Tried EVERYTHING, still graphics stutter....?

90 Dwarf Warrior
Day 13 of Post-Patch game-wide graphics stutter and jerk. Day 13 of the game being unplayable. Day 13 of the MOP release date coming closer, and thousands of us won't be able to play.

Here's what I've tried so far:

In the past five days....... I have cleared my cache, changed values and settings in the WTF folder, changed registry entries, changed the folder WoW is installed to, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, changed graphics settings in both CCC AND in WoW Graphics Settings, tried both Crossifire enabled and disabled, opened the game in Full Screen and Windowed Mode, turned down my graphics settings to low, turned up my graphics settings to high, set my system back to Direct X 9, and back to Direct X 11, monitored my temperatures, turned off all unneeded background programs, ran the game as Administrator, tried different Internet Browsers, turned off UAC, updated video Drivers, ensured that at least 8 Gigs of RAM are free and available when WoW is running......

So here I am Blues....I have tried all the Vanilla answers you have thrown at this.

And WoW is STILL stuttering, sputtering, jerking, and is UNPLAYABLE...... and it wasn't doing ANY of this before the patch. I've got dual HD 5870's, I have enough graphics power to run this game on HIGH or ULTRA. I had it set to Ultra before the patch, and the game ran flawlessly. I changed NOTHING in my settings on the day the patch was released.

SO, please help me. I'm trying to be civil here.

All I ask is that you level with me and not feed me lines. If you have people behind the scenes who have acknowledged that the patch is indeed causing all of this chaos, then I would kindly ask you to NOT WASTE MY TIME by telling me to break down my rig piece by piece and asking me to do a system wide diagnostic of my rig like it's Air Force One.

So tell me, what do I do now?

If there's nothing I can do about this until you fix the patch from your end, then SAY SO. TELL people that so they can stop wasting their time trying to correct something that is beyond their control.

That's all we ask.
Edited by Fori on 9/11/2012 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am experiencing the exact same thing! It's very frustrating. It's like my screen becomes a checkerboard. I try and play through it, but I always end up shutting it off.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I would have replied to you sooner, sorry.

Shaariah, listen...this is a problem from Blizzard's end. It IS their patch causing most, if not all of this.

The most frustrating thing is, is that certain Blues and certain techs. ARE acknowledging it to players, both on the forums and during service calls.... but it's only happening in isolated pockets.

Right now noone is definitively saying that the patch is the source of this, and that there is nothing we can do until Blizzard fixes their code from their end.

I have been thoroughly researching the forums for the past entire week, looking at hundreds of player's posts, and comparing different problems, and also looking at the responses the blues are giving.

The patterns are OVERWHELMINGLY CLEAR, unfortunately getting anybody to listen at Blizzard's end, and getting many players to listen, has been an exercise in futility.
Edited by Fori on 9/10/2012 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Blood Elf Priest
<<<<<same exact issue
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I was having the same problem. I set CCC to turn of crossfire for the game (BTW I have the exact same cards as you, the 5870s) That actualy helped alot. I lost 3-4 fps but the stuttering and jerking dissapeared.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Tresska,

I am so happy to hear that that helped out the problem for you, or at least made it somewhat better.

Unfortunately, I tried the game with Crossfire disabled and made it absolutely no difference.

If you want, go and check out the other comment I just posted, so you can see all the things I have tried out so far, so we can eliminate what we know doesn't solve the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I just posted a comment listing in detail all of the things I have tried to solve this.

I have been trying desperately to get Blizzard to see the common thread running through all of this..... the patch.

They have players jumping through hoops right now. They've got players running around looking up and reporting what brand of modem they are using, running connection pings, calling their ISP Providers, downloading temperature monitors, updating video drivers from alternate, what I consider " semi-rogue" sources, or at least less than official sources, to try to byass possible conflicts with official Nvidia or AMD drivers, running system diagnosis on their rigs....asking them to run full system spec reports on their rigs and posting it....

...... they are asking people to post specific information about their computers, as if somehow it's only individual rigs that are causing this in random, isolated incidents.

They are running in circles trying to examine and pin the problem on everything else except the patch. The patch right now, is being considered "mostly successful"....and the attitudes and arrogance of some players is reflecting that. You've got people saying, "Well, Blizzard can't control if a file gets corrupted on your system. This isn't the patch, it's you."

