Resurrection in WoW: Is it canon?

90 Night Elf Hunter
A while back, when Blizzard was being asked a lot of lore based questions, one of the more interesting points they said that stuck in my mind was the fact that no matter what, as far as the Lore and characters were concerned, bringing someone back from the dead that wasn't a Forsaken or a Scourge was pretty much a no go. To put it plainly, all those little nice 'bring your character back to life spells' aren't considered canon as for as the story of WoW is concerned.

And yet I've stumbled on something interesting while grinding up my professions for one of my alts today. One of the new quests in the Scarlet Monastery after the Mists update is to pierce twin blades into the corpse of High Inquisitor Whitemane, as it's the one thing to preventing her from using the ability that has, by it's use alone, kept the Scarlet Crusade living all this time... The ability of Resurrection.

This says one of two things to me. One, they wanted to give us an interesting quest and really didn't care for the story or canon facts of WoW. We've seen this as much with other quests (such as the quest where YOU are the quest giver). Or Two, Blizzard has since changed their thoughts on the ability to bring those back from the dead and it being used as a story point. Either way, it's something my sleep addled mind found interesting and I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.
Edited by Araniis on 9/15/2012 2:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think lore-wise resurrecting someone would be very hard to do and is probably only more likely to work for those who are more powerful.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/15/2012 02:14 AMPosted by Selesnya
I think lore-wise resurrecting someone would be very hard to do and is probably only more likely to work for those who are more powerful.

That's what I would have thought at first, considering the only real first break in this rule was back during the Lich King Boss Fight, where the spirit of Terenas Menethil rez's the players to finish off Arthus once and for all. Thing is, Whitemane's never been all that powerful, ya know. Only with this expansion did she get bumped up because her dungeons got a lv cap heroic.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
There is also the blood magic quest in the Blasted Lands to raise Thalipedes the demon hunter from the dead, as of Cataclysm. It's not intended to be common at all.
Edited by Elrith on 9/15/2012 2:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/15/2012 02:39 AMPosted by Elrith
It's not intended to be common at all.

Never said it was supposed to be common or anything like that. I just recall having heared Blizzards stance on it being not canon PERIOD. IE, even these quests and the Lich King fight by, all rights, shouldn't be counted as what 'really happened'.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
09/15/2012 02:45 AMPosted by Araniis
Never said it was supposed to be common or anything like that. I just recall having heared Blizzards stance on it being not canon PERIOD. IE, even these quests and the Lich King fight by, all rights, shouldn't be counted as what 'really happened'.

Source?

Also, they happened. They wouldn't have included them otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Source?

Also, they happened. They wouldn't have included them otherwise.

Considering it's about 3 in the morning and this particular tidbit of info was from, I think, before Cata was launched, it might take a bit to find. Also, a counter argument to the whole 'it happened so it's canon': Onyxia. We players may have beaten her in game, but as far as the lore of WoW is concerned, it was King Varian who slew Onyxia after the dragons spell backfired and fused his two halves back into one. I wouldn't be at all surprised that other such characters/stories would be altered as such.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I thought it was said at one point that Spirit Healers will bring people back to life if it "wasn't their time". Also, Azuregos dating one in Azshara is the first time I think any in game character notices or mentions them.

When raiding I've wondered "What kind of psychological trauma am I inflicting on my toons by killing them thousands of times..."
Reply Quote
15 Blood Elf Hunter
I thought it was said at one point that Spirit Healers will bring people back to life if it "wasn't their time". Also, Azuregos dating one in Azshara is the first time I think any in game character notices or mentions them.

When raiding I've wondered "What kind of psychological trauma am I inflicting on my toons by killing them thousands of times..."

Im imagining years later... your character with their little kid telling the stories of how you stopped the Destroyer.

"I and my 24 Allies were runing out of time, Deathwing was casting the second Cataclysm. We had to defeat him faster... but just as we tried my allies started dropping around me... we didnt do it Deathwing blew us all up..."

"WHOA! What did you do to survive mommy?!"

"I didnt, we all came back to life, decided the tank sucked and vote-drop kicked him into the maelstrom for a new one, and tried again."

"Mind=Blown"
Edited by Zaestrasza on 9/15/2012 8:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
68 Blood Elf Warlock
Varian took Onyxia down with aid from heroes. He dealt the killing blow, but he had aid there, namely us.

Onyxia's return was not canon, it was OOC as an anniversary present for players as I recall.

