Am i on Track?

85 Goblin Shaman
Soooo I really want to get into California Polytechnic University San Luis Obispo, and im wondering if i am on track(my grades slipped 2nd sem freshman year of HS)
Freshman year
Honors English A/B
Introduction to Engineering/design A/B
Biology A/B
Geometry A/A
P.E. A/A
Spanish 1 A/A

Sophmore
Honor English A/B
Honors Chemistry A/A
World Cultures (history) A/A
Principles of Engineering A/A
Spanish 2 A/A
Algebra 2 A/A

Junior
Pre-Calculus A/A
Honors Physics A/A
AP US History A/B
AP English 11 B/B
Spanish 3 A/A
Biotechnical Engineering A/A

SAT1 1320
The 3 Engineering classes ive taken are part of a PLTW program, should it help? Also i have Lots of school programs/clubs ive taken part in, no volunteer work specifically engineering though but clubs i have engineering.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Your college counselor would be in a better position to tell you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
09/15/2012 05:58 AMPosted by Snozberries
Your college counselor would be in a better position to tell you.

Or your high school counselor (who may be the same person as ^ depending on your school).
Also, it depends in part on what subject/degree program you are interested in applying for. Your SAT score looks good, and the fact that you have actively been pursuing engineering classes may help (cannot hurt).

A couple of tips though:

1) Make sure you have really, really good letters of Recommendation. These tend to count a lot more than people usually think.

2) Do some kind of community service, even if it's small, if you can do so with out hurting your grades. Academic institutions love that for some dumb reason.

3) Make your resume now, and update it frequently. Since you are in high school, make sure to include any awards you have gotten for academia or important academic competition (like having good grades or winning regionals/state in debate or a robotics competition). Include things both in the field you want to pursue and outside said field.

4) If you are not accepted, you can still be later. However, it may be worth while to take core classes (like english, history, college algebra, etc) at a community college where it's cheaper, and it will show the place you are interested in that you can achieve at the secondary education level.

5) Try to write a good statement letter; write it so that it's memorable, but not over the top or cheesy.

6) Visit the college if you can, and meet faculty in the department you are interested in. Try to get them to become familiar with you. This *could* help in admissions. The admissions usually talk to the department, and if you meet the basic requirements, it's up to the department to accept you, usually.
Edited by Nachtstier on 9/15/2012 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/15/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Nachtstier
Or your high school counselor (who may be the same person as ^ depending on your school).

Oh, I skipped over the part where the OP said they were applying to college. Gogo scanning through stuff >_<
Edited by Snozberries on 9/15/2012 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
09/15/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Snozberries

Oh, I skipped over the part where the OP said they were applying to college. Gogo scanning through stuff >_<

Yeah, but if he knows where he want's to go, then he can still talk to the undergrad adviser for that dept, so still a good tip.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Rogue
What's the point?

A college degree doesn't guarantee a "good" job in the Obama economy of onerous regulations and confiscatory rates of taxation on job creators. After you graduate, there's a good chance you'll be waiting on me while I'm at dinner and you'll still have $40,000 in student loan debt to pay off.

I'm not even a good tipper, either.
Edited by Sodömy on 9/17/2012 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/17/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Sodömy
A college degree doesn't guarantee

Correct, a college degree does not guarantee a job. And never has.

How many years of education past high school a person needs to even be considered for a job depends entirely on what field and position they're applying to. And more than likely that degree will not guarantee a straight path to that position.

But not applying themselves at all does guarantee an applicant will be skipped over in certain fields.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]