Low level tanks with very high DPS

100 Night Elf Hunter
I level (too many) alts and I run low level dungeons with them. I see all the time that low level tanks out DPS the rest of the group by a wide margin. Blizzard seems to be completely unconcerned with this and I guess must actively promote it to make low level dungeons easier. As someone who doesn't play tanks, though, I think this really makes running these dungeons less fun. Anyone agree or is this just a leveling tool that everyone likes?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Blizz is now focused on end level gameplay and really isn't concerned with tank balance at lower levels.

Is it good for the game? Probably not but it's a lot cheaper than going back and balancing every single class and dungeon at every single level.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
One reason is that tanks get abundant AoEs to help them generate threat against a lot of mobs. Many other classes just don't. Shadow priests don't get mind sear until the 70s now, and this means that their "aoe" damage is spamming dots - and with the time it takes for mobs to go down at lower levels, those dots just don't tick for much. Because DPS don't have the full range of their abilities, they will be hampered many times in either single-target or AoE encounters. For example an Unholy Death Knight can output crazy amounts of AoE damage even in the lower 60s - put up diseases, spam blood boil, lay down death and decay. But his single target damage will be poor, as he doesn't have his runic regeneration and after his initial "burst" he'll just be sitting there, waiting for some runes to show up.

Additionally, some abilities are off the GCD to further boost DPS - warriors used to have shield slam off the GCD (I haven't played one since 5.0.4) and paladins have their shield of the righteous off the GCD now.

Just accept that you will not out DPS a tank at lower levels - probably not even a disc priest healer. Players shouldn't be concerned with their recounts at these levels.
Edited by Trystero on 9/10/2012 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Didn't our AoE's move to like level 30 now?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Really? I'm keeping up with pretty much every tank I meet, even though I don't really have a clue what to do since the patch.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
We were ridiculous leveling before.

Not so much now.

You should have 0 problems keeping up with the tank with proper play.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I say this with the utmost respect and sincerity...

NO ONE CARES!

Sorry.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

Not so much now.

I've been running low level dungeons since 5.0.4 came out and I can assure that I have seen no DPS that keep up with any tank at level 60 or lower.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Does it really matter? Keep up with the tank, get loots, get levels. Weeeee.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior

Not so much now.

I've been running low level dungeons since 5.0.4 came out and I can assure that I have seen no DPS that keep up with any tank at level 60 or lower.

1. Nobody cares about low level DPS meters

2. Most low levels aren't that good

3. Plus other factors like one person having BoAs and the other not.
Edited by Ðemolition on 9/10/2012 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]