Another "What tank to play?" thread

85 Tauren Warrior
Hello tanks. As the title says, I'm looking for input about what tank class to play once MoP hits.
I've looked over some of the other threads and see the common answer is usually "Play what you want".

But here's the catch for me; Due to a real-life disability, my interaction with a keyboard is a bit limited compared to your average player. And due to that, excess keybindings is a detriment to my play and I usually rely on the 1-7 keys, two-til-four other keybinds and mouseclicks to play.

So my question then is, what tank would be most suited for me? Which one can I get away with the least amount of keybinds, and potentially have a buffer for when I need to mouse-click abilities?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Of course the correct answer is play what you want, however having said that I think a DK might work for you, although I'm sure any class could set key-binds similar to how I have them.

While I don't have a disability, I have large hands which makes certain key-bindings difficult for me. Any shift + a number key I cannot pull off.

I'm not the most hardcore raider, I think I was most impressed with my pre-nerf Rag kill, (I know... not that impressive) but I used the following set-up for firelands:

For my main abilities:

1- Heart strike
2- Death strike
3- Icy touch
4- Plague strike
F- Runestrike
X- Bone shield
C - Outbreak
G - Deathgrip
` - Horn of winter
Q - Mind Freeze

The abilities I used most were 1-4 then the secondary ones or ones with longer cool-downs I bound to letters (which were still easy to hit)

I macroed Lichborn + Deathcoil spam to mouse-button 3.
And Vampiric Blood + Runetap to mouse button 4.

I also got the add-on Extra Bars. I put Icebound Fortitude, Anti-magic Shell, Dancing rune weapon, Trinkets and Empower rune weapon on it, and I would click them.

I basically just clicked my big defensive CD's and it worked for me.

But like I said I'm sure any tank class could do it the same way and it would work.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Id say a DK is a good choice, I can usually get away with less buttons on this guy than my other tanks tho its possible if not too much has changed for apllys with the MoP patch if you can use clique/heal bot for your hands you should be pretty good there too.

id say definately stay away from the warrior as to the others I cannot comment since ive not played them at anything past 70.
Reply Quote
I'd comment but apparently I'm not allowed to due to my progression and main posting toon.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/13/2012 12:10 PMPosted by Alifer
I'd comment but apparently I'm not allowed to due to my progression and main posting toon.

Haha...

Honestly? Guardian can be played at 85%-90% efficiency on most content (read non-Heroic/Hardmode) with some simple macros. We don't have a crap ton of buttons to worry about and the difference between say 60% SD uptime and 70% SD uptime shouldn't really impact you or your Healers heavily.

Guardians for a simple Tank.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I would say paladin.

In all honesty you can get away with keybinding: Taunt, Hammer (aoe), Shield of Righteous, Word of Glory and Avengers Shield. And you can simply click your Wings, 2 Damage Reduction cds, and Consecration+Holy Wrath.

Leveling up you will even be able to self-heal any instance you que for, that is still true all the way to 77 (my current level with this toon) without doing much. Judge + hammer + 2 pt WoG still gives 80%-ish of your hp bar

You wont be the best tank to ever play the game, but as long as you move away from the bad things and self heal yourself a bit, you wont run into problems.
Reply Quote
:D

In all honesty, I like Guardians, Brewmasters, and Blood DKs the most. The shield tanks feel odd to me and I'm just clunkier with them.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Hah, so in short it's still "whatever you feel like-- except warriors".
I'm leaning towards DK or paladin so far, but I'm hoping to get a little more pala input before making a decision.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :)
Reply Quote
64 Draenei Death Knight
I havent tried druid or monk really yet. Warriors feel weird to me and I like the way paladins feel. I think paladins would feel better if HotR didnt require a target though. That is my one gripe about them.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
09/13/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Fasc

Haha...

Honestly? Guardian can be played at 85%-90% efficiency on most content (read non-Heroic/Hardmode) with some simple macros. We don't have a crap ton of buttons to worry about and the difference between say 60% SD uptime and 70% SD uptime shouldn't really impact you or your Healers heavily.

Guardians for a simple Tank.

I'm pretty sure I can tank by just wildly bashing my palm (or face when my arm gets tired) into the number keys at the moment. Totally gonna try it for next week's raid.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

(Don't know what your physical limitations are, but) have you considered looking into a 14 button mouse such as the Razer Naga or Logitech G600? I run everything through a Naga with alt key macros which makes it very easy.

(Sorry for editing the quote)

I was going to suggest the Naga myself, I use it with Shift, Alt, and Ctrl modifiers as well and it is really nice.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Alas, the more buttons on a mouse the worse it is to use for me. I'm pretty much bound to keyboard + simple mouse if I want to be useful.

I get the impression so far that paladins usually have fewer buttons to push during a non-eventful run, plus they're more predictable than a DK. Any thoughts on that?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
With about two macros, you can master the Druid tank rotation as well as defensive cooldowns.

Just a thought.

It really is that simple.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
With about two macros, you can master the Druid tank rotation as well as defensive cooldowns.

Just a thought.

It really is that simple.

These macros.

Show me them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]