Cross Realm Fishing Derby?

90 Blood Elf Mage
We’ve looked into this issue and have a fix in the works to make the fishing tournaments behave in a more predictable manner. Unfortunately, this will require a patch in order to take effect, so we are disabling the fishing tournaments until we can deliver the fix for them in a future patch.

As a side-note: we’ll be posting about some larger CRZ concerns in the very near future, so hang in there. We’re listening, and we’re working to address those concerns just as quickly as we can.

Instead of turning off fishing derby, why not just turn off CRZ until the major kinks get worked out, or, you know, forever?

And this is the thing that grinds my gears. Now, you all are working to address the concerns created by this massive change you all implemented that only a very small number of players were clamoring for, a larger number don't like, and most probably feel "meh" about. Is it really worth it?

And also, "we" may be listening, but it's clear that Ghostcrawler isn't. He continues to boil down the complaints about CRZ to "people don't want competition for resources" and "people need to understand it's not a solo game."

I hope to G-d he's not representative of the degree to which Blizzard is "listening."
Edited by Rypkord on 9/20/2012 7:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/20/2012 06:08 AMPosted by Isillda
Excuse me, Andiran, but i spent a good sum of money to move my FIVE characters to a Low/ Med pop server for a reason! I DONT WANT TO PVP which is why i chose a RP server..

CRZ is not intended to force PvP. Yeah, it sucks right now while they're working out all of the bugs, but that will be fixed.

I LIKE that my server is small enough that i actually get to know the ppl that are on my server even if they arent in my guild.. I LIKE that we treat each other with respect and don't troll our chat/general channels. When you ask a question, people actually try to help.

You can only access the global channels in capitals (not included in CRZ), and if you're on a low pop. server it's not likely there will always be someone in your zone to answer in the general chat channel, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. This also goes toward my point from earlier: Blizz didn't intend for you to play the game on an empty server. Yes, some servers will have lower populations than others, and I'm not saying that they all need to be equalized or even that they need to be close, but, in my humble opinion, Blizz was not intending for servers to be as small as you describe. That's the point of CRZ.

I feel like i wasted my money now, i mean what was the point of allowing me to chose the server for the type of play i enjoy if they were going to randomly merge it with other game play styles??
I chose a Low/Med pop server after experiencing the game play on a High/Full server. Where every other Trade message was anal this or that. If i wanted to play on a server like that i would have stayed where i was.
Not to mention, I dont think its fair for someone on an RP server to be grief'd for RPing!!

Yes, this does suck, especially after you spent money on it. I have no idea, but I would assume it's something they're working on. They did say in a blue post somewhere (can't find it now) that they're working on tweaking the parameters for which realms are connected with which realms, and it may be the case that RP realms end up only connecting with RP realms. I don't know. But I can completely understand what you're saying, and I feel for you.

Oh, FYI, its not a competition when the other person is exploiting the system and cheating!

And we come to the point of this entire thread -- exploits like Fishing Derbies. Yes, it really does suck, and perhaps shutting them off entirely was not the ideal method while they try to fix it. Ghostcrawler said in the reddit AMA that they had intentionally coded to avoid this problem, but somehow the bug slipped through and now they're playing catch-up to fix it. I code myself (obviously nothing nearly as large as WoW), and I have at least an inkling about how difficult it can be to find and fix things like this. I do believe that they're working on it, but that may be tough for them to fix.

Don't think that I think "Blizzard is teh best! zomg!" I haven't even done the new scenario yet because of all of the crap that's been said about it here on the forums. I just think that CRZ, while it definitely needs to be tweaked and fixed, is better for WoW overall, and that it will be great once it's perfected.
Edited by Andiran on 9/20/2012 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
09/20/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Andiran
Don't think that I think "Blizzard is teh best! zomg!" I haven't even done the new scenario yet because of all of the crap that's been said about it here on the forums. I just think that CRZ, while it definitely needs to be tweaked and fixed, is better for WoW overall, and that it will be great once it's perfected.

I see some people say this, but so far none have actually given examples. How is it better?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
... so we are disabling the fishing tournaments until we can deliver the fix for them in a future patch.

