Cross Realm Fishing Derby?

90 Night Elf Hunter
CRZ, the gift that keeps on giving.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
This thread is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Did anyone at Blizz not see this coming?
Reply Quote
94 Tauren Druid
I had a different issue with the Northred fishing derby last week that was not related to different servers in different time zones but that resulted in TWO announced winners.

I was fishing in Borean Tundra, and at around the normal time of 6-7 min after the start of the tourny, the winner was announced. (P.S. Don't get me started on about how consistent the winner seems to almost always be announced at between either 6-7 min after start or around 13 min after start, when I thought that is supposed to be random deal...., but I digress.)

After I saw that announcement while in Borean Tundra, I went back to Dal to take care of some other stuff, and a couple minutes later, while still in Dal, the winner was announced...for a second time.

Thus, presumably due to the cross realm zones, there were two announcements of two different winners.

Note, the realm time displayed while I was in Borean Tundra was the same as my normal server time, and that time was also the same as the server time when I was back in Dal. That means that this was NOT due to there being servers in different times where someone catches the shark in an earlier time zone to turn in quickly in a later time zone realm.

On the good side, this might seem to indicate that despite there being CRZ's, there is still one winner per realm, which would be nice if that is indeed true.

On the bad side, if you are out fishing, and you seen an announcement of a winner, whether or not you can still win is pretty much unknown/unknowable. It seems that you should keep going to try and fish up your own shark since that announced winner may not apply to you when you return to your Dal.

It also seems that you'll also never know for sure if you've already lost your chance to win. It seems that if there was a winner on "your" shared/CRZ Dal, you probably would not see a correct announcement if you are out fishing in a difference CRZ zone.

While I did not do the Booty Bay tournament last weekend, it seems that this same sort of problem could also occur due to that tournament also spanning different zones as well.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Druid
KA
I almost won this once.

I've tried every week for about 2 1/2 years. Religiously, even my wife would say "honey, we gotta get home soon so you can do your fishing tournament"

About 6 months ago I fished up the shark, my heart was pounding. I Couldn't believe after all this time I had finally Won. Me, the winner of nothing had finally become a winner of something.

I hearthed to dal and Flew like the wind to turn in the quest and dc'd when I Clicked the quest giver.

When I cam back on, someone else was at the quest turn in and whispered me "Owned"

I have never tried for this again.

I will always be a loser of everything.

OMG............how horrible.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
why are all the realms red and i cant log into them is it because of this? or is it just my account
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Actually, unintended consequences are a result of failure to fully test or think an idea thru.

What proof do you have that this wasn't tested enough? At some point it had to go live and it is better to do it a month before Mop rather than after when all realms are getting slammed hard with people coming back.

What about the fact that CRZ's have been causing issues based on there implementation that are not related to bugs or technical issues.

The Fishing tournaments are an excellent example of this -- it is a problem that was reported in the beta and should of been factored into the design of CRZ (even if Blizzard merely changed the way fishing tournaments work).

Add in the bugs and what-not and i would argue that the feature was rushed and implemented merely because blizzard want MoP out ASAP (which is why they dropped/delayed Proving Grounds, the MOBA BG, Item Upgrade System, etc)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
09/12/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Jozie
Enjoy it folks...we won't see another blue post in here for another year. And this just goes to show that Blizzard DOES in fact, read the professions forums

We had two blue posts in a week. I think thats a record. Continuing my cynical streak, this topic was also on general forums. Its possible they dont read profession forums, just post here, lol.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Once again Fixing it after its broken instead of makeing sure it can't happen before hand....

Asc
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The cross realms thing is buggy. But it is bringing new life into what is usually a dead server. I think that this will be the best thing Blizzard ever does for low pop servers, but I agree with you guys about addressing certain issues. Fishing Tournaments, world events, select NPC's, all of those should be bound to your specific realm, and I wish they had only combined PVP realms with PVP, etc, but they're trying to bring the Massively Multiplayer back to this MMO, so we will just have to deal with it. I enjoy the cross realms idea, and am hopeful they will fix some of the glaring issues they're having with it. Just my two copper.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
09/12/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Vaeflare
I just wanted to pass along that we’re aware of this issue, and that the impact of cross-realm zones on the Fishing Derby is currently being investigated.

I think breaking Dalaran and Booty Bay off of Cross Realm would pretty much solve it.

Competing for Nodes isn't the issue, it's turning in the quests.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'd like to add that this is not the only thing that has become tougher. Try getting the Timelost Proto Drake in Northrend now. Basically the same concept.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I finally caught the shark after years of trying on different toons as well, hearthed to Dal only to find out that it is 3 hours ahead of the normal realm time, and Elder Clearwater had already despawned BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT EVEN STARTED!

This irritated me to no end, I only need one more quest from Old Man Barlowed, and a tournament win to get the title and now it seems impossible. I get the shark and for the first time feel like I can win it (since no winner was announced) only to get back to the turn in NPC and see that he is already gone.

Similiar issue with the STV one, the tournament was won as soon as it started...

Not happy at all...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I finally caught the shark after years of trying on different toons as well, hearthed to Dal only to find out that it is 3 hours ahead of the normal realm time, and Elder Clearwater had already despawned BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT EVEN STARTED!

This irritated me to no end, I only need one more quest from Old Man Barlowed, and a tournament win to get the title and now it seems impossible. I get the shark and for the first time feel like I can win it (since no winner was announced) only to get back to the turn in NPC and see that he is already gone.

Similiar issue with the STV one, the tournament was won as soon as it started...

Not happy at all...

That sucks, but should benefit for you, just keep checking Dal for him to show up. As long as you still have the shark you can turn it in when the next tourney starts. Sometimes entering Dal will put you into a different cross-realm. For example a friend of mine was able to do the cooking daily in Dal three different times today, each time the quest was different.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/12/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Vaeflare
I just wanted to pass along that we’re aware of this issue, and that the impact of cross-realm zones on the Fishing Derby is currently being investigated.
can we also get dmf and gurubashi arena and other such scramble events looked at?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
Nothing too new.. I know someone who won the derby in STV after transferring servers from EST to PST with all the fish.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I have a post on our guild forums from the first announcement of CRZ saying "get it now before it is impossible". We did some serious pvp to knock the last one out in STV. You can make your own luck with enough guildmates on that one.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This is total crap. I was sitting on a great spot ready for the derby and then minutes before it starts the realm time changed and disabled it for my spot so I missed out on even competing because of blizzards idiotic cross realm garbage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]