BM hunter 5.0.4 rotation

Haven't played as BM since burning crusade. I have no clue what I'm doing?

Anyone have a basic rotation for raiding/PvE? I'm pulling around 25k ish as marks during raids, mainly due to my crappy gear. Switching over to BM I'm pulling around 10k on dummies.
Reply Quote
19 Orc Warrior
Assume you took Dire Beast and Lynx Rush, although any of the other talents would work OK except maybe Thrill of the Hunt.

If you don't use key or mouse binds, line up the following abilities on an action bar in the order listed. This is your priority of attacks.

Open with Hunters Mark. I recommend the Marked for Death glyph so you can ignore Hunters Mark which can be a hassle as you cycle through targets.

Next Serpent Sting, then forget about it. Cobra Shot should refresh it for the rest of the fight.

Kill Command next.

Kill Shot when target health drops to < 20%.

(Optional) Focus Fire when your pet gets 5 stacks of Frenzy. There are two issues here. First, you will be using Bestial Wrath frequently where the Frenzy stack should be left on the pet. This makes FF a real pain to manage. Second, the haste buff on you is partially offset by the DPS loss on the pet, so the overal DPS increase if you manage it perfectly is small. Most people can ignore FF and never miss is DPS.

Arcane Shot if your focus >= 60 or if Thrill of the Hunt procced (if you took that talent.)

Cobra Shot when nothing else is available.

Just scan along the action bar from Kill Command to Cobra Shot and press whatever is ready.

Cool Downs:

Line up Bestial Wrath, Rapid Fire, Dire Beast, Lynx Rush and Readiness.

Scan from Bestial Wrath to Lynx Rush and press whatever is ready to go. The press Readiness if it is off cooldown.

Do NOT stack these cooldowns. In other words, wait until the effect of a cool down expires before looking for another one to use.

Additional Stuff to Consider:

Set the tank as your focus and have a macro /cast [@focus] Misdirection. Use it at the start of an encounter.

Periodically peek at the health of your pet and hit the Mend Pet button as needed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
HEY,thrill of the hunt works awesomely,it procs alot for me so i ussually keep my rotations to blink strike,kill command,arcane shot till thrill of the hunt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/09/2012 11:07 PMPosted by Tiahalibel
HEY,thrill of the hunt works awesomely,it procs alot for me so i ussually keep my rotations to blink strike,kill command,arcane shot till thrill of the hunt.

It isn't as good as dire beast, especially for BM. Remember you WANT to fire cobra shot every once in awhile to refresh serpent sting.
Reply Quote
Bm has no real rotation it is more of a priority.

BW>KC>KS>BS>SS>AS>CS

Never use an external haste increase while under the effects of bestial wrath. This includes Rapid Fire, Focus fire, or any haste based trinket you may have. While under the effects of bestial wrath you should be using Kill command and arcane shot spam (but this also effects the cost of multi shot and coupled with thrill turns BM into a walking turret).

Blink Strike: I use this to help with pet pathing issues but pretty much interchangable with lynx rush/murder of crows this is more of a matter of taste.

The hardest part of BM is managing your pet up-time. Typically I stay on a target long enough to get one Kill shot off then switch targets. This prevents your pet from breaking off and running back to you.
Edited by Subjectalpha on 9/10/2012 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
09/09/2012 11:07 PMPosted by Tiahalibel

In doing quite a bit of testing on the target dummies, I have found that Dire Beast is superior to Thrill of the Hunt in DPS. It seems like three free arcane shots would be really awesome, but it turns out Dire Beast in that spot gave me a fair bit more dps than Thrill of the Hunt.
Reply Quote
19 Orc Warrior
This is turning into a nice thread on player's experiences with Beast Master.

In a recent beta thread, GC expressed a wish for theorycrafters to focus some more on the 90% solutions rather than min/max "rotations" that require crazy UI setups to operate.

(My BM and MM UI setups put on quite a light show!)

To that end, it has been my observation that Blink Strike and TotH ease the rotation management of playing a Beast Master, but Dire Beast and Lynx Rush give better DPS.

First, you can put BS/KC on a simple castsequence macro that also manages your trinkets and class ability like so:

/castsequence reset=20 Blink Strike, Kill Command, Kill Command, Kill Command
/cast Bestial Wrath
/use 13
/use 14

You press that macro when the next command is ready.
Use Arcane Shot as long as focus is 60 or greater.
Fill in with Cobra Shot.

One of the challenges with TotH is if you don't have a fancy alert monitoring the duration of Serpent Sting, it can easily expire as you are mashing your Arcane Shot button because of a couple of lucky procs of TotH. You might also miss your Kill Command cooldown.

Finally, there are a lot of players who simply do not enjoy setting up and montoring a bunch of UI alerts, or for physical reasons cannot manage multiple key or mouse action binds. Trying to do the "optimal" rotation just results in a lot of missed cooldowns, low DPS and overall frustration with the game.

