Resto Shaman or Resto Druid for MoP?

1 Undead Priest
I have both, can't decide which I want to be my main. Help!
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
If you want to raid heal go druid. Shaman spread healing in 10m is non-existent outside the RT glyph and when its glyphed heals half of what rejuv heals for but for the same cost. Shaman also lack a personal mana cooldown and they lack a single target tank timer.

Shaman are good at stacked healing.
Reply Quote
95 Dwarf Shaman
If you want to raid heal go druid. Shaman spread healing in 10m is non-existent outside the RT glyph and when its glyphed heals half of what rejuv heals for but for the same cost. Shaman also lack a personal mana cooldown and they lack a single target tank timer.

What? Are you serious? I use both to raid heal and since 5.x Shaman AoE healing has gone so crazy I am worried about a nerf bat coming.

We have 2 AoE healz with 40 yard range one on 30 sec timer (15 sec uptime). Every 3 minutes I can drop a totem that basically makes the group impervious to damage (with high mastery). We have glpyh to make chain heal a little more effective on fights where people spread. Our mana regen is really good. We have awesome single target heals.

I love playing both...if you like hots go druid if not play shaman. I do like the new totem system for the record.
Edited by Sulphur on 9/10/2012 11:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
What? Are you serious? I use both to raid heal and since 5.x Shaman AoE healing has gone so crazy I am worried about a nerf bat coming.

We have 2 AoE healz with 40 yard range one on 30 sec timer (15 sec uptime). Every 3 minutes I can drop a totem that basically makes the group impervious to damage (with high mastery). We have glpyh to make chain heal a little more effective on fights where people spread. Our mana regen is really good. We have awesome single target heals.

I love playing both...if you like hots go druid if not play shaman. I do like the new totem system for the record.

Are you serious? You think every fight in Pandaland is going to be tailored to shaman like DS was? When people spread out shaman are the worst raid healer by a large margin.

We don't have a spammable AoE heal that goes past 12.5yd in range without glyphing RT and its not really an AoE heal as much as a single target heal that can be used for spread healing. HST is not an AoE heal. Its a smart heal that individually heals people.

We don't have a totem that can make a group impervious to damage, you are full of crap. SLT is only 10% damage reduction and it redistributes the raid's health. There is no immunity or healing provided by the totem itself which mean that mastery does not come into play.

The glyph of chaining makes CH LESS effective, not more. It puts a hefty cooldown on an ability that already has a 2.5 second cast time. When you need to use CH, you need to use it more than once, this glyph prevents that.

Shaman regen at 90 was bottom of the barrel. Its not good or even satisfactory, it sucks. Our single target heals are decent for certain but not the best though probably better than druid's.
Reply Quote
89 Goblin Shaman

Glyph of chaining is horrible. I have no idea what 2 AOE heals you are speaking of that have a 40 yard range. If perchance you mean HST and HTT. Healing Stream Totem is now single target healing and Healing Tide Totem is a raid cooldown not a heal. Impervious to damage? What the heck is that? Mana regen is probably a little low still but getting better on beta. The first raids in MoP are spread/movement fights and druids will shine.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
We don't have a totem that can make a group impervious to damage, you are full of crap. SLT is only 10% damage reduction and it redistributes the raid's health. There is no immunity or healing provided by the totem itself which mean that mastery does not come into play.

Healing Tide Totem bb. Shamans are in the best spot they've ever been and we'll be competitive all through mop.

Also it's obvious you haven't seen any MoP fights, because almost every one of them involves stacking up at one point.
Edited by Kennyloggins on 9/11/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
09/11/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Kennyloggins
Healing Tide Totem bb. Shamans are in the best spot they've ever been and we'll be competitive all through mop.

How does HTT make a raid impervious? It heals damage. It has no immunity. Either you don't know the definition of impervious or you are stupid. I think its both.

Shaman are in one of the worst spots they've ever been and will not be competitive with other specs on spread raid healing in 10m. I didn't level to 90 in beta though I have read tons and tons of feedback. While I do think our stacked healing is great, its no substitution for non-existent spread healing. I would rather bring someone that could do both satisfactorily than a spec that can do one thing really well and is completely dysfunctional in another area which is what shaman are.

Resto shaman will be the worst choice for spread raid healing in 10m which makes them a poor choice overall.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC
Kenny, no. Just stop.
Reply Quote
Shaman are fuuuun, and druids are a more work. GCD management anyone? I honestly like healing 5mans with my shaman more. particularly with riptide having no CD, and the new HST. Also, GHW bombs are THE BOMB when targets are at low health.

BUT - a well played druid, in raid will amlost alway be more effective than a shammy. great toolbox, great for high movement fights. also good for stack phases, but not ONLY good at stack phase...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I love druid healing but my shaman just as that "at home" feel.

Thats all i have to say.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Shaman
Hard to say right now. Both are more viable than they were at Cata launch, and no one will turn you away if you know what you are doing on either class, like it should be.

I can't really say I'm happy with Shaman right now though. Our Totems feel about half finished (some very powerful, some not worth using, and a clunky U.I. to make the situational ones irritating to use). but if you haven't played Shaman very much or don't mind the difference you probably won't be bothered. I'm not happy with a lot of our talent tiers (a few are downright useless and most tiers are imbalanced) but that isn't exclusive to Shaman either. Finally, I find our Glyphs to be lacking at best and desperately hope that Blizzard gives them the overhaul they mentioned months ago.

