Nature's Swiftness
Innervate
Mark of the Wild
Rebirth / Revive
Tranquility
Nature's Cure
Hibernate
Entangling Roots / Grasp
Shapeshifts (Bear, Sea Cow, Cat, Travel)
Barkskin
Stampeding Roar
Dash
Tree of Life / Treant
Wild Mushrooms / Bloom
Ironbark
Typhoon
Ursol's Vortex
Nature's Vigil
Might of Ursoc

30+ Hotkeys due to variable talents.

New Spell
Major Spell Rework

I'm lazy:
    I included only healing and utility skills that have been or will be used in a raid encounter.
    It's incomplete, I expect your setup to access feral and balance spells to not be retarded.
    If you were a priest in BC, you probably had over 25 hotkeys.
    Not included: racials.

So, how many buttons is too many?
Edited by Mintia on 9/12/2012 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Troll Druid
I'd say about 50
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Well, I've hit a wall as Holy on beta:
Heal
Flash Heal
Greater Heal
Binding Heal
Renew
Prayer of Healing
Prayer of Mending
Circle of Healing
Chakra: Sanctuary
Chakra: Serenity
Holy Words
Divine Hymn
Hymn of Hope
Leap of Faith
Guardian Spirit
Inner Fire
Inner Will
Fade
Shadowfiend
Arcane Torrent
Lightspring
Smite
Holy Fire
Psychic Scream
Fear Ward
Purify
Dispel Magic
Mass Dispel
Levitate
Void Shift
...I'm at 30 before I even get to the talents. I'm deliberately picking talents that don't require additional keybinds. There isn't really a choice in the lvl 15 or 90 tiers, though, which means I have to go up to 32 somehow. I had dropped Inner Fire/Will to click-buttons on live to make room for strafing keys, but I may just have to kill my strafing keys again to make room for talents. And God forbid someone gives me Symbiosis.

And I don't even keybind Fort, Rez, Shackle Undead, SW:Pain, SW: Death, Mind Sear, potions, healthstones (God I want to), mounts, the extra action button, my wand, focus or follow macros, and I lost my targeting macro/swap spot a long time ago.

Basically, I would say I have a hard cutoff at about 32.
Edited by Kaels on 9/12/2012 6:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think 30 is all I could keep track of. That's on top of the general keybinds like WASD etc. I still need to bind Dismount, but I'm kinda hesitant to because of all the fail stories about dismounting by accident /shrug

It's only on my shaman that I get up to 30 binds.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It is a LOT, but I find you only use the majority in pvp, not pve.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
The only ones on my list that I don't use regularly and often in PvE are Psychic Scream, Fear Ward, and Levitate. (And I still want to keep Lev available because every time I take it off the list, I fall off something and die. Having it keybound seems to protect me from ever having to use it.)

I literally can't find a single other spell on my list that I don't absolutely need in PvE. Mass Dispel is the best candidate, but it's sharing a keybind with Purify and Dispel Magic via macro, so removing it wouldn't really help me any.
Edited by Kaels on 9/13/2012 6:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm trying to train myself to bind a few extra abilities that aren't used as frequently. Are you using Shift + whatever for most of them?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have all of my binds on 1-5, with Shift, Alt, and CTRL modifiers. I generally follow similar mapping for most of my toons (i.e. Alt 1 is my brez on DK or Druid, Lay on Hands on my Pally, and Guardian Spirit/Pain Suppression on my priest).

I have a small bar (.70 scaled) bar in the top left of my screen which has (in order) Personal Modifiers (presence, stance, auras etc...), then raid buffs (MotW/Kings, Might, Fort) that last a while (something like Horn of Winter is keybound), then any normal Rez (can't exactly do that during an encounter), then 1 land and 1 flying mount, then any macros i'm using.

Below my main actions bars is a third row with mostly clickable events that may be needed in combat (off-spec/role abilities etc...)

Still leaves me using WASD, and none of my letters around it need to be keybound (I've had a few painful wipse because the healer misplaces his hand and popped tranq at the wrong time or similar).

But I do get the gist of this post. Healers tend to need fast reaction times, but in the case of MOST dps classes, they can react appropriately with only a few needed binds. Healers need to be able to react using quick with their entire toolkit, which sometimes sucks, and sometimes is what makes healing fun :)
Edited by Mýthandil on 9/13/2012 7:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'd say that I have precisely 2 more short cd abilities than I can adequately manage as Disc (I try anyway of course). Like Kaels, Unfortunately the Priest passive talents are thought to be inferior choices and I don't want to gimp myself.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Edited by Kirse on 9/13/2012 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/13/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Mýthandil
I have all of my binds on 1-5, with Shift, Alt, and CTRL modifiers. I generally follow similar mapping for most of my toons (i.e. Alt 1 is my brez on DK or Druid, Lay on Hands on my Pally, and Guardian Spirit/Pain Suppression on my priest).

