War's rage to DKs runes.

90 Draenei Death Knight
Active Mitigation is divided into two parts - generating resources, then spending those resources on survival. Deathstrike is unique in that it is both parts rolled into one - I suspect this is the reason why DeathKnights get special treatment in having it unparryable.

Based on a post in the Beta Analysis about how they don't believe Brewmasters would be going for parry-caps, I'd hazard a guess and say Blizzard doesn't seem to intend for any tank to go for full expertise cap. It is a ridiculous amount of rating required to eliminate parries, to say the least.

and right here we have a reasonable man.

DS is "unparriable" because it IS DK's active mitigation, while for the other tanks they have skills that generate resources to use their active mitigation afterwards. It is very different how those things work in combat.

Again, most of the time (and this is one of those times), comparing tank mechanics that are completely different and asking for "equal rights" is not the best idea in the world.

oh and btw, monks will go for exp cap. Blues will realize that once all the cool kids start doing it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
09/10/2012 05:44 AMPosted by Alandrek
One of the major goals of the active mitigation system is for tanks to care about hit and expertise.

Did they actually manage this for anyone?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I am always amazed at how much everyone looks over the fence and sees greener grass.

Hey Blizz I want that sexy green grass that DKs have only none of the bad parts about DK ok? WHAT DO YOU MEAN REQUEST DENIED?!?!?!
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 07:32 AMPosted by Sildas
One of the major goals of the active mitigation system is for tanks to care about hit and expertise.

Did they actually manage this for anyone?

I will cap hit as soon as I can afford it at the expense of mastery. Is this even a serious question?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
09/10/2012 07:35 AMPosted by Gojiberry
I will cap hit as soon as I can afford it at the expense of mastery. Is this even a serious question?

Yes, it is. It's more valuable than it was previously, but it's still the bottom the hierarchy for Warriors. I'm pretty sure Druids are in a similar boat (although they may be ahead of haste). I think Paladins are similar to Warriors in stat preference.

So it's valuable for the class that gets free expertise? Weird.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Yes, it is. It's more valuable than it was previously, but it's still the bottom the hierarchy for Warriors. I'm pretty sure Druids are in a similar boat (although they may be ahead of haste). I think Paladins are similar to Warriors in stat preference.

It depends on whether the Paladin wants to minimize total damage taken by stacking avoidance, or smooth incoming damage as much as possible by reliably keeping SotR up.

For the latter, 7.5% hit and 7.5% expertise are your initial gearing priorities.

EDIT: Yes, I know Wrath's guide at EJ advocates Haste over Expertise. Depending on your current balance of stats, haste can provide more overall SotR uptime than expertise - but (as Theck points out in the same thread) expertise remains better for reliability.

So if you prefer control and reliability over taking less damage overall, hit/exp is the way to go.
Edited by Alandrek on 9/10/2012 8:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Sildas

We get 0% block if we can't land any Death Strikes so that is being factored in, I suppose. I will need my expertise as soon as I can afford it with my secondaries so that I am spell hit capped and thus I can rely on being able to activate my block mechanic with 100% certainty. There are some penalties for DK for not being spell hit capped as well, such as missing Outbreak.

It's hard to find 2 tanks more apples and oranges than DK and Warr. I suspect Warr are not going to have any issues compared to DK this coming tier so all the grass is greener sentiment is mainly wasted energy in the end. Play the class you love the most.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
09/10/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Sildas

its def valuable for monks as well.

and valuable doesn't mean best stat.
Reply Quote
I know I can get my monk to the expertise cap in the free pvp gear on beta with a little wiggle room for some haste reforging. But I had to stuff all my red sockets with expertise, my purples with hit/expertise. I think I was able to go straight haste in my yellow sockets.

I also had to use the expertise chant.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]