Are challenge modes going to be nerfed at all

Community Manager
09/12/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Doromil
Seriously blizzard, if CHALLENGE modes are ever nerfed to the point say like the cataclysm heroic dungeons were, what would be the point in calling them CHALLENGE mode runs?

That isn't the intention. Now, there could be times were a particular dungeon has a specific mechanic, pull, or encounter that is more difficult than we intended in all difficulties. In cases like that you may see us make adjustments to the dungeon across the board.

But, to be clear, our intent isn't to make Challenge Mode dungeons more accessible or easier over time. In part this is also why, as you acquire more powerful gear over the course of the expansion, it will be scaled down in this setting so that the challenge remains roughly equivalent from the start of the expansion to the end. We also don't allow matchmaking for them, as they're intended to be difficult for organized groups.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Will challenge modes get nerfed someday because of many players who want the mount and transmog wont be able to do it?
We are going to fight that as hard as we can. I love challenge modes. Here are some quotes (as far as I remember) from our internal testers.

"Challenge modes are the most stressful thing I have ever done in Wow. And I love it!"
"Challenge modes make me use every one of my class abilities. No other part of the game does that."
"Challenge modes are like phase 4 Ragnaros... that lasts for 20 to 30 minutes."
"There's that moment after you beat Ook-Ook where your chest tightens a minute because you know what's coming next. That damn rabbit."
"Challenge modes make me wish I could cast spells while casting other spells. Even off the GCD doesn't come soon enough."

Now, those are skilled players going for gold. You can wipe a bit and still get bronze. You can stop and strategize and still get silver.

^^^ I can't wait for challenge modes :D
Reply Quote
Also this is just sad, people are asking for it to be nerfed already.

How about trying to get better instead of expecting everything to be brought down to your level ? If all this complaining went to concentrating on getting better, players would be professionals.

Well, to be fair, it's a game, not a profession. For most of us.

Still, it's way too early to be calling for nerfs on it. And this is coming from someone who'll be lucky to ever even see a bronze.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/12/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Zarhym
Seriously blizzard, if CHALLENGE modes are ever nerfed to the point say like the cataclysm heroic dungeons were, what would be the point in calling them CHALLENGE mode runs?

That isn't the intention. Now, there could be times were a particular dungeon has a specific mechanic, pull, or encounter that is more difficult than we intended in all difficulties. In cases like that you may see us make adjustments to the dungeon across the board.

But, to be clear, our intent isn't to make Challenge Mode dungeons more accessible or easier over time. In part this is also why, as you acquire more powerful gear over the course of the expansion, it will be scaled down in this setting so that the challenge remains roughly equivalent from the start of the expansion to the end. We also don't allow matchmaking for them, as they're intended to be difficult for organized groups.

Awwww yeah! :D
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
As Watcher posted, Challenge Modes are perfectly completable in their current form. You can wipe a few times and still get bronze. If they were hard enough to the point of non-completion, then perhaps they'd need more turning, but they sound fine.

He did admit there will be a slight and power creep with better trinket procs, profession bonuses, class balance changes, and what not over time, but it won't be that significant. If I recall correctly, set bonuses are being disabled, which would have been the main power creep concern.
Edited by Digerati on 9/12/2012 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Still, it's way too early to be calling for nerfs on it. And this is coming from someone who'll be lucky to ever even see a bronze.
Challenge Modes, from my experience, are like Heroic : Old Hillsbrad, in Burning Crusade. It takes and extreme amount of teamwork to do, but none the less, it is doable. Theres no carrying, everyone has to pull their own weight and youll be expected to play the class to the best of your ability, its challenging. That was THE most difficult Heroic in Burning Crusade.

Im not trying to be mean or anything but seriously, asking for nerfs before its even released is just ridiculous.

And I'm agreeing with you.
Reply Quote

And I'm agreeing with you.
I know, im just trying to give it something to be compared to lol

The second part is just a reiteration cause im honestly a bit concerned that people would do that .

No worries. I can understand the concern, but it sounds like that's not what they're going for with this, so let's enjoy the chance to be optimistic. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Was anyone in here even asking for Challenge Mode to be nerfed?

All I saw was people that simply assumed that it would be.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
09/12/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Tianjan

Irrelevant, the challenge will be accessible to everyone, it's up to the player(s) to perform
Reply Quote

Challenge Modes, from my experience, are like Heroic : Old Hillsbrad, in Burning Crusade. It takes and extreme amount of teamwork to do, but none the less, it is doable. Theres no carrying, everyone has to pull their own weight and youll be expected to play the class to the best of your ability, its challenging. That was THE most difficult Heroic in Burning Crusade.

Im not trying to be mean or anything but seriously, asking for nerfs before its even released is just ridiculous.
Who is asking for nerfs in this thread???
Reply Quote
Was anyone in here even asking for Challenge Mode to be nerfed?

All I saw was people that simply assumed that it would be.
No one is.

People are not reading for comprehension, is all.
Reply Quote
09/12/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Baer

Irrelevant, the challenge will be accessible to everyone, it's up to the player(s) to perform

I was actually commenting on that outside the context of the current thread, pardon. Not in any way that had bearing on the challenge modes. I just found the professional notion to be a bit extreme.
Reply Quote

valor gear costs between 1400 and 2100 about the same as it does in cata.

Check MMochampions for exact details,

The new valor upgrade system is not coming in till 5.1 at the earliest if at all.

Heroics 30, 60 for first of day.

Challenge modes 30, 60 for gold,50 for silver, 40 for bronze, 40 for daily challenge,

So 130 best case, 110 worst.
Stop peddling this crap. The point system isn't even fully implemented yet and there are MULTIPLE ways to earn JP and Valor - and obtain epic gear - that are not just through CMs and Heroic Dungeons, as I demonstrated to you here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6551955480?page=4#75

The sky is not falling and you pulling stuff out of your butt to make it seem like it is the most disingenuous thing I've seen around here in some time.

Old information is old.

we now have the updated information.

at that point it was heroics 30, lfr 90 and dailys 5, scenarios 0

we now know thats wrong here is the correct information

Heroics 30, scenarios 15, dailys 5, LFR 90, with double for the first heroic/scenario of the day

Which only really helps if you play 7 days a week.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Hey if challenge modes are cool and go well, will we get challenge raids like AQ40 and MC??? If so you guys should have challenge mode raid achievements for each raid and dungeon just basically saying you did em cause I think that would be cool and well worth my time to play.
Reply Quote
43 Goblin Priest
09/12/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Zarhym
We also don't allow matchmaking for them, as they're intended to be difficult for organized groups.

That's a bit disappointing for the low pop servers. Is it a fair to compare Challenge Mode to the early release of ZA/ZG in Cataclysm (for non-raid equipped players)? Because as long as the clock doesn't start until the first pull, I feel groups could accurately assess everyone. Albeit, trolls could pull early, laugh, and dance as the clock runs. (Maybe GMs could call zone disruption on that one).

Ah, but like I said, it's only disappointing. I wouldn't call it breaking.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]