Best "Entry Level" Tank

I'd like to give tanking a try again, and I am looking for the opinions of the veteran tanks on what would be a simpler tank to start with. By that I mean less buttons and procs to babysit so I can improve in the other tank duties (ie. awareness, add wrangling, not letting the healer get eaten).

I'm looking for intuitive play and good design, not numbers. This is not a discussion on which one is tougher or does better dps, or things like that.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Honestly, they're all pretty simple.

Warrior - Press ragey buttons until you have enough rage to use a defendy button.
Druid - See warrior.
Paladin: Press holy powery buttons until if you have enough holy power to use a defendy button.
Death Knight: If you have runes, Death Strike is a defendy button. If you don't, Rune Strike a lot until you do.

Basic mindset. Now tanking itself on the other hand demands that you are aware of your surroundings, damage intake, healing intake and the fight in general and when to best use said defendy buttons, but that's pretty much it.
Edited by Rijdot on 9/12/2012 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
09/12/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Rijdot
Honestly, they're all pretty simple.

The easiest tank to play with is the one you have played with. At its worst, you might not know exactly what to do the first time, but over time, you'll get it. I know that in my first heroic after the recent changes that I was a pretty terribad tank, but after we finished up I read the tool tips for each ability and was fine.

I do miss HS spam though.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Warlock
I am trying out Goblin Warrior primarily because I wanted to try out goblin starting area. I too have wondered which class I should go with Warrior or Paladin to get into tanking and try out something new. I was going to try Death Knight but starting at 55 I would be very lost at first and probably end up getting frustrated.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I used to say Paladin.. now...

I'd say level a bear to level 55 then switch to a blood DK. AFAIK the DK mechanics have changed the least from Cata to patch 5.0.4.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I used to say Paladin.. now...

I'd say level a bear to level 55 then switch to a blood DK. AFAIK the DK mechanics have changed the least from Cata to patch 5.0.4.

At lower levels bears can be painful to tank with but they're worth the wait. 1 thing I don't like about the DK is they give you a bunch of abilities all at once that you've got to somehow figure out in a hurry where the classes that start at level 1 can ease into it and get to know their abilities a little slower. I think a healer might be well suited to a paladin because a big part of pally functionality is throwing boosts out to other people in your group (I really suck at this on my pally). I don't know much about warriors but don't be afraid of rage.
Reply Quote
I think overall a bear would be the easiest to tank on.

DKs are pretty easy too once you get the swing of things.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Death Knights have always been easy. Just spam that Death Strike.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I'd have to agree that bears are pretty simple to learn Taking physical DMG use savage roar, Alot of magical dmg frenzied regen when you can. They did get an increase in cd's mostly health regens but alot of them are 3 min 2 min cd's so there ez to weave in.

Dk is easy to play but to master a dk takes awhile ITs not just spam DS when u got the runes anymore. gaming runes. knowing when to death strike mastering dancing rune weapon, AMS the list goes on. Alot of the DK cd's have synergy and specific times to be used.

Its quite easy differentiating a beginner DK a decent Dk a great DK and a dk like riggnaros.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
DK or Paladin.

Please take advice from people who actually play the class(es). Not level 11 forum trolls or priests who have no heroic raid tanking experience.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Literally just got this character to 85 and heroic gears, been having no problems tanking. Relatively simple process, also have an 85 DK tank but i much prefer the warrior playstyle.

To be honest, all the classes are relatively similiar in ease. However they do have slight differences that make them unique and the only way to find out if you like the class to try it out. level a couple of tanks to 30 or so to get a basic vibe.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
DK or Paladin.

Please take advice from people who actually play the class(es). Not level 11 forum trolls or priests who have no heroic raid tanking experience.

You're hilarious in any thread, good sir.

To the OP, I encourage you to mess around with each of them and get a feel for what you like, especially since you're thinking more from a play standpoint than from any hard numbers. That's really nothing but your own personal tastes. Only you know what playstyle you enjoy. For instance, I still love my bear, and have loved it since I took up tanking in t8, even through its variations. Yes, yes, Mawl, I know my opinion is invalidated by my lack of Hspine kills, but there it is anyway. Hold on, I'm laughing again and it's getting hard to type...okay, I'm back.

Bears at low levels are, as was stated earlier, a real trial, but that's more because the times at which they get their abilities makes approximately no sense. At max level, they can be just as enjoyable as anything else. I've tanking varying levels of content with three of the four current classes (I haven't gotten bored enough to set up my DK yet), and I prefer bear and paladin, but I know just as many warriors who enjoy what they've got. None of them is particularly hard, but they are each a bit different.

Good luck. :)
Reply Quote
I love the classists, should I post on my mage who has cleared heroic DS? I mean c'mon I've already had to post on my DK to show I've actually tanked...

Some peoples' mothers should really have offered to swallow...

edit: yes, you did insult me first, just a heads up.

DK or Paladin.

Edited by Alifer on 9/13/2012 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
There is no best entry level tank. All of them are mind-numbingly simple.

Go with whichever class feels the most iconically cool.

Paladins are righteous defenders. Knights who use the power of justice and good to save the day. If you want to be the chivalrous knight in shining armor who saves the damsel in distress, maybe a Paladin is for you.
Monks will be simple philosophers who enjoy a good drink now and then. They know martial arts but espouse humility. They might get into a lot of fights but in the end they do not know hate and live to be very old men.
Death Knights are cruel undead abominations who use death magic to survive all threats. They say that if you stare into the abyss long enough, the abyss will stare back into you. Think about that next time you see the cold, lifeless eyes of a Death Knight.
Druids are protectors of the forest, calling upon the power of nature to save the world. They shapeshift into various animals but particularly bears in your case. They can be vicious and passionate but above all they are good.
Warriors were formerly brutal, visceral conquerors who could decapitate a man with a blunt weapon. Have you ever decapitated a man with a blunt weapon? It's not easy. But now they're pansies who cower in fear behind a shield AND NEVER !@#$ING PUSH HEROIC STRIKE EVER BECAUSE ULTIMATUM DOESNT PROC ENOUGH.
Edited by Kerrath on 9/13/2012 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock

This right here cracks me right the hell up, because A) it really just shows what little time you've actually spent on these boards and B) most people here actually know who I am.
Edited by Rijdot on 9/13/2012 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'd say paladin, cuz the data disc throw is op for threat (and damage early on). Not to mention building up holy power if fairly easy now. As opposed to building up 60 rage for the other two classes.

And because that was the first class I tanked in WoW with. A real life friend introduced me to WoW, so he referred me, then I leveled up as healer, and around 8 hours into WoW I was able to tank just fine (at this point we were in the 66-68 level range, I remember tanking Magister's Terrace).
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
This paladin is extremely easy to tank with! It doesnt hurt that we get some cool armors to reforge into as well :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]