That kind of arrogance from players is exactly why the rest of us are so frustrated and fed up right now.

And that theory has no logic. Just because a patch is "mostly successful" and works for "most people", doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have glitches in it! All it means is that the glitches in the patch didn't affect everyone. That DOESN'T mean there isn't something wrong with it that still needs to be fixed from their end!

So that attitude and arrogance has absolutely no place in this, and doesn't help the rest of us trying to solve this.

They are doing everything except looking back and failing to acknowledge that this is originating from glitches inside their patch. And I know that someone at Blizzard also knows this, and is working feverishly to solve the problem. I just don't understand why Blizzard won't announce that, and acknowledge that we're right and that they are working on the problem internally. If they would just tell us that we'd know where we stand.

It wastes their time and ours to go out into the forums and hit-or-miss try to solve individual player's problems as if they are individiual rig problems. It just wastes everybody's time to go through that exercise. It would be much more helpful to tell us to just sit tight, that there's nothing we can do until this gets resolved. At least then we'd have a clear sense of the situation. Right now it's just a mess.

....I even saw a player get asked if they had access to a friend's computer that they could go and download a patch or update of some kind, and put it onto a zip stick, and bring it back to their own house to install it. The theory being, that if their friend's computer managed to download it without any errors, and they got a "clean" download, the could bring that clean download back to their own house and download it, in the event that their own rig couldn't download it.

That was actually one of the responses from Blizzard.

Needless to say, there were responses from players ranging from "WTF, that's your solution?"....to "you've got to be kidding me." So I'm not the only one losing patience here.

This is out of control. I feel like we're screaming in outer space, and nobody can hear us.
Edited by Fori on 9/11/2012 8:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Fori,

What you call hoops, I call troubleshooting. There are thousands of different things that can cause latency, graphical glitches, crashes, etc. Only through troubleshooting are we able to narrow down issues and find the root cause.

It takes time and effort on both sides to determine the root of an issue. If that issue is on Blizzard's side, we'll tell you about it. If there's something that can be done to fix the issue on your system, we'll try to help you with that too. If we can't determine where the root issue is, we keep troubleshooting.

There's one more harsh truth I should mentioned. Patches change things. Each patch we release changes something in the game. The game experience continues to change over time. While we do everything we can to make this as easy as possible. If your system isn't changing and updating as well, you're going to run into problems eventually. These kinds of changes are not issues with the patch because we expect them to occur, they are growing pains.

Now, if you like, I'd be happy to help try troubleshooting the issue you're having. In your posts you mentioned deleting cache and modifying the WTF folder. What happened when you deleted or renamed the WTF folder and the INTERFACE folder? Are you doing anything specific when this stutter occurs? When and where do you see it?

Check your G-diffuser system!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Jurranok,

Thank you for responding.

When I deleted the WTF Folder and Interface Folder, there was no perceptable change in the game whatsoever. I saw no difference.

The graphics stutter occurs everywhere, in all zones I've been in so far. Travelling on the ground in zones, riding in zones, questing, in cities, in flight on Gryphons, inside buildings, and outside buildings. It is a universal stutter that is related to my character moving, whether on foot or mounted, or in flight.

I will say this. I am NOT having any issues with animation or frame rates in combat in terms of the actual toons themselves.. I am NOT having any issues with the actual movements of mobs or NPC'S. Those things appear normal. I am not having problems with any textures. The only notable exception to this is that since the patch, there have been like white, scattered dots on distant objects like mountain ranges and cliffs, and forests.

Also, I was in Swamp of Sorrows, and I noticed that certain bushes and small trees have these thin, black, hair-line like lines that run in jagged circles around them. They float in the air. Almost looks like something you would see during game development, like a graphics "place-holder" or "marker" so to speak.

The jerkiness ONLY applies to the terrain moving in relation to my character. The terrain "scrolling beneath me or past me" so to speak. When I am moving through the environment, the game has a distinct feel of a movie that has been shot at the wrong lens speed. Almost like a cheese-grater effect, like there aren't enough frames per second to generate smooth scrolling. And yet, I am getting 80-85 FPS as reported by Game Booster. That makes this even stranger.

