rolling the shield for low Mastery overheal, you won't see enough party damage to justify it in 5-man dungeons (my own shields on non-tanks drops off all the time unless I spend tons of focus intentionally keeping them up, and that's a pain). SS, on the other hand, is welcome for the way it makes each of the dozens of pulls easier on you. It's not /much/ of a benefit, though.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you very much Wards. Excellent and thorough advice!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
PVP wise which one do you prefer ??
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
THE ONLY thing i have to add to this....

Sacred shield at 90 - 15000 absorb every 4 seconds.... 1 target.

Eternal flame at 90 - 50k initial with Dreadful gear, 10k ticks.... mulitple targets PLUS mastery stat gives an absorb shield for 17% of all healing done. so 1700 absorb every 2 sec.

I think eternal flame
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
ef ticks two to three times every 6 seconds for around 5-7k a tick for anywhere near 10-21k every 6 seconds where as ss will absorb around 13k every 5-6 seconds....where ef kicks ss butt is that it has potential to crit for 10-14k so if ef ticks even once it will have replaced an entire 6 seconds of ss in my opinion that puts it way above ss seeing as how it crits very often

in my opinion after a bit of testing ef can tick anywhere from 13-17 times depending on haste for anywhere from 70k-120k where as ss will absorb a flat 80k almost every time

also seeing as how you can only put a ss on one target just by adding ef on another target your in essence doubling if not tripling the amount of dmg mitigation you would be with ss
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
pvp always go selfless healer but between these two i think ef just comes out far ahead
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well Imo I like EF because it tbh i push about 20-30k more hps in fights, last longer on mana, and keep ppl topped off most of fights and the other good thing is whoever is beaconed gets all the ef ticks to them as 50% so if I have 4 non beacon targets ef on them they will heal tank for like 5-9k a sec x how many ever efs are out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]