Shaman excels at what it excels at (stack healing) and is a very powerful single target healer even if they lack a tank CD, but isn't as well rounded as I'd like as a result (which is weird considering they were considered floaters an expansion ago) due to mana concerns, poor spread healing options and no tank CD (to make tank healing shifty on progressive content), but the class overall has received some significant work, just not in all the right areas imo. They bring some unique buff combinations, have lots of situational unity (that may or may not matter) and are fun to mess around with at least.

Druid seems in a better place going into MoP for me, but not all is sunshine. Like Shaman, many of their Talent Tiers are imbalanced or mediocre, and while they are far better at spread healing, their single target healing is pretty paltry if you aren't using one of their (admittedly short) CDs like Swiftmend. Their mobility and spread healing are so good in fact that they are the polar opposite of Shaman in that regard, which allows them to be more adaptable and reliable in more situations, although they don't "shine" in many of them and a Shaman will see far bigger green numbers (though who wins in HPS at the end is up in the air right now). Their mana is also less worrisome, though all healer mana is going to be tight for awhile so you can't go crazy.

Their specialty is HoTs so they are pretty low on the mitigation aspect, so keep that in mind, and even though they received a tank CD you won't be asked to do that often, since their burst healing is mediocre (WM: Bloom is pretty terrible after the nerf and was supposed to fix that burst problem, maybe it will be improved at some point). Glyphs are miles better than anything Shaman has though, so there is that too.

TL:DR just pick what you like best. :)
Edited by Gumshoe on 9/11/2012 11:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Pick the one you like. Unless you're on the bleeding edge of progression, I doubt it would matter a whole lot.

I have all the healing classes and at the moment my pally is my baby and my priest is the evil step-child. (I know priests are good, but *I* don’t particularly like that play style)

I might change my mind in a few weeks and that's ok too. It's part of the fun of playing WOW.
Edited by Cyliia on 9/12/2012 9:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
Pick the one you like. Unless you're on the bleeding edge of progression, I doubt it would matter a whole lot.

I have all the healing classes and at the moment my pally is my baby and my priest is the evil step-child. (I know priests are good, but *I* don’t particularly like that play style)

I might change my mind in a few weeks and that's ok too. It's part of the fun of playing WOW.

I would agree with this if shaman had some sort of spread healing. Right now shaman are forced to use the RT glyph just to spread heal. No other healer besides shaman is 100% deficient in a specific area and have a glyph forced on them just to become the worst in that area.
Reply Quote
95 Dwarf Shaman

How does HTT make a raid impervious? It heals damage. It has no immunity. Either you don't know the definition of impervious or you are stupid. I think its both.

Shaman are in one of the worst spots they've ever been and will not be competitive with other specs on spread raid healing in 10m. I didn't level to 90 in beta though I have read tons and tons of feedback. While I do think our stacked healing is great, its no substitution for non-existent spread healing. I would rather bring someone that could do both satisfactorily than a spec that can do one thing really well and is completely dysfunctional in another area which is what shaman are.

Resto shaman will be the worst choice for spread raid healing in 10m which makes them a poor choice overall.

For the record I said "basically impervious" I was exaggerating a little and did not mean it in the literal sense (taugh crowd). HTT even with the 3 min cooldown was my #2 heal on h.blackhorn from its massive healing. It is a huge improvement to our toolkit. I did not beta test the expansion so I cannot comment on those fights but I have raided a few times (with both Shaman and Druid) since 5.0 came out and I like the Shaman changes.

To say Shaman cannot raid heal is just wrong. Yes, on some fights where people are spread out or have to move all the time other classes may have an easier time of it but it doesn't mean that Shaman cannot heal.

This thread has got way off topic. To the OP -- they both can do the job -- personally, I change between the two classes all the time and the best advice is to pick the one you enjoy playing the most.
Edited by Sulphur on 9/13/2012 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Do you like being a reindeer or a wolf?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Shaman, totemic restoration is amazing when you know how and when to cut your HTT short since sometimes it's not needed for the entire duration. If a fight only requires 5s of HTT, you can basically cut the CD by half so you can use it again after a minute and a half. This type of control over your CDs is going to be really fun to use as a Shaman. Also, if you glyph for it, you can get mana free HST heals by recalling it before it expires, saves you about 4% mana.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Shaman excels at what it excels at (stack healing) and is a very powerful single target healer even if they lack a tank CD, but isn't as well rounded as I'd like as a result (which is weird considering they were considered floaters an expansion ago) due to mana concerns, poor spread healing options and no tank CD (to make tank healing shifty on progressive content), but the class overall has received some significant work, just not in all the right areas imo.

I promise i am not trolling here, but you will have mana issues when you reforge out of spirit and into haste.

More heals with less mana regen?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For PvP do y'all prefer druids or shamans? Seems like most of this is from a PvE perspective..
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

This, all the healers are usually good unless you are on the bleeding edge. The player and the knowledge/skill with the class/spec usually means a lot more than the choice of class itself.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]