So essentially, the stutter isn't happening when I do anything specific. It's simpy a game-wide stutter that happens to the environment and terrain as I am moving.
Edited by Fori on 9/11/2012 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Fori,

Ok. So there's no latency, no loss of FPS. Everything is fine when you are standing still, but when moving you see this stutter. Is it like your character is skipping a step every few seconds?

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Right, precisely.

No latency, no loss of FPS whatsoever. In fact the game is reporting a higher frame rate now than before the patch, with the exact same graphics card, HD 5870. Before the patch, I was playing with Reduce Input Lag turned off, because it greatly increased my frame rate, especially in cities. Since the patch, I have tried to test the game with Reduce Input Lag turned on and off. The frame rate changes and caps out accordingly, as it's supposed to, with RIL on or off, but the stuttering still happens regardless of which way it is set.

You nailed it. If I am standing still in the environment, the game looks and behaves totally normally.

Trouble starts when I move.

It doesn't seem like my character itself is skipping a step every few seconds. The animation of me and my mount is not suffering from skipping, as far as I can tell. It is purely the environment and terrain that is moving and scrolling in relation to me that is skipping. It's almost like a "cheese-grater" effect, like the terrain is "micro-skipping", and can't catch up.
Edited by Fori on 9/11/2012 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Fori,

I see. What you're describing is often some kind of timing issue. Is your computer or video card overclocked at all? Can you remove that overclocking if it's there?

If you're not overclocking, we may want to try reducing the clock speed temporarily to test the issue.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Jurannok,

Please pardon me, I have to step out for a time. I appreciate your responses and your trying to help. I will be back here in a few hours to pick up where we left off. If you have any further information or thoughts in the mean time, please post them here and I'll try to implement them from my end and post the results of what happened.

Thanks again for your time and effort.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Fori,

I see. What you're describing is often some kind of timing issue. Is your computer or video card overclocked at all? Can you remove that overclocking if it's there?

If you're not overclocking, we may want to try reducing the clock speed temporarily to test the issue.

No, I always run my video cards at stock speeds. I do not use overclocking. However I will check and make sure that I didn't accidentally change a setting somewhere or click something that I did not mean to.

The only thing I do which is not stock, is that I use MSI Afterburner, and I do have my video card fans set to run at higher speeds for cooling purposes. But as far as the actual cards themselves, I never overclock. I keep them just as they come from with standard settings.

Is it possible that a recent AMD driver caused this? I believe that CCC is currently at 12.8 if I'm not mistaken.

I also saw some posts referencing something about the fact that AMD had not released a patch for the "64-bit version" of WoW? And that they had been slow in releasing support for it?

I wonder if this is purely nothing more than a conflict between AMD's drivers and Wow's latest graphics engine overhaul.
Edited by Fori on 9/11/2012 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Fori,

Jurannok,

See, the thing is....if it does turn out that the most recent patch is causing more problems with AMD drivers vs. Nvidia drivers, or it turns out that the patch is having more problems with certain video cards vs. other cards..

...I am certainly willing to change video cards or change my configuration to compensate.

I have no problem jumping over to Nvidia, or even trying a different processor.

But until I know that, I can't commit to buying new components, especially if it's not necessary to do so.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Fori,

Thanks for the update. I would recommend disabling MSI Afterburner and then test the issue in the game. That program is designed for overclocking, and even if you're not using it to overclock it could be changing some setting and causing a conflict.

As for 32 and 64 bit modes, I haven't heard of any issue with the AMD drivers that cause a conflict there. It's easy to test though. On the game launcher, go to the game preferences in the options menu. Set the game to run in 32 bit mode and retest.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Jurannok,

Hello. Thanks for leaving the additional info while I was away.

I tested the game with MSI Afterburner disabled. No luck, the stutter persists.

I also tested the game in both 32 bit and 64 bit modes. No luck.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Not trying to highjack the thread but I m having the exact same issues. I m not overclocked and also tried the 32-64 bit thing, no luck.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
09/11/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Bigbullyhead
Not trying to highjack the thread but I m having the exact same issues. I m not overclocked and also tried the 32-64 bit thing, no luck.

Hey Bigbully!

No way, you're not hijacking the thread at all, in fact the more players we get who document this the better! Thanks for the input, this is what we need!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]