Soloing Better or Worse now?

90 Tauren Paladin
Is soloing Better or Worse now? Any Tank class, i know warlocks are doing awesome soloing bosses.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Slightly better from a bear PoV, unless fight mechanics interact with FR/Vengeance in some special way, making it either weaker than before (any fight with a mortal strike effect, like faction champs, gluth, Maexxna), or much stronger than before (just about anything in ICC, thanks to +30% healing making our HPS scale very closely with DTPS, lol having a heal based on damage taken :D).

Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq0Km6CTX_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftINw_DCquE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRiE6DtanKM

I know DKs have seen an improvement. I believe pallies are better than they were. Warriors... well, someone has to be in last place.
Edited by Ahanss on 9/11/2012 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
OMG That first video is amazing it makes me want to go try and solo LK 10M Heroic!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6036454104

I'm going to shamelessly plug my DK guide to soloing raids. It was written for 4.3, but most of the information is the same.

DKs saw a loss in DPS due to the vengence change, but an overall increase in DPS due to the one second GCD and some other factors. As a good baseline, my previous twin emps kill took 21 minutes. After 5.0, it only took about 13.

Soloing for DKs did take a bit of a hit to utility. Lichborne and Ghoul Sacrifice, which used to be baseline, we now have to pick up as talents, which excludes us from taking any of the new stuff. We now get a 100% magic damage reduction with AMS glyph, but can no longer glyph it to last 7 seconds, which makes avoiding some debuffs a pain.

The biggest change to DK soloing was the fact that blood worms is now a talent for ALL DKs, whether you like it or not. That makes Skerem and Kael'thas a pain. Luckily, Skerem is a push over as frost or unholy, and a strat has been built for killing Kael'thas as frost (see page 4 of the above guide).

Overall, DKs are still great, but I don't think they're as ahead of the pack as they used to be.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
Second wind all day erryday
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
09/11/2012 05:37 PMPosted by Ahanss
Warriors... well, someone has to be in last place.

Hey, it may be last place, but Second Wind and Shield Barrier make it infinitely better than pre-patch.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
09/11/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Covile
OMG That first video is amazing it makes me want to go try and solo LK 10M Heroic!

Yes, well, I had that same reaction when he posted it in the solo thread on MMO.
So, that's where the second video came from. Best part is I actually one-shot it, despite the numerous close calls, me failing at shadow trap (twice), and having absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in that frostmourne room.

It was fun :).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
has a paladin solo'd it on heroic yet?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
No clue.
It was done on normal well before the patch, though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I don't know about old raids (haven't tried any ones i didn't regularly clear anyway pre-5.0) but i know in 5 mans i feel like i pretty much don't need a healer anymore. I've done a handful of HoT's now and the last one, no joke, the priest went shadow for the end-time clear.

Sacred shield + 2 piece + godly new word of glory + our shield slam making us basically take jack for physical damage = lol5mans more than before :P
Edited by Skyfiredraco on 9/11/2012 9:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
3 Worgen Druid
Had to respond to "warriors are last place" comment. I have been tanking on my druid since lvl 15. I just made lvl 85. My max dps thus far is roughly 4k. I off-spec heal and ran a dungeon with a lvl 84 warrior tank who did 11k dps! A lvl 80 death knight was doing 10k dps in another run. I only have 1 max level tank (bear) and a lvl 83 paladin. From the dungeons I have run (as tank or healer), I'd say warriors and death knights are way out in front.
Things may be different with high level gear and in raiding, but from a new bear's perspective, the pecking order is something along the lines of: Warrior..DeathKnight........Paladin..............................Warlock................Bear.
Edited by Malfina on 9/12/2012 1:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
11 and 10k dps?

NO WAY DUDE!

I was only doing well over double that when i leveled my mage and lock...
Reply Quote
3 Worgen Druid
....you're mocking me, aren't you. Were you leveling your mage and lock since the patch? The average dps I have seen in normal cata dungeons is between 4k - 8k. It really was amazing to see a sword and shield tank do 11k dps.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
KT now aggro on bloodworms ... made me a very sad panda.

but .. I kinda made it work as frost. But it's much more stressfull than the breeze I had as blood.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior

but .. I kinda made it work as frost. But it's much more stressfull than the breeze I had as blood.

I really really really wish Blood Parasites would be turned into a BUFF that we can choose to have active or not.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
09/12/2012 03:53 AMPosted by Malfina
....you're mocking me, aren't you. Were you leveling your mage and lock since the patch? The average dps I have seen in normal cata dungeons is between 4k - 8k. It really was amazing to see a sword and shield tank do 11k dps.

The point Demo is making is twofold.

1 - Leveling content isn't a good measure of endgame balance (see Holy Paladins and the recent Holy Shock hotfix, for example). Even one single solitary level can completely change the effectiveness of one class vs another, particularly if key abilities or talents are involved, or something as simple as scaling.

2 - Without context, DPS numbers mean nothing. To illustrate my point, my tankadin did 160k DPS last night on a boss fight. It was H Baleroc so the numbers are horridly skewed, but you see where I'm going with this.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
There's also the whole trying to tell a bear that bears are UP, kinda doesn't work.
You need to have some baseline of gear, I typically use Winey for stuff if I'm worried about overgearing it, since he's just LFR/JP gear.

And besides, 20k is about the lowest I'm able to go for something I can actually do a single target rotation on. If vengeance enters the picture? Well, I was sustaining about 100k for the first 6 minutes or so of that LK kill.

If it makes you feel any better, doing it as a bear somewhat sucks too. We need that legendary staff equipped for CC protection, but with it on, anything we have based on weapon damage takes a massive dive in damage.

It takes forever, but at least balance is an awesome solo spec now so we don't need to bother with slow bear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
There's also the whole trying to tell a bear that bears are UP, kinda doesn't work.
You need to have some baseline of gear, I typically use Winey for stuff if I'm worried about overgearing it, since he's just LFR/JP gear.

And besides, 20k is about the lowest I'm able to go for something I can actually do a single target rotation on. If vengeance enters the picture? Well, I was sustaining about 100k for the first 6 minutes or so of that LK kill.

If it makes you feel any better, doing it as a bear somewhat sucks too. We need that legendary staff equipped for CC protection, but with it on, anything we have based on weapon damage takes a massive dive in damage.

It takes forever, but at least balance is an awesome solo spec now so we don't need to bother with slow bear.

that's the thing, he doesn't MC the tank if there's no other valid targets (aka how it worked until 2 weeks ago). He always ignored army of the dead, raise dead or bloodworms. They are "guardians", not pets.

But since the 5.0 patch, he's considering them valid targets, so he MC's you and start attacking your bloodworms -_- ...

the crap is that you can't turn them off, so until they change it (if they change it) you have to do as frost. Which while doable, is a little riskier. Specially now with 15 sec interrupts, you have to eat a lot of fireballs (10k dmg is 10k dmg =o ). I had to use 1 souldrinker, fallen crusader on both weapons and spam death siphon.

previously, all I had to do was faceroll him as blood.

Not that it's a problem, since in 2-3 weeks my DK will be 90 and have 300k more hp than what I have now ..
Edited by Eflow on 9/12/2012 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
I'm not sure if you guys are referring to KT or Kael, but I assume Kael.

/violin either way. =P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]