Would it be worth the faction change....

89 Blood Elf Priest
Just to be alliance for world pvp. World PvP is what drew me to the game. Until wrath I played on a more balanced server and had a whole lot of fun. But around the time ICC came out my RL friends and I decided to make a guild. However, some members in my group of friends couldn't afford a transfer and a faction change so me and a couple of my buddies cme to cho'gall and faction changed to horde. However, this eliminated my favorite part of the game completely. I haven't had any encounters with the opposing faction out in the wilds and my patience grows thin.
I started reading server forums recently and playing less. It has come to my attention that although playing alliance on cho'gall is hard, you basically control when and where world pvp occurs. And I just have a few questions.
I am a jack of all trades, so in addition to world pvp I do like to raid, albeit casually, so I was wondering if finding people to raid with was hard?

I hear that you guys have really tight knit guilds (which I really like) and I was wondering if there were any guilds who would accept a horde reroll or xfer like me?

And overall if you were in my position would you faction change to Alliance?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
i'm also on the same boat with you my friend
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Priest
It's a tough spot to be in right?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Right now some things are very blurry but I will do my best to answer.

Alliance side is as dead as it has ever been and my guess is we will see an uptick with MoP, but nothing is being done to strengthen our economy so it is likely to stay that way. I could be very wrong on that (I hope so). We have one guild left that has raided but now seems to be on hiatus, and one more looking to start raiding in MoP. As far as I can tell our organized World PVP is pretty sporadic unless you count our Bowling League in the Zoo. I will confirm that the guilds are great and very close-knit. You would have no trouble finding a home and be eagerly welcomed if you want to check us out. But it is hard to really explain the Cho'gall Alliance side unless you see it first hand. Lots of people come join us, enjoy it but then move on when they realize our lousy economy and small population can't support the end game fun. I always suggest people roll an alt and talk to people. get a first-hand look at our AH to see how really bad it is, and do a /who Stormwind, /who 85, and /who eachclassoneatatime, to really appreciate how empty our side is. Feel free to join our zoo chat (/join zoo) and we will answer questions and hook you up. It is much better to check us out with a reroll than pay for a faction change, and not like it.

The other thing is all aspects of World PVP are being redefined. The World itself is populated differently with all this zoning stuff. The Players on Horde side are being redefined largely because Thunderlord Horde are much more active in PVP. The Players on Alliance side have increased but I have yet to really get connected with them. Thunderlord Alliance seem pretty similar to Cho'gall Horde. They have numbers but don't leave the city much. The WorldDefense alarms on our side are ringing constantly now so there is definitely more activity. The alarms have largely been in places like Hellfire, Halaa, or lowbie zone quest hubs, etc. Without HGWT it really is hard for us to check all the sirens going off and tell you how good the PVP is out there right now. All the activity could just be a symptom of pre-xpac boredom of course. I point it out because it is an option for you without faction change. You could jump on board the FacebookWoW trend and group with new Horde friends using Battletag/RealID. I guess you could make a level 1 Alliance side to see where the alarms are going off then jump back to Horde side to hook up with those folks.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for a great information filled response Lunasea :)
I actually have been considering this for a couple weeks and I have an alt in your guild actually (nyeerah). I also have a low level alt in CSS I just don't have the time to level another character (college). So for now faction change is my only option.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Cool. I am glad to help. I will make note to send Nyeerah some extra cookies when I log on. :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Okay now I want to turn this back around at you Hordies. It looks to me Blizzard is not making any obvious changes in MoP to help us fix things over here on Alliance so I am back to "fix-it-ourselves" brainstorming ideas.

Bear with me on this but I am still on this personal, and perhaps hopeless. mission to help fix Cho'gall Alliance. As a result I am kind of nerdy about checking the population data on sites like Realmpop.com. If you use that site you have sortable data for all the realms and the numbers look pretty solid in a macro view. I forget the exact numbers but when I first checked the site a few years back I think there were only 1 or 2 PVP realms that were more than 50% Alliance and the overall population on PVP realms was split 70% Horde and 30% Alliance. If you look at the current data there are now 21 PVP servers where the Alliance is over 50%, and the overall populations have shifted to 57% Horde and 41,7% Alliance (and 1.3% Other?).

