Wands not viable for demonology main hand?

90 Undead Warlock
Since 5.0.4 my wand http://www.wowhead.com/item=77216/finger-of-zonozz has become a pretty good mainhand weapon, but if i use it my auto attack (low damage shadowbolt spam) doesnt work. Can anyone confirm if this is intentional or a bug?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Why are you auto attacking is my question.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
09/10/2012 02:28 AMPosted by Soulre

When you use Touch of Chaos, it acts as a melee attack, despite being at range. Thus, it starts your auto attack.

I'm not sure if there is a way to stop this, but I'd like to know, because it forces me to always stay mobile when I ToC spam
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
09/10/2012 02:28 AMPosted by Soulre

im not... it acts in the same way a hunter has auto attack in between chosen attacks... its a slight increase in dps.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
09/10/2012 02:57 AMPosted by Yeanahswt

im not... it acts in the same way a hunter has auto attack in between chosen attacks... its a slight increase in dps.

It would be if wands didnt activate a GCD. effectively, it throttles dps
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Wands themselves don't fire when you autoattack.

You have to right-click the thing before the wand fires, and it only does it until you cast something. Then it stops until you right-click again.

The wand, like any of our weapons, is there for its stats. Its stats have been adjusted to be equivalent to any other 1-hand weapon of its item level. In other words, yes it's viable. I would say it's as viable as any dagger of the same ilvl, but there isn't one (except the one with spirit).

There is no offhand over item level 378 without spirit on it though, so lightning rod is still better. *Dragonfire Orb does not exist*
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
can they not alter the wand so that in demonform it performs in the same manner as a staff or dagger?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
It does perform in the same manner as a staff or dagger. If you right-click, you will use your weapon to hit the target. For us, it does pitiful damage and we stop hitting with our weapon the moment we cast anything.

If you have a wand, you will fire your wand. If you have a dagger, you will stab with your dagger. If you have a staff, you will thwack it with your staff. All of that is pointless and it makes no difference which useless weapon you're trying to use on your target.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
It does perform in the same manner as a staff or dagger. If you right-click, you will use your weapon to hit the target. For us, it does pitiful damage and we stop hitting with our weapon the moment we cast anything.

If you have a wand, you will fire your wand. If you have a dagger, you will stab with your dagger. If you have a staff, you will thwack it with your staff. All of that is pointless and it makes no difference which useless weapon you're trying to use on your target.

It's not pitiful. With a staff in metamorphosis I attack about twice per second for 1.5-2k damage, from 40 yards, while casting. It does not interrupt and is not interrupted by soul fire or touch of chaos. With a wand, this attack just doesn't happen, which is a significant DPS loss.
Edited by Moeru on 9/10/2012 5:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i have a feeling Jjlock is confusing the wand auto attack and the demon form auto attack.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
09/10/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Adamishereto
i have a feeling Jjlock is confusing the wand auto attack and the demon form auto attack.

I have a feeling everyone else is confusing the wand auto attack and the demon form auto attack.

If you have a wand equipped and you right-click the target, you will start auto attacking with your wand. This does pitiful damage. Go try it on a dummy.

If you have a staff equipped and you right-click the target, you will start auto attacking by hitting it with your staff. This also does pitiful damage. Go try it on a dummy (unless you're out of melee range).

If you cast anything, you will stop auto attacking with your weapon until you right-click again. Go try it on a dummy.

The demon form auto attack is different and there isn't a way to purposely start and stop doing it other than entering and exiting combat. It just happens.

The weapon you have equipped can be used to deal damage, but you have to make it do that and there is no reason to ever use your weapon for damage so it doesn't matter which weapon you use.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Anyone else think Jjlock still doesnt know what he is talking about?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
09/10/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Ryathen
Anyone else think Jjlock still doesnt know what he is talking about?

^ this

Our demon form auto attacks are low damage shadowbolt volley that begin when you engage the target with an attack, it has a 40yard range and is a nice minor dps increase. Currently staffs and daggers allow this auto attack (and even having no weapons equipped allow this auto attack) but if you equip a wand you are stuck with the shoot attack which has a global cooldown and requires you to be a turret, which no one would ever use.

So what I am saying is, can the wand be modified to give the same effects as a staff or dagger in our demon forms
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
ah great, it is going to be fixed

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413023639
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
09/10/2012 03:56 PMPosted by Jjlock

I have a feeling everyone else is confusing the wand auto attack and the demon form auto attack.

The issue is when in demon form, the spell touch of chaos (as mentioned before) will activate your wand attack, no right click needed. Wands, unlike other weapons, will cause a 1.5 second GCD when they cast. This also happens in DA form with demonic slash.

No one is confused but you man.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
OMG I was confused. Ha.

I feel stupid now.

*hangs head in shame*
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
OMG I was confused. Ha.

I feel stupid now.

*hangs head in shame*

/pat

the punting line is over that way --->
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
09/10/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Yeanahswt
ah great, it is going to be fixed

I read the link you gave and it does not say anything about the bug in this topic. This is about demon form chaos bolt being turned off when a wand is equipped, not about melee attacks being disabled when a wand is equipped.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I was using that wand and demo, I don't rememeber having this problem... >.>
Reply Quote
True on that, I thought it was some sort of maintenance bug, glad to see I wasn't going crazy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]