Are Mages too strong?

89 Troll Mage
I can say with confidence, mages are going to be just as strong at 90.

Even if their damage relative to total HP may change at 90, the 5 levels between then and now will not diminish their toolkit for survivability, and control; they'll only get more.

An indicator of how strong mages are? Any decent mage not shut down nearly 100% of the time ruins a pvp encounter because of their control.
lol give me a full cata geared healer an im that guy:)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
You guys sure like to rage about things you don't understand.. Enjoy your strawman argument.
Reply Quote
I try not to QQ but Fire Mages are out of control. Way to much damage, control and survivability. I agree that all Hybrids need their healing toned down but seriously Fire mages need to lose Ice Barrier and Deep Freeze and Spellsteal needs looked at.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
mages too strong

water still wet

pope still wearing a big hat
Reply Quote
Mages have for a very long time been a strong class, with many tools/ utilities, cc abilities and both good burst and sustained damage, playing a mage both in pvp and pve is beneficial and they remain strong in the current patch as well, end of the day play what you enjoy most as with each patch some get stronger and some weaker.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
why would you bump this, although I do agree the best class is the one you enjoy playing
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
mages too strong

water still wet

pope still wearing a big hat
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Druid
Deleted
Edited by Mâximus on 11/6/2012 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
2 Tauren Warrior
full pvp gear on, 63ish damage reduction.

XXX-xxx Pyroblast hit You 37223 Fire. (13140 Overkill) (Critical)

seems balanced enough for an instant cast spell right?

edited names out
Edited by Onehand on 9/14/2012 3:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes, mages have gone from being OP to stupidly OP. But 90 will fix it, amirite?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Oh, and just left a Twin Peaks that had 13 mages. But I'm sure they're all out there right now because they've realized how balanced their class is and want to take advantage of a fair challenge.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/09/2012 10:24 PMPosted by Sugärdäddy
You even lift bro ?

the misc is strong in this one
Reply Quote
2 Tauren Warrior
XX Pyroblast hit You 39289 Fire. (Critical)

no cds popped, full t2 cataclysmic gear

i sure am glad thats an instant cast and no way to avoid it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
XX Pyroblast hit You 39289 Fire. (Critical)

no cds popped, full t2 cataclysmic gear

i sure am glad thats an instant cast and no way to avoid it.

It's an instant cast spell that requires you to get two fire spell crits in a row. So, you either fish for one stack of heating up, with scorch, and then cast inferno blast, or you freeze somebody to get your 2 crits.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
inforno blast>free pyro>DF free pyros> alter time > free pyro random crits mixed with this>endless rain of pyros

yep you gotta work hard to get those pyros out LOL
Edited by Evilbïtch on 9/16/2012 4:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
inforno blast>free pyro>DF free pyros> alter time > free pyro random crits mixed with this>endless rain of pyros

He's making it sound like we go around farting out instant pyro's with no setup whatsoever. If somebody happens to kill you by accidentally stringing together a bunch of crits, they got lucky. However, you do require set up to reliably get off pyroblasts. It's very easy to break the burst chain.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Inferno Blast gives 1/2 a hot streak so you're already wrong. More realistically how this will go is:

Scorch spam until you crit
Inferno Blast
Alter Time - 90 second CD
Frost Nova - 25 second CD
Deep Freeze - 30 second CD
Pyroblast
Combustion/Inferno Blast
Pyroblast
Pyroblast

That is three CDs to accomplish this and it costs them alter time which takes away one of their best defensive CDs and trades it for burst, so quit acting like a mage can strut around doing it every 10 seconds. Last time i checked other classes do alot of damage while their CDs are up but this is only mentioned to complain about mages of course. Rogues can pump multiple 40k eviscerates+20k ambushes into a full resil target during a shadow dance and i dont see people posting about that constantly.
Edited by Wyndoor on 9/16/2012 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
lol can we not pretend that it's hard to proc pyro at all, come back to reality
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
All mages have to do is lose Deep Freeze and a lot of these "mage is OP" problems go away. Either that or fire needs to lose Shatter.

Its pretty easy to kill someone, and I know if they don't trinket the Deep Freeze, they're dead. Since it'll be either A. They didn't trinket the deep freeze and take tons of damage, or B. They trinketed the Deep freeze, leaving them wide open to another one in 30 seconds + polys until then.

What you do in a deep freeze.

Nova
Deep freeze /w glyph (pretty broken by itself)
PoM
(at 87) Alter time
Pyro
If pyro crit = Inferno blast then Pyro again
If non crit or after an inferno blast (at 87) Alter time
Pyro
Combustion
Inferno blast
Pyro

And for added laughs, get a frost orb on them with Fire Blast glyph for even more obscene burst.

If I don't have Altar time or PoM (Or I picked scorch)

I scorch for the guaranteed crit
Inferno blast
Pyro
Scorch
Pyro
Combustion
Pyro
Inferno Blast
Pyro

Its so easy for a fire or a frost mage to set up their burst every 30 seconds, and punishing to the opponent if they trinket out of said burst in the first place because a mage can now freely poly them for free heals or wait until their next burst window is open in 25 seconds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]