How to fix your Shadow Dance bar.

100 Human Rogue
Update: 5.2 PTR has a fix for stance:2 (vanish). I still need to confirm if this is on live yet.

Lots of people are having trouble getting their shadow dance bar setup now that dance and stealth bars are now combined. If you preferred to have different abilities setup for dance and stealth separately, you can use the [stance] options on your macros.

I should note that the simplest solution is good bar management, and using [nostealth] conditionals on the stelath bar for dance specific stuff. It should get you where you want, without much fuss.

So, if you have a button that you like to be dance only, but something else in stealth, simply macro that looks like this:

$showtooltiip
/cast [nostealth] <dance specific ability>; <stealth ability>

For the dirty details, here's the goods:

[stance:3] is still good ol' dance. So, you can simply use it in any place that you want an ability to be only used during dance. ([stealth] is not true in stance:3.)

[stance:2] is Vanish. ([stealth] is also true in stance:2)

[stance:1] is plain ol' stealth. You may be able to get away with using [stealth] also.

[stance] applies to any of our stances besides 0 (Which alternatively is [nostance] and [stance:0])

Examples:

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:3] Gouge; [stealth] Sap; Blind

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:1] Sap; [stance:3] Gouge; Blind

#showtooltip
/cast [nostealth] Blind; [stance:3] Gouge; Sap

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:3] Gouge
/cast [stance:1] Sap
/cast [stance:0] Blind

All of those do the exact same thing. In dance and vanish, it will cast gouge, else if in stealth it will cast sap, else it will cast blind. So, as you can see, you have a fair ammount of flexibility.

So, fear not brave souls, you can indeed have your shadow dance bar, and still not have to set it up in 8 seconds, or wait around for 60 seconds. You have not lost functionality. You just need to adapt. :)

Hope this helps. Feel free to drop some lines here if you are having issues rewriting your macros.

Note: The macro is an example. I didn't say it was a good macro.

Remember you can prefix any [option] with "no" to negate it. For instance, [nostealth] is the same as stance:0, or more correctly is true when [stealth] is not true.]

TLDR Notes:

[stance:0] is no Stealth, Shadow Dance or Vanish
[stance:1] is Stealth
[stance:2] is Vanish
[stance:3] is Shadow Dance

[stealth] is Stealth or Vanish
[stance] is Stealth, Shadow Dance or Vanish
Edited by Aeriwen on 7/5/2013 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Thank you, this actually fixes everything I completely forgot SD was stance 3... I thought it was stance 2 lmao.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Just an FYI. Ever since 5.0 vanish is actually baked into stance 3 with dance :(

Stance 2 is just an extra stance for stealth for little to no reason.

Main work around is to just use [nostealth] and stealth macros.

For example, I changed (Edit: There is no point of even having the 2's in the stances, but I just had them from prior to 5.0)
#showtooltip [stance:0/1/2] Sap; [stance:3] Cheap Shot
/cast [nomod,stance:1/2] Sap
/cast [mod:shift,stance:0/1/2/3,@focus] Sap
/cast [nomod,stance:3] Cheap Shot
/cast [mod:alt.stance:3] Rupture

Ends up being sap from stealth/cheap shot for dance, with shift modifier for focus sap and an alt modifier for rupture. Problem is if I vanish sap would become cheapshot because of vanish being baked into stance 3.

to

#showtooltip [stealth] Sap; [nostealth] Cheap Shot
/cast [nomod,stealth] Sap
/cast [mod:shift,stealth,@focus] Sap
/cast [mod:shift,nostealth,@focus] Sap
/cast [nomod,nostealth] Cheap Shot
/cast [mod:alt.nostealth] Rupture

Fix's that issue.
Edited by Nahjx on 9/12/2012 2:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Just an FYI. Ever since 5.0 vanish is actually baked into stance 3 with dance :(

Stance 2 is just an extra stance for stealth for little to no reason.

Hrm, I didn't notice this in testing. I was verifying things as i went along.

