Raid Healing 101?

Just did my first raid as a healer. (LFR) I used the in-game raid frames and was confused. How do I know who I am healing?
There were 6 healers so who was healing the tank or tanks?
When I did the group heal or the Hymn of Hope (mana) who benefited?
Is there some way this is assigned?
Also, there was a small thin bar with writing in it below the tanks from time to time. Was this a spell or buff or what?

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks
Edited by Angikin on 9/14/2012 8:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
In LFR, you usually won't have assignments. If someone's taking damage, heal them, that's really all there is to it (and unless the other healers are awful, there won't be much to do anyway).

In an organized raid you might have someone assigned to heal the tanks, or assignments based on your group.

Prayer of Healing affects everyone in a single party (so up to 5 people). Holy Word: Sanctuary affects everyone standing in it. Divine Hymn heals the lowest-health people in the raid. Lightspring (if you have it) also heals the lowest health targets. Hymn of Hope targets the people with the least current mana.

The bar below the tanks, I believe, was threat. Not sure what you mean.
Edited by Truelight on 9/14/2012 8:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello, Angikin :)

Truelight already answered your question, I was just going to add a bit to the last part of it; you say the bar with words appeared from time to time, which leads me to believe it was either a Taunt or Threat notification (as Truelight said), or perhaps a notification that the tank used a defensive Cooldown.

I haven't used the default UI in ages, so I couldn't say for sure, but one of these two things sounds like it's probably correct.

Riôt
Reply Quote
Wow, great information. Thanks!

On the tank, I bet it is the defense cooldown as it changed from time to time. (I could not read the whole word as it usually ran off the tiny bar.)

If you have another minute...
Sounds like being in the Sanctuary Chakra is better since you can still do individual heals and cast Holy Word and not have to worry about group assignments. But what about Mending. I cast is several times and could not see it jumping around. Did it still work?

Again, thanks for the great help.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
PoM probably was working. If you have sound effects on, it makes a sort of gong sound when it bounces.

Since you have Divine Insight, it could have been bouncing instantly. Otherwise, it bounces whenever the person that has it takes damage. If you can tell who the tanks are, use it on them to guarantee a bounce.
Reply Quote
Thanks Truelight.
I did hear the sound effect, but there was so much other noise, I was not sure it was my Mending spell, or some other effect.

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What you're describing is part of why I use custom raid frames. I just cannot read the tiny little icons and text on the blizzard stock raid frames. You might find things easier if you pick up an addon like VuhDo, Grid, or Healbot, because you can adjust those icons (and even how threat itself is shown) to what works for you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
They're not for everyone, but the default raid frames have come a long way since the Vanilla days and are actually usable for raid healing now. I prefer them to xperl (which I used forever and ever) because they're less glitchy and display all the info I want and nothing that I don't care about.

xperl is still way better party frames, though I've switched over to raid-style party frames for the time being.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The bars you see under the tanks are their targets. If you go to the raid frame options, you can put the tanks back in the raid by an option (something like "separate tanks from raid").

Default raid frames have come such a long way. Ironically, even though I use default raid frames, I still use an addon for player/target frames because those frames don't have big enough health/mana bars.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You might look into using an addon like healbot or vuhdo also.
:/
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Just did my first raid as a healer. (LFR) I used the in-game raid frames and was confused. How do I know who I am healing?
There were 6 healers so who was healing the tank or tanks?
When I did the group heal or the Hymn of Hope (mana) who benefited?
Is there some way this is assigned?
Also, there was a small thin bar with writing in it below the tanks from time to time. Was this a spell or buff or what?

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks

First things first; Download an addon for healing.

I love healbot personally. But you should ask people you know what healing addon you should get.

You're never going to be very efficient without a healing UI addon. blizzards UI is terrible.

Start with that. Then address any other issues.
Edited by Darknsmelly on 9/14/2012 1:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/14/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Darknsmelly
You're never going to be very efficient without a healing UI addon. blizzards UI is terrible.

This was true in the past but today it's strictly a matter of preference. The default raid frames are good now for the default style - select target, push button. If you have a fancy macro mouse or prefer mouseover healing or need accurate HoT timers then the default frames can't really help you with those.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
09/14/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Kessiaan

This was true in the past but today it's strictly a matter of preference. The default raid frames are good now for the default style - select target, push button. If you have a fancy macro mouse or prefer mouseover healing or need accurate HoT timers then the default frames can't really help you with those.

Raid healing is all about speed of reactions. If you're not using mouseover healing, you're 5steps behind any healer that is.

The time it takes to select a target is a half a blown GCD or worse. That adds up signifigantly over the course of any encounter.
Who doesn't need accurate HoT timers, or tank CD timers etc etc? Everything you said there is mandatory if you're serious about raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Oooo, are we going to start the add-on vs no add-on debate again?
It'll only be the millionth one started.

I think as long as no one dies when you heal (and very little of the mad heart thumping OMG WE'RE GOING TO DIEEEEEE moments) then just use what you want.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The time it takes to select a target is a half a blown GCD or worse. That adds up signifigantly over the course of any encounter.
Who doesn't need accurate HoT timers, or tank CD timers etc etc? Everything you said there is mandatory if you're serious about raiding.

For the first point, you pick your next target during the previous GCD or cast. No time wasted at all, in fact it's better because there's no risk of wasting a cast on a misclick.

For the latter, all that you need is on the default UI now, it just shows it as a round timer instead of a numerical readout. It's just as good.

We can't get enough people to show up this close to MoP to raid anything. Might as well argue on the internet! Besides, the default UI does everything I (and many others) used xperl for. That's all I'm really trying to say.

Besides, it's not like frames is the only healing-oriented add-on. I use other add-ons, I just like the default frames.
Edited by Kessiaan on 9/14/2012 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

For the first point, you pick your next target during the previous GCD. No time wasted at all, in fact it's better because there's no risk of wasting a waste on a misclick.

For the latter, all that you need is on the default UI now, it just shows it as a round timer instead of a numerical readout. It's just as good.

We can't get enough people to show up this close to MoP to raid anything. Might as well argue on the internet!

Iam resto Druid. Mouse over is mandatory with halved GCD on Rejuvs.

I healed with Default UI back in Wrath on a disc priest. (AND that UI was far worse, IIRC lol.) I've switched to resto druid for Cata. Default Raid UI is far too slow. Also, I've 16 macros on my mouse.
Edited by Darknsmelly on 9/14/2012 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Let's not start that, but let's also stop making hyperbolic assertions:
If you have a fancy macro mouse or prefer mouseover healing or need accurate HoT timers then the default frames can't really help you with those.

@mouseover and clique work with the default raidframes, which also have clock-style duration displays on hots. I have never noticed any particular inaccuracy with them.
If you're not using mouseover healing, you're 5steps behind any healer that is.

If you're a normal person with normal reaction time, the majority of the time is taken by moving the mouse over the frame you want to cast on. The breadth of time between clicking the frame and pressing the key is not significant - when compared to latency - for most encounters, and becomes negligible the more proactive you are.
Of course mouseover macros or click-casts are easier and offer a tiny speed increase when pure reaction time is the dominant factor. But they won't make or break you in LFR and certainly not 5 steps behind another healer for not using them.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
If you're comfortable using the default frames, do so. If not, get a raid frame addon.

It's as simple as that and I don't understand why people fight over it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]