Are Mages too strong?

90 Human Mage
I've been playing this mage for most of Cataclysm. I've been looking forward to playing mostly something else in Mists. Perhaps my Warlock, or my Hunter, or something.

The problem is, I'm not sure I can justify not playing the Mage. With 5.0.4, Mages are just so damn powerful. Their kit is so damn versatile compared to most other classes.

My Warlock can kill things, sure. But the kit of a Warlock is... restricted. Spammable Fear, yeah, sure. Shadowfury, or another talent in that row. Spell Lock, a wimpier version of Counterspell.

But Mages... OMFG. Spammable Polymorph. Frost Nova. Dragon's Breath. Counterspell. Frostjaw. Deep Freeze. Blink to get out of stuns. And the new Combustion with a built-in stun!

On top of that, just to make sure people can't actually damage you, a nice Ice Barrier that absorbs for 40% health every 25 secs.

I mean... what the...?

I'm saying this as someone who's mained a Mage, and who's played both my Warlock, and my Mage, in many battlegrounds since 5.0.4.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun playing my Warlock! I was successful with it.

But when I tried my Mage... it just seems to be in a whole category above that. So... much... control... and so many ways to get out of things!

Is it like that only in 5.0.4, or are Mages going to be equally stupid OP at level 90?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I agree completely. In cata my fire mage was my main but I have been switching over to this lock because I don't have fun anymore. I like when a fight involved me and the other guy just barely surviving and I managed the kill. Alter time isn't in the game yet either..

Don't even get me started with frost mages, I refuse to touch that spec.
Edited by Lerajie on 9/9/2012 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I can say with confidence, mages are going to be just as strong at 90.

Even if their damage relative to total HP may change at 90, the 5 levels between then and now will not diminish their toolkit for survivability, and control; they'll only get more.

An indicator of how strong mages are? Any decent mage not shut down nearly 100% of the time ruins a pvp encounter because of their control.
Edited by Shiraha on 9/9/2012 10:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Fire and frost Mages are up there with bm hutners, massive damage, with it being easy to put said damage into effect.

Rank one mage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vTcC-7Jfk8 4:22 for lols

watch some of his other movies as well.
Edited by Ithkuil on 9/9/2012 11:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Mages are the class you can be stupid OP and not really have to worry if blizzard will nerf you. They won't.

If you're looking for OP, they are the way to go. They make SL/SL locks of TBC look like shaman
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
09/09/2012 07:09 PMPosted by Elodeon
Is it like that only in 5.0.4, or are Mages going to be equally stupid OP at level 90?

Are you new to the game? I only ask because things get wildly out of balance with every pre-xpac patch so not sure why this time should come as a big surprise to you.

09/10/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Gumble
They make SL/SL locks of TBC look like shaman

Oh geez. Hyperbole much?
Edited by Glítch on 9/10/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
How many classes are making 1v2 level 90 arena videos?

Mages

How many classes can take half your health away at level 90 in one shatter combo?

Mages

How many classes can nearly global someone, even at 90?

Mages

SL/SL locks were tough, but mages defending how strong they are right now is kinda amusing. We know blizzard won't do anything about it since they are the favored pet class of the developers, but its still amusing watching them defend it.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
09/10/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Gumble
How many classes are making 1v2 level 90 arena videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHH_IF3KKMQ - lvl 90 arms warrior 1v2 arena.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jbPdIdkTUw - lvl 90 ret pally going 6-0 doing 1v2 arena.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJp_zz4q0vQ&feature=relmfu - lvl 90 warrior doing over 300k to a lock during a duel.

ZOMG the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
SL\SL

What they say happened: Lock could blow up entire battle ground and tank a raid.

What really happened: Lock killed someone while tanking 2 others.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
From what I saw last night...yeah mages are to strong. I am going out on a limb and saying that Fire is the new "it"? I saw a bunch of ice barriers but all the mages were casting fire spells, and melting people with combustion.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
It's really just fire's synergy with shatter/deep freeze that makes it silly, combined with the new dispel system. If you cleanse a poly on someone, you are then hosed if the mage deeps someone in the next 8 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Atm as it stands mages in mop almost equal to DK's in S5

Tried some wargames with some classes and right now mages are so broken.
Edited by Cherep on 9/10/2012 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Undead Rogue
My question is why was shatter even allowed to stay in the game when other crit talents didn't? Seems bogus to me that lethality and puncturing wounds which were in the game since vanilla had to go for dagger rogues but shatter gets to stay.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Critical Mass Passive
Multiplies the critical strike chance of your Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, Pyroblast, and Scorch by 1.5.

Its even worse when you factor in that with

Shatter Passive
Doubles the critical strike chance of all your spells against frozen targets plus an additional 50%.

So.... to get 100% crit chance on a target a fire mage has to freeze them (which deep freeze makes alot easier) and have.

100 = 1.5 * 2 * X + 50
X = 16.6666

16% crit chance = 100% crit for a fire mage.......

Sub rogues who lost all their crit must feel SO pleased.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]