General AMA lore discussion

90 Dwarf Warrior
Huzzah, mine was the most red-shirtiest question of the AMA! And pretty much the answer I expected.
Reply Quote
And I am really not going to happy if Thrall doesn't have to face any real long-term consequences to his mistakes, AT LEAST for appointing Garrosh and Warchief ahead of multiple demonstrably better alternatives.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm not sure I can handle Vol'jin's accent for an entire book.
Reply Quote
That's how you get all the Horde leaders involved.

Vol'jin, Baine, and Sylvanas lead the rebel army. Lor'themar has been setting up secret portals throughout Orgrimmar should this very situation ever happened and Gallywix has a secret access to Garrosh's room.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
like to imagine him reading and responding to the first question in a way that paints Thrall and by extension the Horde in a good light.

Then he reads the second question and realizes that there's no way to spin that in a good way whereby he hurls his computer out a window.

I think he just didn't know / remember because they can't remember what we easily remember each day.

Because... they're too busy rolling around in piles of money? /shrug
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
09/11/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Threeslotbag

Nah, the whole thing will obviously be written entirely in flawless Zandali.

But yeah, I'm not sure how that'll work.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
09/11/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Threeslotbag

I RP with a thicker accent than Vol'jin's, you'll be fine.

Be happy it isn't new Tyrande accent.

09/11/2012 07:19 PMPosted by Kellick

I would read it.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 9/11/2012 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

But yeah, I'm not sure how that'll work.

I'm sorry Kellick but... Vol'jins slated for poor characterization.

*Gives you the Warcraft equivalent of the "I'm so sorry loved one is terminal, it's just a matter of time" hug*
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/11/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Liuv

It can't. That's why they didn't address it.

He's secretly Thrall's spy inside Orgrimmar. When the sh*t hits the fan in 5.3/5.4 Gallywix will be the rebel's ace in the hole.

...What? A goblin can hope can't he?

His defeat at Thrall's hands in the Lost Isles somehow humbling Gallywix and turning him into a good person actually does sound like something Blizz would do.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
He's still posting stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I'm sorry Kellick but... Vol'jins slated for poor characterization.

*Gives you the Warcraft equivalent of the "I'm so sorry loved one is terminal, it's just a matter of time" hug*

Heh. I've no idea what Stackpole's writing is like, so that may very well be the case.

I'll be adopting my standard wait and see position until further notice. :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm a little bummed we didn't get anything on the Alliance out of all that. Other than they aren't doing anything with Stromgarde (probably ever) in Arathi Highlands, we'll see Jaina "beacon of light for the world" Kirin Tor, and they're developing Anduin "lead the united Horde/Alliance" more.

Nothing on the Trials of the High King quest, nothing about any of our leaders doing.....anything.

Should I have a sinking feeling about Alliance continuing to remain stagnant with MoP? :(
Reply Quote
Based off his Star Wars stuff, Stackpole is decent. Not the best SW author, but solid.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Wrathion has a vision for the future of Azeroth - a united Azeroth - and he's not too particular about how we get there. We're big fans of characters who flirt along the line between hero and villain.

In 5.0, Wrathion is definitely feeling out the factions and trying to formulate a plan. It's up to you to impress him. You'll have another chance in 5.1, when the war rolls up onto the pandaren shores. As for his next move... well, no spoilers.

I'm not too thrilled about that. It sounds like Wrathion will be just as manipulative and possibly as evil as Neltharion (less like the pre Cata version and more like the Lord Daval Prestor version) was. He wants a united Azeroth and doesn't particularly care how that happens? It sounds like he would have been fine with the Horde winning the war too. And that he will manipulate things behind the scenes to get what he wants. An Azeroth under his control.
Edited by Kynrind on 9/11/2012 7:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm a little bummed we didn't get anything on the Alliance out of all that. Other than they aren't doing anything with Stromgarde (probably ever) in Arathi Highlands, we'll see Jaina "beacon of light for the world" Kirin Tor, and they're developing Anduin "lead the united Horde/Alliance" more.

Nothing on the Trials of the High King quest, nothing about any of our leaders doing.....anything.

Should I have a sinking feeling about Alliance continuing to remain stagnant with MoP? :(

That will be our fist pumping moment? That Blizzard didn't butcher any Alliance leaders anymore?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/11/2012 07:32 PMPosted by Kynrind
I'm not too thrilled about that. It sounds like Wrathion will be just as manipulative and possibly as evil as Neltharion (less like the pre Cata version and more like the Lord Daval Prestor version) was. He wants a united Azeroth and doesn't particularly care how that happens? It sounds like he would have been fine with the Horde winning the war too. And that he will manipulate things behind the scenes to get what he wants. An Azeroth under his control.

I'll get flak for referencing an anime, but....

If Wrathion were like the antithesis of Karla from Record of Lodoss War, I'd be okay with this. Karla was an immortal witch (immortal dragon Wrathion) who possessed others' bodies to live through the ages. Her entire focus was on balance so no power became too great. When there was a war and one side seemed it would win, she'd happily kill their leader to prevent the victory if the other side wasn't strong enough to gain from it.

Her stance was "This land shall be neither united nor conquered." If Wrathion developed in a similar fashion that one way or another, all of Azeroth will unite or be conquered under one unifying banner, I could dig that angle.

