Fear vs polymorph

90 Human Warlock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOURDGhF6C0

clearly mages have it bad lol, locks are the only ones with a semi trinket on a 15 sec cd right? oh wait no thats mages
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The real problem with Fear is that you can take damage while in it, this and its "random" movment mechanic are simply outdated.

People have a habit of using words like "outdated" and "boring" when they really mean "I don't like this." I have little respect for those who can't bring themselves to say what they mean, and instead attempt to grant themselves legitimacy by using catchphrases (yes, I hate all politicians).

The only problem with the random movement portion is when it fears you into a wall or pillar or something like that. The only problem with the taking damage part of it is that the warlock always remembers the time when 1 corruption tick broke the effect, but everyone else remembers the time when they lost 75% of their health before the fear effect broke.

May as well just change it so that your toon bends over to take up the, and get it over with.. Because thats what Fear is in an organized PVP environment.

See my above about how sometimes it breaks on almost no damage at all.

Poly while it can be irritating to be stuck in poly for a bit, has some drawbacks for use..

#1 polymorph heals your target back to full.
#2 polymorph to be any good requires that you glyph it.
#3 polymorph breaks on any kind of damage no matter how small.. IF the toon you are to poly had aggro'd a RAT, it will break poly.. Fear is not that way..

Your problem is that you are comparing 1 single mechanic while ignoring everything else. Mage burst is MUCH higher than warlock burst. Mage control is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than warlock control. Mage durability is higher than warlock durability. The list goes on.

This doesn't even take into account that there are SEVERAL ways to break or simply ignore fear (zerk rage, fear ward for example) but there is NO way to prevent fear (unless you count spell reflect, but then, spell reflect also prevents a warlock's fear).

Fear does not break as fast as some people have been saying,, I have seen plenty of occations on that I have lost my frost barrier and 50% of my HP in the durration of a FEAR.

Again, you remember losing tons of health (and damage mitigation), the warlock remembers a single corruption tick. RNG is a bear. But polymorph is fine, in fact WAY WAY WAY more than fine.

Last thought: My ONLY cc is intimidating shout, it's instant cast, but has a 1 minute cd. I would love to have a cc that has a short cast time, but I can spam on a single target at range. How is it fair that you have a cc that you can spam, and I don't?

(for those of you who don't get it, I'm illustrating a point, I'm not really asking that warriors have a spammable cc)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
well said O.o ^^^
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

That's not crying.

Yes, it is.
Edited by Vex on 9/11/2012 11:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
09/11/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Glítch
Being an enabler which is what locks were all of Cata pvp does not really count unless you're going to count healing specs within their classes versus locks since they've played a support role in getting that not a dps role.

Hey guys did you hear? Locks have had more glads than every other caster for 2 entire expansions in a row but it doesn't count!!!

You are seriously in denial.

Watch this video and it will answer your question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOURDGhF6C0&feature=plcp

Thanks for that. I was wondering what would happen if I went AFK while fighting a mage in Mists and now I know!

Locks were not the most represented in cata. Unstable affliction was. If mages had UA and locks did not, you would only see locks paired with mages.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
Locks were not the most represented in cata. Unstable affliction was

I like that line of reasoning. I'm going to try that myself sometime.

DD forum: OMG nerf mages!!!! OP OP OP!!!
Me: No guys, Mages are perfectly balanced, it's just freezes and shatter that's OP not mages!!!
DD forum: lol, wut?

09/11/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Purebalance
If mages had UA

But mages didn't have UA, locks did therefore locks got another free ride to glad for yet another expansion.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
Ummm people would agree if you said the above.

UA was not broken. Dispels were. There's a difference. Also getting a free ride to glad is supposed to be fun not "You're only here for UA and some backup damage while I do the heavy lifting".

And no it wasn't "another expansion" like I said before there have been a good 3-4 seasons between the past 2 expansions where locks were not top and actually 2 of those seasons they were pretty damn low.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
09/12/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Purebalance
Ummm people would agree if you said the above.

Ummm not really, I'd probably get laughed off the forum. Trying to separate your talents from your class is in fact laughable.

UA was not broken. Dispels were. There's a difference.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. The end results were the same, locks got to be arena gods for another expansion.

Also getting a free ride to glad is supposed to be fun

Fun is subjective, having more glads than every other caster is not subjective.

And no it wasn't "another expansion" like I said before there have been a good 3-4 seasons between the past 2 expansions where locks were not top and actually 2 of those seasons they were pretty damn low.

