5.0 Hunter Feedback for Blizzard :)

90 Goblin Hunter
Honestly I think the new trap launcher is a perfect example of "bandaid fix."

If they'd removed focus cost and GCD from the old trap launcher, it would've been perfect.

09/11/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Melubyou
6. Oh right. Please change/get rid of EMFHS.
Edited by Xeloda on 9/11/2012 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter

Obviously not, but they did say they wanted to help with the clunkiness of our traps. I think the new TL made it worse for people who frequently launch AND lay traps, but better for people who only launch, which I'm assuming is the majority of hunters.

Exactly, and the sad thing is, in PvP anyway......only launching traps is the wrong way to do it. It's inefficient, it's worse, it's just a fact in PvP (maybe not pve but ya...).

Encouraging subpar, inefficient play, and punishing playing the right way seems pretty dumb, even if the majority does it that way. Should encourage the majority to improve rather than encouraging them to stay where they are.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter

It is fun, but it is also clunky, due to the arming timer. It is hard to control, a lot of it working well is simply chance, unlike every other knockback in the game.

Yeah but I think this does add a layer of skill to the ability as well. Although there's some latency issues with it's arming time and you can get screwed by luck, if it were 22 (SV) or 28 second cooldown controlled knockback like Thunderstorm, people would get fed up very fast. 28 sec CD controlled knockback is way too good.

I think the trap dynamic adds a layer of skill, balance, and fun to it. I love when a healer is on the low ground of Blade's Edge or Dalaran steps, and I will preemptively place the trap on the stairs/ramp, so when they get LoS of their teammate and try to run up, they get blasted back, without me having to worry about staying in position to do it myself.

It's really fun and I'm pleased with it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
09/11/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Eponine
For example, say Kill Shot did 2000 damage now non-crit (arbitrary number used for illustration). Instead of 2 Kill Shots for 4,000/8,000(crit) damage, you would have 1 Kill Shot for 2,400/4,800(crit) damage, and a healing absorb worth 1,000 points of healing.

Well that would be a PVE nerf. I know this thread is for PVP feedback, but we still have to keep the other aspect of the game in mind.

And I don't really think 1 kill shot with double the damage would be too powerful, considering the current damage of execute, SWD, etc.

Have to say I agree. Although I don't personally dislike the double killshot system, besides the fact that it always seemed to bug with absorbs (not sure if it still does?), with how powerful other executes are it seems fair.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
09/11/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Eponine
Encouraging subpar, inefficient play, and punishing playing the right way seems pretty dumb, even if the majority does it that way. Should encourage the majority to improve rather than encouraging them to stay where they are.

I do understand that the perceived "clunkiness" of the old TL was a major complaint from many hunters, and that they wanted to address that, but I think this was the wrong direction. So what would you suggest as an improvement from both versions of TL?

Revert to old, but no GCD and/or focus cost?

Yes ;) The old Trap Launcher was great besides the focus cost/global issue. I would cry tears of joy if they changed it back minus those 2 issues.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter

That said, primarily due to the redesign of Readiness, MM has lost a lot of its spec identity for me. This might change at 90, but my experiences over the past two weeks have not been great. The spec just doesn't feel right. Yes, I realize this is primarily a PvP thread; yes, most of my experiences are on a training dummy. I just feel that something is lacking for the spec as a whole. I'd, obviously, like to see something done that is both a PvP and a PvE buff.

Yeah, I don't know if this would be too powerful, but maybe MM Specialization should offer -2 minutes from the Readiness cooldown as it's "unique utility" gain. I don't know if this would make it hands down the best pvp spec (doubtful, the other utilities are still good), but it's definitely a change I would favor greatly. Readiness is the reason I enjoy Hunter, period. I've never liked SV/BM very much even in prior expansions.

The skill cap on using Readiness effectively/efficiently is extremely high, it's a game deciding ability a lot of the time. If they took Readiness out of the game, I would probably stop playing Hunter entirely.

Giving the 3 minute version back to MM would be enough to "unique utility" by itself that I wouldn't ask for anything else (like conc shot glyph baked into the spec or any other suggested things).
Edited by Rykinia on 9/11/2012 12:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
On trap launcher, the best workaround I've found for the current system is to use a macro that says:

/cast !Trap Launcher
/castsequence reset=5 Scatter Shot, Freezing Trap

when I want to scatter trap something I just press that macro twice. I'm pretty pleased with how quickly I can scatter trap something with that macro.

I then place /cancelaura Trap Launcher in basically every other macro I have so I can just drop regular traps in other situations. I also have a separate explosive trap launcher macro - /castsequence reset=5 Trap Launcher, Explosive Trap.

Works pretty well with those macros.
Edited by Kellani on 9/11/2012 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh one more thing -

So our pets were really squishy for the week after the patch, and then they hotfixed them to have 170% armor. I've only done a handful of bgs/wargames so far, not enough to tell if the armor buff actually helped with the issue. If I'm not mistaken I believe pets' baseline resistances were removed, so they're still taking tons of damage from spells.

Wizard cleaves seem like the strongest comps in MoP to me, and I'm really wondering how viable BM will be when it occurs to them to target the pet first. Extra armor doesn't help at all against wizards.

Tosan, have you seen high-level pvpers trying a "kill the pet" strategy against BM hunters, and, if so, how well did it work?

This issue could by itself make MM/SV the top arena specs by default. If worse comes to worse, MM/SV can always abandon their pets with scripts, but BM hunters obviously can't abandon their spirit beasts and go tame another one.