It does sound like he might wind up being a bit of a bad guy even with good intentions.

09/11/2012 07:35 PMPosted by Kynrind
That will be our fist pumping moment? That Blizzard didn't butcher any Alliance leaders anymore?

LOL
They didn't ruin them by simply ignoring them? Interesting concept. hahahaha
Edited by Faroth on 9/11/2012 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/11/2012 07:35 PMPosted by Kynrind

I was also quite disappointed they didnt talk that much about the Alliance. The only light at the tunnel was Jaina. Element please tell me they dont make her neutral afterall!!!
Reply Quote
15 Blood Elf Hunter
During your recent Cdev, you stated that it wasn't an Old God underneath Tirisfal. Any chance you could give us any kind of hint as to what's down there? Any tidbit of info would be awesome.I hate to do this, but I didn't want to leave you hanging without an answer. My answer is: We're not saying. :o Not yet.

Yah... there really is someone... or something important down there.

Im hoping the Tyr theory me and some other people thought up in the other thread works >.>

Well my part in it was saying how both are crazy cliffhangers... then someone else defined it and made my dumb theory make sense XD
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
LOL
They didn't ruin them by simply ignoring them? Interesting concept. hahahaha

After the disappointment that was Cataclysm and the knowledge at what the Alliance will be doing/NOT doing (kicking Horde !@#$ and taking names) in MoP, it's getting so I'm willing to take what little I can get.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
You forgot to add:

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/zqm8d/world_of_warcraft_developer_ama/c66wl5f?context=3

Q: I have a couple of lore questions relating to some of the developments in Tides of War.

First, Jaina's official status is in limbo. While she declares that she's "anti-Garrosh" that seems to be the extent of her disdain for the Horde. This coupled with the fact that she's now the leader of a neutral faction, which contains both Alliance and Horde members, and it seems that she's effectively a neutral character now, and that after Garrosh is deposed she'll go "full neutral." This is the opposite of how many people thought was going to happen; after having her city destroyed by the Horde, even if Garrosh is deposed it doesn't feel as though she should be a neutral character after being victimized by the Horde to the extent she has. Can the devs shed some insight on this?

My second question pertains to a subject that's highly controversial on the forums, which is Lordaeron. This is not a question about whether the Forsaken qualify as the rightful owners or not (I don't want to touch that subject with a ten foot pole), but rather in how the Alliance's position there is and what the Alliance's motivations are combined with what we see in Tides of War. In Wrath of the Lich King, Varian declared that he has every intention of retaking Lordaeron, and that the Alliance's operations against the Scourge were largely conducive to that goal. In Cataclysm we see the Alliance making some effort, but it seems to be minimal as it's easily forced back and in Tides of War, Sylvanas alludes to the idea that the Alliance has not attempted to retake Lordaeron in full force. Why is the Alliance holding back, and what is the Alliance's plans for the future of the region? How does the Alliance look at the whole Lordaeron situation now, and will the Lordaeron citizens in the Alliance ever get a voice?

Thanks for your time.

A: GREAT questions! Re: Jaina. The novel gets inside her head and traces all of her reactions before, during, and after Theramore. [Spoilers!] At the end she's heading up the Kirin-Tor, and she really sees them as a beacon of light that will help the world ultimately move forward and on from the war. EXCEPT... her story doesn't end there. We'll catch up with her in the patches.

Re: Lordaeron. Without having the book in front of me, I'm not sure which passage you're talking about. The Alliance can't retake Lordaeron until they get to it; Sylvanas held them off at Andorhal, as depicted in-game.

What's Varian been up to? Well, after focusing on the Lich King, he wasn't using Alliance military might to conquer new territory. He used it to, among other things, provide aid and rescue the Gilneans. Does this make him a bad leader, or a noble one? That's a good question.

----
Q: Does this mean the Alliance has lost another lore character to neutrality?

Really would like to see some Alliance lore figures that don't die or go neutral.

A: Feedback from Cataclysm is that people don't like when they "lose" a character to neutrality. So I hear you. Jaina's story continues, and we have plans!!

and

http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/zqm8d/world_of_warcraft_developer_ama/c66woag?context=3

Q: The last official timeline puts Wrath of the Lich King at Year 27. However, there is contradictory information regarding Cataclysm's place in the timeline. Sources such as the Cataclysm manga, the Shattering, and Anduin's age would seem to indicate fairly solidly that it sits a year after Wrath of the Lich King (Year 28). However, Matoclaw's reference to the battle of Hyjal being "a decade ago" and the Deadmines intro quest that says VanCleef died five years ago suggest that it's actually three years after Wrath (Year 30). What is Cataclysm's proper place in the timeline?

A: This is the most red-shirtiest of questions so far! Congrats!

But it's a good question.

Matoclaw was just estimating when she says "a decade ago." It was closer to ... what, seven years I think?

I can tell you that the quest team is definitely being a little ambitious with Anduin - we write him as though he's 17 or so, but in reality his age is younger.

And since we're being honest, we're intentionally a little bit vague about exact time periods in-game. The content we put in will be played for years, so sometimes things get a little ... spongy.
Edited by Vyrin on 9/11/2012 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]