The CTRL one I just havent been able to do, mostly because I like using it as a push to talk button. I'm about the same way for my other toons as well though. I could probably start utilizing ALT more.

Currently using 1-5, some Shift +, my 3 extra mouse buttons, Q, E, R, T, F, V, and a few modified click casts on Vuhdo for dispelling and PS. A few macros to roll in the purify/dispel/Mass and HR/Smite for extra space.

I'm not a PvPer, but I've been wanting to organize myself to be more effective in that area with my keybinds (I think I have my mouseovers pretty much handled) if I wanted to focus more on that aspect of the game at some point (this server is far more PvP oriented than the last was).
Edited by Maharei on 9/13/2012 8:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
09/13/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Kirse
As Holy couldn't you drop the keybinds for Holy Fire and Smite and turn them into mouseover macros for when you need to dps?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Whether it's a mouseover macro or not, it's still a keybind.

09/13/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Maharei
Are you using Shift + whatever for most of them?

I have a disability issue: I can't reliably hit modifier buttons because my little and ring fingers basically aren't functional.

I've been mostly compensating (I have a G700 mouse and a Merc Stealth keyboard, which combine to put 25 binds within easy reach, and I've been able to double-up enough spells via macro conditionals to fit all 30 or so spells on those 25 binds) but I'm reaching the end of my compensation ability.

I have been considering remapping one of my mouse thumb buttons to a modifier key, but that would wreak absolute hell on my muscle memory. Might be necessary, though. I'll try it one of these days.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As Holy couldn't you drop the keybinds for Holy[quote] Fire and Smite and turn them into mouseover macros for when you need to dps?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Whether it's a mouseover macro or not, it's still a keybind.

I barely slept last night and totally derped.
I meant turn them into a cast sequence macro and only bind when needed for dpsing. Not the most elegant system, but I imagine that you don't dps often. I know nothing about your magical 25 button mouse so I don't know if this is possible.
I admit that I click cast my least used abilities so I have many keybinds available (including things like rez, buffs, flasks, mind soothe, etc). When it comes to gameplay I'm still stumbling over myself trying to manage everything
Edited by Kirse on 9/13/2012 8:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Druid
For additional fun both of my guilds have changed from Vent to Mumble so I have to come up with additional keybinds for channel specific talking >.<

This is on top of the 30-40 keybinds for class spells/abilities. Ugh.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
The reason why I made this post is because I was messing around on another MMO with a limited keybinding system that made having more than 9 skills feel like a lot. Yet we have a ton of spells available, we don't use most of them on a regular but we have to keep them bound because a certain boss fight happens to be a lot easier with a specific skill.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well...

16 in VuhDo
12 in the main action bar

We don't have it bad at all here, unless you don't use anything other than the default UI. I had 30-odd keybinds on my Juggernaut in The Old Republic, and no VuhDo to carry most of that burden.

I think too many buttons happens when more than 20% of them have little to no worthwhile use.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
200, I believe that would be too many :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
1: Healing Wave
2: Greater Healing Wave
3: Healing Surge
4: Chain Heal
5: Riptide
6: Cleanse
7: Healing Rain
8: Ancestral Swiftness
9: Astral Shift
0: Water Shield
-: Gift of the Naaruu
=: Earth Shield

Numpad 1: Capacitor Totem
Numpad 2: Grounding Totem
Numpad 3: Stormlash Totem
Numpad 4: Spirit Link Totem
Numpad 5: Windwalk Totem
Numpad 6: Earthbind Totem
Numpad 7: Tremor Totem
Numpad 8: Healing Stream Totem
Numpad 9: Healing Tide Totem
Numpad 0: Mana Tide Totem
Numpad /: Searing Totem
Numpad *: Magma Totem

F1: Unleash Elements
F2: Hex
F3: Bind Elemental
F9: Trinket

I have a bunch of other crap on my function keys but I use it infrenquently enough that I usually click them instead. Have a bunch of other clicky stuff on my sidebars too.

I'm trying to come up with a new setup that includes some DPS abilities that doesn't make my fingers dance more than they already do. Be good for pvp I think. I have a second hotbar I pull up that has flame shock, lava burst, and lightning bolt on it for pve encounters where I want to do some DPS but it takes a few seconds to shift between them.
Edited by Kessiaan on 9/14/2012 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]