I guess BM could always use monkeys as well and abandon those if they get killed. Normally, I think abandoning pets is really cheesy, but all bets are off if Blizzard doesn't give them the tools they need to survive. Then abandon away as far as I'm concerned.
Edited by Kellani on 9/11/2012 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
BRAVO to this thread and those adding to it. It is so refreshing to read a thread with people suggesting ways to improve their class rather than screaming for the nerfing of other OP classes. Great read!!
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Oh one more thing -

So our pets were really squishy for the week after the patch, and then they hotfixed them to have 170% armor. I've only done a handful of bgs/wargames so far, not enough to tell if the armor buff actually helped with the issue. If I'm not mistaken I believe pets' baseline resistances were removed, so they're still taking tons of damage from spells.

Yeah pets die extremely easily, also they don't seem to summon into the next game with full HP. I keep going into wargames, after using my buff pets I call my monkey and it's at 50% hp, really obnoxious. It seems to get owned by accidental aoe damage (like living bomb exploding).
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Oh one more thing -

Wizard cleaves seem like the strongest comps in MoP to me, and I'm really wondering how viable BM will be when it occurs to them to target the pet first. Extra armor doesn't help at all against wizards.

Tosan, have you seen high-level pvpers trying a "kill the pet" strategy against BM hunters, and, if so, how well did it work?

This issue could by itself make MM/SV the top arena specs by default. If worse comes to worse, MM/SV can always abandon their pets with scripts, but BM hunters obviously can't abandon their spirit beasts and go tame another one.

I guess BM could always use monkeys as well and abandon those if they get killed. Normally, I think abandoning pets is really cheesy, but all bets are off if Blizzard doesn't give them the tools they need to survive. Then abandon away as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't seen this happen too much yet, as I haven't played BM in arena much myself. But my monkeys definitely die to accidental aoe damage it seems, and if they choose to focus my monkey it can certainly fall fast - the 20% damage share from Roar of Sacrifice doesn't help either hehe.

I'm sure they'll do something about pet survivability in MoP (I haven't played beta so maybe it's only an issue in 5.0?) though, because as it is now pets are a liability in some match ups/situations.
Edited by Rykinia on 9/11/2012 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Yeah pets die extremely easily, also they don't seem to summon into the next game with full HP. I keep going into wargames, after using my buff pets I call my monkey and it's at 50% hp, really obnoxious. It seems to get owned by accidental aoe damage (like living bomb exploding).

Pets no longer reset their stats when dismissed. Their stats are saved, so that when you recall a pet, it is in the exact same state as when you dismissed it. Your post doesn't contain enough context for me to determine if what you're experiencing is a bug or intended behavior. That is, what was the state your pet when it was dismissed? If your pets randomly come out with less than full stats, even though you are certain they were not dismissed that way, that could be a bug. If you're dismissing your pet in the middle of a battle, you're experience probably isn't a bug.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
09/11/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Adarant

Pets no longer reset their stats when dismissed. Their stats are saved, so that when you recall a pet, it is in the exact same state as when you dismissed it. Your post doesn't contain enough context for me to determine if what you're experiencing is a bug or intended behavior. That is, what was the state your pet when it was dismissed? If your pets randomly come out with less than full stats, even though you are certain they were not dismissed that way, that could be a bug. If you're dismissing your pet in the middle of a battle, you're experience probably isn't a bug.

No I'm pretty sure it's intended and from the previous battle where I dismissed a 50% hp pet, but they should get healed when joining a new match or exiting a match. It's really obnoxious to have to cycle through and heal all of my pets like a damn pokemon hospital every game.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
ty ty ty for putting the aspects back on a sepreate global
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

Yeah, I don't know if this would be too powerful, but maybe MM Specialization should offer -2 minutes from the Readiness cooldown as it's "unique utility" gain. I don't know if this would make it hands down the best pvp spec (doubtful, the other utilities are still good), but it's definitely a change I would favor greatly. Readiness is the reason I enjoy Hunter, period. I've never liked SV/BM very much even in prior expansions.

I like the idea, but would much rather have MFD & conc glyph baked in. 3 min on readi is definitely something I miss, and I'm definitely more hesitant than I was to pop that 3 min cd now...which is a shame, because you can bait some awesome things with mirrored bladesx2...but the slow from glyphed conc + mfd just seems to fit so much better with a spec focused more around your ranged weapon attacks - plus the extra glyph slot would be a godsend.

Between ET, MC, MB, MFD, Disengage, CS, and Camo, there are just too many goodies available.
Reply Quote
With regard to the new trap launcher, I've mentioned this before - why doesn't Blizzard add a box we can check in the options menu that makes it so we can a) choose to have the trap launcher be always on or always off (the current iteration), or b) choose to have it de-activate after launching (the previous iteration).

Blizzard gave us the option to turn off autoshot when switching targets, so I don't see why it can't do something similar with the trap launcher.
Edited by Cobayne on 9/12/2012 4:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
With regard to the new trap launcher, I've mentioned this before - why doesn't Blizzard add a box we can check in the options menu that makes it so we can a) choose to have the trap launcher be always on or always off (the current iteration), or b) choose to have it de-activate after launching (the previous iteration).

Blizzard gave us the option to turn off autoshot when switching targets, so I don't see why it can't do something similar with the trap launcher.

That's a good idea, would love this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]