Brb. Off to the batcave!
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
09/12/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Nahjx

I just confirmed this, thank you for the correction. I'll modify the OP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
#showtooltip
/casy [stealth] Sap; [stance:3] Gouge; Blind

Minor, but fix it so it says /cast
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Ends up being sap from stealth/cheap shot for dance, with shift modifier for focus sap and an alt modifier for rupture. Problem is if I vanish sap would become cheapshot because of vanish being baked into stance 3.

to

#showtooltip [stealth] Sap; [nostealth] Cheap Shot
/cast [nomod,stealth] Sap
/cast [mod:shift,stealth,@focus] Sap
/cast [mod:shift,nostealth,@focus] Sap
/cast [nomod,nostealth] Cheap Shot
/cast [mod:alt.nostealth] Rupture

Fix's that issue.

I believe you may experience the same behavior with this:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt] Rupture; [mod:shift, @focus] [stance:1] Sap; Cheap Shot

Simply changing old macros assuming the old stealth behavior with stance:1 would clear up your issue I believe. You've included a lot of "extra stuff" in your macro. And, yes, the tooltip should work properly.
Edited by Aeriwen on 9/12/2012 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
#showtooltip
/casy [stealth] Sap; [stance:3] Gouge; Blind

Minor, but fix it so it says /cast

fix't ty :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
/cast [stance:0] Kidney Shot
/cast [stance:1] cleartarget
/cast [stance:1] targetenemyplayer
/cast [stance:3] Kidney shot

how would i get this to work? ks in dance and nostealth with spammable sap macro?
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
#showtooltip
/cleartarget [stance:1]
/targetenemyplayer [stance:1]
/cast [stance:1] Sap; Kidney Shot
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Bump, because the complaint threads are still going. :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Looks like BT can separate them again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Woot! thanks you, Aeriwen. I'd hug you if I didn't think you'd get really creeped out about it.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Excellent thread, and very informative. I already knew about the stances but this inspired me to change around my UI from this:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Nashiu/WoWScrnShot_091712_065925.jpg

To a much cleaner this:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Nashiu/WoWScrnShot_091712_094531.jpg

I achieved that by making a bunch of [stealth],[nostealth], and modifier macros on the right side that I now keep hidden since they aren't cooldowns and I don't need to keep track of them:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Nashiu/WoWScrnShot_091712_092623.jpg

Cheers!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Excellent thread, and very informative. I already knew about the stances but this inspired me to change around my UI from this:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Nashiu/WoWScrnShot_091712_065925.jpg

To a much cleaner this:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Nashiu/WoWScrnShot_091712_094531.jpg

I achieved that by making a bunch of [stealth],[nostealth], and modifier macros on the right side that I now keep hidden since they aren't cooldowns and I don't need to keep track of them:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Nashiu/WoWScrnShot_091712_092623.jpg

Cheers!

I recently did a bit of OCD changing myself, but it wasn't mainly macro related. I just went ahead and moved a lot of my scripts to my second bottom left and swap to it with arrow keys if I want to hit scripts.
/swapactionbar 1 2

It allowed me to stop showing the 2right action bars via unchecking them in the default ui. They still function when unchecked, just don't show up.

http://i.imgur.com/jHcdr.jpg
Edited by Nahj on 10/26/2012 9:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:3] Gouge; [stance] Sap; Blind

#showtooltip
/cast [stealth] Sap; [stance:3] Gouge; Blind

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

All of those do the exact same thing. In dance, and only dance, it will cast gouge, else if in stealth it will cast sap, else it will cast blind. So, as you can see, you have a fair ammount of flexibility.

As you stated, vanish is also treated as stance:3. So, 3 of the 4 macros will use gouge during vanish.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue

#showtooltip
/cast [stance:3] Gouge; [stance] Sap; Blind

#showtooltip
/cast [stealth] Sap; [stance:3] Gouge; Blind

#showtooltip

#showtooltip

All of those do the exact same thing. In dance, and only dance, it will cast gouge, else if in stealth it will cast sap, else it will cast blind. So, as you can see, you have a fair ammount of flexibility.

As you stated, vanish is also treated as stance:3. So, 3 of the 4 macros will use gouge during vanish.

Edited to remove the error.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Bumpity!
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Updated the OP to include an undocumented change to stance:2, vanish. It is working again on the 5.2 PTR. I still need to confirm if it working on live or if this is new.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]