Having a bad season or two =/= locks didn't have more glads than every other caster in LK. If you can come up with a better metric to judge the success of classes in arena I'm all ears.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You have to love that Warlocks and affliction spec are interchangeable. Cataclysm drove Warlocks to being the least played class of any expansion. It had nothing to do with arena representation or dps. The class was literally unplayable with exception of a high end arena and a few scattered PvE players. Contrary what the genome is spouting locks were revamped for a reason.

The fear versus polymorph is a legitimate question for someone not familiar with locks. The major reason is mobility and control. Fear has more counters than poly or any other ability in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
09/12/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Morbus
how many times has fear been nerfed? and people still cry?

i know right?

in PvP:

mage = easy mode
warlock = heroic hard mode

this ^

any mage who complains that warlocks are such DEMI-GODS in pvp should roll one and then post how many times they had to replace their monitor from a sudden wild flying keyboard.
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Glítch
Thank God for Specific Comps(RLS)

And Lock/Shaman/Druid and Lock/Shaman/Priest and Lock/Mage/Shaman....

So, four good comps, and all of them had that same 'Lock-Shaman partnership. I spot a trend here.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
There is no comparison between fear and polymorph. Sure if those were the only spells each class had then they should be equal.
Edited by Lerajie on 9/12/2012 6:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Draenei Shaman
Been reported that several fears (the psyfiend one and howl of terror are the two I've heard mentioned the most) are breaking on a level 90 amount of damage right now instead of 85, so fears are lasting a bit longer than normal in some circumstances.

Also, all this talk about control and shadow priests go under the radar in this thread.

Fear (8 seconds) into psyfiend fear (4 seconds) into global silence (4 seconds) ending with a 3 orb horrify (4 seconds).

Is that as much as that cartoonz vid with the mage and 27 seconds of cc? Nope. But all of the above can affect a target that is STILL taking damage (albeit not a lot for the first two fears).

Yeah...
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
09/12/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Sharrow

And Lock/Shaman/Druid and Lock/Shaman/Priest and Lock/Mage/Shaman....

So, four good comps, and all of them had that same 'Lock-Shaman partnership. I spot a trend here.

Yep, take the most OP healer (rshaman) match them with the most OP caster (lock) and you have the foundation for a winning comp...now just grab a mage or rogue or druid or priest and you're headed to gladville.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
complaining about PvP 12 seasons into the game wow

Just play the game, people. If Blizzard wanted PvP to be balanced, they wouldn't drastically change how every class works for every expansion.

Try out Counter Strike or Starcraft or DoTA if you want balanced PvP.

Disclaimer: I am not a PvE hero (nor an arena junkie). All I do is random battlegrounds (when I bother to play anymore, that is).
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock

Yep, take the most OP healer (rshaman) match them with the most OP caster (lock) and you have the foundation for a winning comp...now just grab a mage or rogue or druid or priest and you're headed to gladville.

Explain what was OP about locks in cata. You have yet to do this.

Soul link? Let's see the damage is transferred and every other caster had 5% less of a damage reduction with the damage ACTUALLY GOING AWAY(except ele).

Fear? Countless counters to that compared to poly.

Self heals? Lifetap. Nuff said.

Demon Armor? Ferals, rogues, etc had similar talents.

Supposed massive spread damage? In order for the damage to amount to anything you'd need shadow embrace on your secondary target and you couldn't toss dots on 3 targets or you'd never get a fear off.

So what is it? It was the need for OTHER casters to utilize UA or RLS banking on cc chains with UA silences into smoke bombs coupled with fear coil blind.

Get a clue before you post more nonsense about the "most OP caster"
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
09/13/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Purebalance
Explain what was OP about locks in cata.

In a nutshell UA obviously along with their insane survivability, add to that their multi-target pressure to create good swap opportunities along with good control and WHAMO you have the most OP caster in the game.

I mean do you think locks have been carrying a PLUS 100% to 150% over rep at 2400 for almost this entire expansion because locks are just naturally more skilled than everyone else? lol
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Then you have a few players like me that realize that there is nothing credible about the pvp in wow. suddenly sub rogues have lost all thier mega skill that carried them thru cata and it transfered over to BM hunters and shadow priests.

I have i hard time arguing that it's not class rigging and that all of a sudden hunters and spriests are a tough out and the most skilled players in the game,. NOT!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
09/13/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Glítch
insane survivability,
lol they survived because they had a competent healer idiot.

Ps arena doesnt matter.
Edited by Dochaelian on 9/13/2012 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]