Mac Recorder not working ... See link

90 Troll Priest
Thanks for the update!! looking forward to it!!
Reply Quote
87 Goblin Rogue
10/23/2012 03:39 PMPosted by Machkhan
Movie recording will be fixed in 5.1. I touched base with the team about this, and the movie recording feature has been rewritten to address multiple issues, and will be available on the 64-bit client :)

SO an update on this .... 64bit client does NOT have the recording function (still greyed out).
Edit: thanks for the quick reply Machkhan!

And this is still not fixed - though seeing as the game just crashes on compress of videos ... so maybe it has ... sigh another patch and no resolution
Edited by Zerostealth on 11/27/2012 12:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I may have missed this thread, but I did post on a few other threads that 5.1 will not have 64-bit recording due to some API issues. This has been moved back to a future patch and will be implemented when ready.

I'll looking into the bug again about the videos being corrupted and see what else I can find.
Reply Quote
87 Goblin Rogue
This might help with the troubleshooting Machkhan, the PTR build just before you guys went to the release version was working fine. Not sure of the build number though.
Compression and the videos looked perfect - no blocks of green crap.
Edited by Zerostealth on 11/27/2012 12:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
The PTR movie recording feature was different as it had some newly released APIs from Apple that were trying to be incorporated, but untimely did not workout (bugs and crashes), so those specific changes were not incorporated.

Our team is working with Apple with newer APIs, which is why this could not make it into 5.1.
Edited by Machkhan on 11/27/2012 12:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Goblin Rogue
11/27/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Machkhan
The PTR movie recording feature was different as it had some newly released APIs from Apple that were trying to be incorporated, but untimely did not workout (bugs and crashes), so those specific changes were not incorporated.

Interesting as it was working flawless for me (sad face) - Note I was using the 32bit version of the recorder on the PTR
Reply Quote
87 Goblin Rogue
Any update for this Machkhan?

I miss recording WoW ... sniff
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Ok, I am not a fan of resurrecting old threads, but I have had this one bookmarked for a few months to track this problem. I do not remember seeing anything in patch notes about recording being restored, but it appears it has, maybe...

So today by accident I hit my keybind to start movie recording and low and behold, recording started. When I last tracked this problem the recording ability was greyed out so recording did not even attempt to start. I was initially very happy and surprised so did some testing.

I started changing my resolution since last time I recorded movies I was debating on going higher res due to memory upgrades etc. Anyway, I shifted resolution and the video went blurry again - exactly as before.

I messed around with this several times (always making very short videos of about 10 sec) and checking them immediately after compressing. I tried both the 32 and 64 bit clients and closed WoW between different recording attempts.

What I think I see is that if WoW loads (either client) with settings set then recording is fine. If you change settings and start another recording without restarting, the videos appear to be bad as before. This sounds exactly like the problem I remember from before. However, it does seem like you can work with it since you can change settings, reload, and the videos seem to work. This is a far better solution (if true) than no recording at all.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
mine is having the multicolored "snow" on the recordings. I don't have any third party video software as my mac is basically just out of the box. Is this multicolored snow still a known issue? I've tried several different options in game with no change. I'm using the 64 bit client.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I think the issue is having high/ultra shadows when you first log in.

Try reduce shadows and log out. Log back in and try to record.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
DPS
Still not working for me. I tried everything, I think it is still bugged.
Reply Quote
I cannot compress most videos I record; the client crashes, and the resulting video is un-usable.
Reply Quote
Semi-Solution:

I have been crashing whenever I would compress a longer video; it would always reach 94% then the client would crash. Sometimes I would lose the video, sometimes it made it (almost) all the way through and produced a watchable video.

Today I found that if I remove the .WAV file before compressing, it works! The progress bar goes all the way to 99%, and the file is ok, just with no sound. I presume if I record with no sound it will come out fine too.

So, the crash is definitely related to the point in compression when sound is being added to the .MOV file.

FYI

:)
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
sounds like a 3rd party quicktime extension crash then that probably is taking over for the wave file? You'd have to post one of those crash logs to see
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Same thing happened to me today, the videos just show up as a bunch of colorful pixels like the link. Fixed it by turning down the graphics, and logging out then back in. It started to show up, and then I was able to turn up my graphics again and it still worked. I'm now having the problem of recording and then the video doesn't compress at all, it lags for a second when I finish recording, doesn't even get to 1%, and disappears. -_-
Edited by Moonsìlver on 5/23/2013 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It is now 5.3 and still not able to record movie in 32 or 64 bit client. I hope that by 10.7 we will be able to record movies.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.72f1
Serial Number (system): D25FR1KHDHJW
Hardware UUID: A84B95C4-5FC5-5612-AB21-8657AB544458
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6720
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C2960K-152
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.507
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Still seeing it. Sorry for the bump.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
08/16/2014 11:51 PMPosted by Kdemonh
Still seeing it. Sorry for the bump.

Bumping an old thread is no problem as long as the content of the thread is still relevant (which is the case here) and anyways it is far nicer to have all of the information in one thread rather than scattered throughout five.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Im a fool! Figured out why it wasn't working, maybe this will help some people (I'm sure you're all smarter than me though!) WoW was still downloading. I had thought it was 100% downloaded but it was only around 50%!

So make sure WoW is 100% downloaded.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]