Cross Realm Fishing Derby?

So some one (who I will not name due to his cleverness of figuring it out) won the Northrend fishing derby 8s after it started. First I was amazed trying to figure out how you could win in 8 seconds. Unsure of how it was do-able without extreme luck of precasting, getting it on that cast, and having a lock port ready while being close enough to dal you can instantly turn it in I tried to whisper him but he was offline. So I armoried him and discovered he was from a server with an earlier timezone.

My guess is he lost the derby on his server but had a friend on mine and cross realmed into dal. Then could instantly turn it in cause he had the fish in his bags from earlier.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Alliance can probably catch the fish on the first cast, hearth to dal, and turn in the quest in 8 seconds, but they would have to be real lucky first cast. i wouldnt be surprised if what you are suggesting could happen though.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Alliance can probably catch the fish on the first cast, hearth to dal, and turn in the quest in 8 seconds, but they would have to be real lucky first cast. i wouldnt be surprised if what you are suggesting could happen though.

I sorta doubt this is possible since It for me at least takes over 8 seconds to run from the portal drop location to the hand-in NPC. Also portal jumps are not instantaneous by any stretch of the imagination.
Edited by Geodir on 9/8/2012 2:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
09/08/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Geodir
sorta doubt this is possible since It for me at least takes over 8 seconds to run from the portal drop location to the hand-in NPC. Also portal jumps are not instantaneous by any stretch of the imagination.

A mage blink or warrior heroic leap, maybe some other class speed boost i cant think of right now. It would take someone really paying attention to pull it off, but the more i think about it the more i wouldnt be surprised that blizz screwed something more up with the patch.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
spent 30 minutes fishing just before I realised this was happening, seems like a lot of fun for people in later time zones or other countries playing in US servers :\
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
This happened on my server as well!

Here is another weird thing. I was in scholazar doing the daily when all of a sudden the announcement went off saying that someone won the fishing tourney. This was at 1:20~ stormreaver server time but the server time on the clock when i was in scholozar read 2:20~

I thought the sever time changed or something but went to howling fjord and it was back at the normal server time at 1:55 the 5 min warning went off. I started to fish as soon as it started and before i reeled in my first cast the winner was announced.

The only thing i can think of is someone fished during the first tourney in zones with a different realm time and saved their black tip until the second tourney began in the other zones, hearthed, win.

I guess i will be getting to STV at 1:00 server time tomorrow.

CROSS REALM ZONES NEED A NORMALIZED REALM TIME!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Ahahah.

Blizzard needs to fix that if it is possible.
Reply Quote
55 Human Death Knight
Sure. It's very remotely possible that someone legitimately won the contest and was able to hearth or get ported to Dal in 8 seconds. But let's be logical - it's 1000 times more likely that they used cross realm server time changes to their advantage.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
All these posts assuming the initial claim of 8 seconds is valid. Startling.

I don't know what is or is not the case, but I think it goes without saying that merging servers for an achievement that is only handed out 104 times a year per server is a bad idea. Kind of like everything else associated with cross-realm areas. But Blizzard took the time to develop it, so don't hold your breath that they're going to decommission it just because it's impractical and all of their customers don't want it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
Someone just won the Stranglethorn derby on Mal'Ganis in less than two minutes, so it's definitely possible for people not from your server to win the derby on your server.
Edited by Schmalty on 9/9/2012 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Yeah, the STV one in 2 minutes is impossible. So THAT is real evidence of how this is kind of a problem; The later people (earlier?) are always going to have an advantage on the server sharing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
KA
It is a current exploit and IS happening. People lose the derby but keep the fish in their bags. They then cross realm into a realm with a different fishing tourney start time and immediately turn it in. It's freakin' BS.

Just another thing Blizz didn't think about when they put this crap in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Using the "Report Bug" feature in game is probably the best way to go about getting this resolved.
Reply Quote
I experienced the same thing on Saturday. I normally head to Dalaran 15 minutes in advance of the tournament. My server time is within the PST zone, but when once in Northrend the zones I encountered were on CST zone, ensuring that I was just under two hours late for the tournament.

Don't think we need confirmation as it's clear this is happening. However, would like and official word on what they're doing to fix it.
Reply Quote
Nice...need to find a way to try that.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Awesome. So not only is the fishing tourney around 3:30am local time for me, making it extremely annoying to try for, now there is even LESS chance I will ever get that one thing that's been keeping me from my Salty title for over a year :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Same thing on my server.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
events should not be cross realm....that is just retarded. why take something that is normally difficult to do on your regular server....add people that make more competition...and then have just one single winner? is rather ridiculous to compete with other servers for your own fishing event.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I just wanted to pass along that we’re aware of this issue, and that the impact of cross-realm zones on the Fishing Derby is currently being investigated.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Thanks for looking into this!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]