Like so many before me, how is this the better solution? Either getting rid of the meta, or turning off CRZ temporarily would seem like a more reasonable plan. At least players would still be able to access the tournaments. Now instead of a few people being able to win, NO ONE is able to even participate? Such a genius idea this was... -_-
Reply Quote
@Andiran Negative Ghost Rider CRZ should not be cleared for a pass. It should be scrapped, don't get me wrong i like the world pvp thats been added but truthfully its not a lot of pvp its alot of hiding near quest hubs and people sniping you or running to the gaurds. 2nd how many servers worth of bots do I have to compete with its bad enough farming against bots on your on server but then you have thunderlord bots magtheridon bots and other servers that i cant list right now but as i type this im farming whiptail against so many bots and they arent even on my server so its not like i can go buy it from the ah from them either. Nodes, Rare Spawns and World bosses should not be be part of CRZ. I'm pretty sure the original intent was tohelp lower level zones and make them more active. Another thing is @ level 90 people will only be doing about 4-5 different things grinding rep in dungeons (no benefit from CRZ) BG/arena (no need for CRZ) Farming raw mats for ah or professions (hindered by CRZ) collecting pets for the pet battle system (not sure how CRZ will affect that) or raiding (not affected by CRZ). All I would like to here is WHAT BENEFITS does CRZ bring, all I have seen are con's whats the pro's to it. I mean why do CRZ why not just say hey 1 big server for all. Whya charge for a server transfer now when you still deal with the same issues. I have played on low- high pop servers and i find a nice balance on a medium pop ****RIGHT NOW IM KILLING A WORGEN ROGUE FROM BLEEDING HOLLOW THAT IS A BOT I HAVE KILLED HIM 17 TIMES BY SITTING AT THE SAME WHIPTAIL NODE AND HE COMES AND TRIES TO GET IT IM ON A PALLY NO STEALTH HE IGNORES ME AND GOES FOR THE NODE**** So if anyone can give me a list of pro's then maybe I can see your side. Not a my server is dying and its low pop and i cant transfer off cause i dont have the funds to comments but some real Pro's as to helping the game/community. Since the introduction of lfg or I'll say the changes made to it where its no longer lfg on your server in trade chat the community has turned on itself no more friendly players worried that if they are dicks or **trolling** will stop them from being able to play because you had a reputation now it doesnt matter I can say f*ck you I'm not gonna tank that or heal you or dps that and my reputation on the server never changes. Everyone used to know everyone even alts now its a big LFD que grind and whocares if people think im an !@#$%^-
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
If you removed the Chef's Hat from the <Chef> title requirement, remove the Derby from the <Salty> title requirement.
Edited by Trebuchet on 9/20/2012 9:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
We’ve looked into this issue and have a fix in the works to make the fishing tournaments behave in a more predictable manner. Unfortunately, this will require a patch in order to take effect, so we are disabling the fishing tournaments until we can deliver the fix for them in a future patch.

As a side-note: we’ll be posting about some larger CRZ concerns in the very near future, so hang in there. We’re listening, and we’re working to address those concerns just as quickly as we can.

Awesome, "we can't fix this. Well, we can, but it'll be hard. So we're just taking it out for a while. It'll be back 'soon'"

Easy answer to fix 90% of the problems? Get rid of CRZ.
Reply Quote
43 Gnome Warrior
09/19/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Megalithic
Wow, so instead of disabling the terribly buggy CRZ fiasco that has been thrust on us, they are instead disabling the fishing derbies which were previously working just fine.

This is my exact thought. The CRZs are no benefit to the players. Let's disable them until the issues can be resolved instead of arriving Tuesday with all of these issues in place.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Could you people be any more rude and condescending to the blues post, you might not agree with what they said but damn chill the hell out..
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
09/19/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Megalithic
Wow, so instead of disabling the terribly buggy CRZ fiasco that has been thrust on us, they are instead disabling the fishing derbies which were previously working just fine.

The fishing derbies still work fine. The problem is that we're all being bounced around multiple servers with multiple different time zones.

I swear to God, if they disable TB and WG because CRZs prevent you from queuing if you aren't sitting in Orgrimmar, I WILL freaking quit WoW. I love the game, have MoP CE preordered, but this "feature" is screwing up most of the gameplay for me, and hearing that they're disabling parts of the game to try to force us to accept something that's broken is just pissed me off. I'm sick of the lag between zones, the screwing up timed events, the inability to jump into a timed battle with guildmates, the griefers from other realms, the inability to farm mats... It's a mess, and the answer isn't to disable the parts of the game that were working fine, it's to disable this horrible mess that's not working.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
If you removed the Chef's Hat from the <Chef> title requirement, remove the Derby from the <Salty> title requirement.

Wait, WHAT?!? My Chef title took a long time to get just because of that freaking hat, I was doing Northrend dailies for months to get the tokens, I just finally got it, and it's moot?

I mean, hey, at least the hat looks snazzy, but still...

Yeah, at that point, drop the stuff from <Salty> that require stuff CRZ is wrecking. So, basically, Mr. Pinchy and the derbies both.

Sad that I can't get Salty before MoP, and who knows if I can after, at this rate...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Why take down something that works, but keep the thing that doesn't work up?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Solution to people have trouble with low-pop servers? Make server moves free. If Trion Worlds can afford it, so can Blizz. The money they "lose" on that will be nothing to the monthly subs lost from people being pissed off with a broken feature that, even if working 100% "perfect," will cause many more problems than it "fixes."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Why not just disable cross realms and keep the fishing tournament going the way it is? I don't think that cross realm areas are what brings people to the tournaments.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Priest
Who do I need to talk to to buy out most of the Shares in Blizzard??

I would love to buy 51% of the stock! Than I will listen to the community and GIVE ACTUAL

players what they want and NoT what is in the interest of People who dont really play the

game! Priesttine For President!!
Reply Quote
86 Undead Priest
For starters... All PVP realms will be able to play cross realms only on PVP realms. PVE only on

PVE Realms! IF The people vote for no cross realming than IT wont happen!

Oh wait Blizzard runs on common sense??? my bad..... I guess the more money one makes the

more common sense one looses.....
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
They say that people are getting tired of the game because there is nothing to do.
They then remove the Fishing tourny, one of the main reasons to play on Saturday/Sunday.
Seems like they think that we have enough to do now that the next expansion is almost out.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage

I am glad to hear that. I find the CRZ lag, loss of character control, screen freezes and other side effects somewhat troubling when I am trying to play, especially in PvP situations -- not to mention I'm on a RP PvP realm and the non-RP names that pop up in CRZ are a breach of immersion.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue

Are you kidding? Whats next? Disable the sky cuz the weathers not working? What about those of us that have been trying to win these for years?!?!?!?!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]