So it is clear there is some balancing going on but the numbers raise the questions... Why is there a shift from Horde to Alliance overall? and Why haven't we seen a similar shift on Cho'gall?

The answer to the first question is pretty easy... racials, especially the Human's Every Man For Himself. If you frequent the PVP forums at all you will occasionally see a thread asking for a nerf to EMFH. The thread will likely originate from some Horde player who would rather delete his toon than faction change to Alliance. In the min-max world of competitive PVP, EMFH is the go-to racial that is make-or-break for high level PVP. Opening a slot for a 2nd trinket is just that powerful. If you dig a bit deeper in some of the realm forums you see further confirmation. There are cases of hard-core PVP guilds that faction changed to Alliance for EMFH. In some cases, many sheep followed them and population shifts have been pretty massive.

So my question for you Hordies is why haven't we seen any of this on Cho'gall? My guess is nobody would want to be the first to step in this black hole over here, unless he knows many more would follow. Now I am not trying to ninja Horde players from current guilds, but if like-minded people really want to get more serious PVP, the Alliance side seems to be a great place to do so. We just need enough people to stabilize our economy and restore the foundation of our player base. I honestly don't believe it would take that many people either. If we could just get 50 more active 85 players with a strong PVP interest it would be a huge boost. 100 would be even better and if we could get in the 200-300 range we may actually be able to kickstart our AH. Kholek and Danzx seem to have tippy-toed to the edge of the black hole. Are there more who would like to join them and take the leap together?
Edited by Lunasea on 9/12/2012 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Priest
I have no idea. But I am hoping that when I jump my friends will follow and that is in the realm of possibility so here's 6 or 7.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Too tired to read wall of text but:

I recently rolled an ally DK (my first ever alliance toon in years of playing) and the guilds and community seem very tight-nit and close. It's a really nice group of people.

But if you're just re-rolling for WPVP, the cross-server shenanigans should make up for the deficit of alliance on Cho'gall. There's constantly groups of 5-10 max level toons popping up in random zones.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
KILL ALL RED!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I ain't gonna lie. You faction change now, you'll be experiencing this in MoP!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5101/5567969318_4f0473ba48_b.jpg

Also, I think I read some where that Cross Realm Zones won't be on for the new areas in MoP, but I could be wrong.

Now with that sad, come on over. :P
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
So faction change AFTER 90?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Also, I think I read some where that Cross Realm Zones won't be on for the new areas in MoP, but I could be wrong.

This is correct. CRZ won't be available for Pandaria until a bit after launch. I don't think they've said how soon or late after launch, but that's the plan for now.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
09/13/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Sanctions

No offense meant dude, but you ugly.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

This is correct. CRZ won't be available for Pandaria until a bit after launch. I don't think they've said how soon or late after launch, but that's the plan for now.

CRZ won't affect Pandaria unless the zone has a low population. Most of the current Cata zones don't have cross realm because they are still fairly populated with people farming, questing, etc. The only way that I can see CRZ working for Pandaria is for overpopulated zones and you move to copy of the zone instance if Blizzard implements that. If for some reason some of the new zones become underpopulated quickly we'll start seeing some others.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/13/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Sanctions

unless you have balls of steel when it comes to being camped.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/16/2012 08:25 PMPosted by Darenyon

unless you have balls of steel when it comes to being camped.

You lucky paladins! they brought back bubble hearth!!! I'm so jealous
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
well theres always shadowmeld + flightform/cat stealth.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/17/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Darenyon

Oh I know, just nothing is more miserable for the enemy than watching helplessly as a Paladin just hearthstones away from you :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/17/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Taladol

Oh I know, just nothing is more miserable for the enemy than watching helplessly as a Paladin just hearthstones away from you :P

its pretty satisfying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]