A little theorycrafting shows that at current gear levels, and without hitting any focus regen cooldowns, one needs about 3 Cobra Shots per Arcane Shot to sustain a rotation that hits Kill Command on every cooldown.

By balancing focus regen with something like TotH, that number is closer to 3 Cobra Shots per 2 Arcane Shots. Using this info, it is possible to create a castsequence macro that does 85% to 90% of the DPS of a well executed manual priority rotation.

For example:

/castsequence reset=20 Blink Strike,Kill Command,Arcane Shot,Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot,Kill Command,Cobra Shot,Cobra Shot,Kill Command,Arcane Shot,Cobra Shot
/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Rapid Fire
/cast Blood Fury
/use 13
/use 14
/startattack

Occasionally, you will focus cap, and even rarer you might have to wait GCD or two for focus to catch up if you got unlucky with TotH procs. As your haste values change, you might have to add of detract Cobra Shots and Arcane shots here and there as you gear up in MoP.

This macro is not going to earn you a spot in a top progression guild, but it does
allow you to reliably execute your main rotation with one button. Just make sure you open with hunters mark if unglyphed, and serpent sting. The only cooldown you need to monitor is Readiness.
Edited by Zangre on 9/10/2012 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Do not cast sequence your dps rofl.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Occasionally, you will focus cap, and even rarer you might have to wait GCD or two for focus to catch up

This is exactly why you should never use /castsequence macros, capping or having to wait for a GCD to reset is just a DPS loss.
Reply Quote
19 Orc Warrior
09/10/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Guntor

Despite numerous caveats and warnings that one will sacrifice DPS, there is always some eBully who still feels compelled to make a non-constructive post.

It is time for members to stand up to this nonsense and take back the forums. Click dislike on his post and report him for trolling.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Hunter
09/10/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Guntor
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Despite numerous caveats and warnings that one will sacrifice DPS, there is always some eBully who still feels compelled to make a non-constructive post.

It is time for members to stand up to this nonsense and take back the forums. Click dislike on his post and report him for trolling.

So by standing up to non-constructive posts you make a non-constructive post complaining about it.

Makes sense.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

So by standing up to non-constructive posts you make a non-constructive post complaining about it.

Makes sense.

This.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
There actually was a time, back in BC when hunters had to macro their shots, but that all changed with Wrath.

However, I would like to get back to the discussion. Pet pathing issues aside, is there any reason why blink strike/thrill of the hunt would be superior to dire beast/lynx rush?
Reply Quote
There is a really good discussion about those two tiers of abilities going here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413264613

From what I have seen direbeast pulls ahead of its respective tier, and Lynx Rush seems to pull ahead in its tier as well.
Edited by Subjectalpha on 9/10/2012 3:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Orc Warrior
Dire Beast does damage as well as focus regen, so it appears to add more to overall DPS than Fervor or TotH. I think Simcraft sees it this way too, although one still needs to exercise some caution as there are still a few things off with its simulation.

Blink Strike scales better than Lynx Rush, but Lynx Rush benefits more from Readiness. So which is better depends a bit on the length of the encounter.

I have not tested Murder of Crows.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/10/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Kyetah
is there any reason why blink strike/thrill of the hunt would be superior to dire beast/lynx rush?

Certain scenarios where your dire beast would die comes to mind. There are encounters with mechanics that would kill it, so carry a stack of dust with you at all times imo.
Reply Quote
87 Goblin Death Knight
Hi I'm currently running 2 macros. A focus dump/TotH proc:
#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=target Serpent Sting, null
/petattack
/cast Arcane Shot
/cast Kill Command
/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Intimidation
/cast Rapid Fire
/cast Blink Strike

And a Focus gain macro:
#showtooltip
/petattack
/cast cobra shot
/cast Kill Command
/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Intimidation
/cast Blink Strike

1st macro is used on opening/above 65% focus, second macro is used below 60% focus. If TotH procs (power auras icon for it in my case) i use the dump macro for the 3 arcane.

In my case both macros do cast blink strike and kill command on cooldown with no problem, use all cooldowns included. it reduces my keys basically to dump, gain, kill shot, cooldowns.

Now my question is is there any way to improve these macros ( i know i cant weave kill shot into them) and also once i hit 90 (89 atm) which of the talents is better suited and could it be weaved into one of these macros without using a cast sequence?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
And a Focus gain macro:
#showtooltip
/petattack
/cast cobra shot
/cast Kill Command
/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Intimidation
/cast Blink Strike

How do you make this macro prefer to use kill command over cobra shot when it is off cooldown? I've tried it, and it seems rather inconsistent. The first cast seems to always be a steady shot(because I haven't learned cobra yet), and only on the second button press will it use KC. However, if I don't mash the hell out of the button towards the end of the steady shot cast, it just casts another steady shot. Any ideas?

EDIT: I think I sort of figured it out. It's a latency issue. I adjusted the Custom Lag Tolerance up to about 350ms and it needs significantly less button mashing to register the Kill Command. Hooray!
Edited by Animalfriend on 10/25/2012 10:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]