If there is an in depth story behind something, it's debatable. But it's a false equivocation to say Onyxia coming back is analogous to "it happened".
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

If there is an in depth story behind something, it's debatable. But it's a false equivocation to say Onyxia coming back is analogous to "it happened".

Even if we ignore the 5 year anniversary, Onyxia did come back in Blackwing Descent.

As far as explicitly divine resurrection, there are certainly cases for it, as others have pointed out. We also know, as was said, that Spirit Healers are canon, as well. From what I understand, player resurrection is canon if it is done immediately after the person is "killed". For example, The Burning Crusade cinematic explicitly has a Blood Elven priest resurrect a freshly fallen Orc warrior.
Edited by Abal on 9/15/2012 9:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/15/2012 02:06 AMPosted by Araniis
One, they wanted to give us an interesting quest and really didn't care for the story or canon facts of WoW.

Happens all the time. Blizzard doesn't generally require their quest designers to know all the lore. Instead, they prioritize that individual persons talents, hire them, and then let them learn as they go.

As for the thread at hand, yes, resurrection is cannon. This is something that should actually have been known since the Culling of Stratholme mission in WCIII, where Mal'Ganis came back every time Arthas defeated him. Or heck, later on in the Orc campaign where Thrall couldn't stop Grom from attacking human encampments over and over again.

It's just that in lore, it takes a lot of time and powerful magic. This was represented in WCIII by us needing altars and time to bring back dead heroes.

It was also shown in Icecrown questing, where a Gnome of the Ebon Blade has you collect the body parts of a Draenei Paladin to resurrect him(and no, not into undeath--but actually resurrect him). Also in the New Blasted Lands quests, where you resurrect a Demon Hunter.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
As for Onyxia: She didn't "come back" the second time we fought her. She was the same encounter, Blizzard just upped her stats. No lore was needed for that...numbers are arbitrary. It's not like they eliminate boss encounters after they're done in lore.

The third time though....yeah, that was Necromancy.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Thrall raised a dragon for the dragon soul dungeon. but, he's thrall.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Excluding creatures reanimated with necromancy, and creatures who can return from death under their own power (demons, elementals, liches, gods, etc.), here are some canon examples of resurrection:

- Aegwynn resurrected Medivh, at the cost of much of her own power.
- Sangrias Stillblade and others were resurrected in low-level paladin quests.
- Sally Whitemane resurrected Renault Mograine.
- Spirit Talker Snarlfang resurrected Farseer Grimwalker.
- High General Abbendis mentions multiple "failures and resurrections" in her diary.
- Landgren dies in Dragonblight, gets resurrected and promoted, and returns in Icecrown.
- Crusader Olakin Sainrith is stitched together and resurrected after being torn apart.
- The spirit of King Terenas resurrects those slain by King Arthas when Frostmourne breaks.
- Loramus Thalipedes is resurrected on an Altar of Storms.
- Thrall resurrected a red drake on his way to Wyrmrest Temple.
- Whitemane's resurrection abilities allowed the Scarlet Crusade to hold the Scarlet Monastery for years.

Various factors come into play when determining whether someone can (or can not) be resurrected (how long they've been dead, what condition the body is in, how powerful the dead person was, how powerful the person trying to revive them is, what sorts of altars or artifacts are available to the caster, etc.), but they're more like guidelines than solid rules. It ultimately comes down to a story decision.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

The third time though....yeah, that was Necromancy.

Indeed, and although that really wasn't what the OP was asking, Necromancy is a viable way to return from the dead. Hell, there's both a playable race and a playable class (/raises hand) that count on it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/15/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Vaedrin
Yeah, resurrection spells should probably be renamed to "Revive" or "Restore Consciousness" or stuff since we don't really die - in a canon sense anyway.

There are times when the player characters die as part of the story, as in the Lich King encounter and a handful of quests (like "Meet at the Grave", "Dark Iron Legacy" and "See You on the Other Side").
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

- Crusader Olakin Sainrith is stitched together and resurrected after being torn apart.

This has got to be the most epic Rez in game ever.

-Gets killed
-Gets torn apart and parts put into many different scourge
-Scourge are brutally destroyed and the parts gathered
-Sew up him
-GOOD TO GO!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

That's what I would have thought at first, considering the only real first break in this rule was back during the Lich King Boss Fight, where the spirit of Terenas Menethil rez's the players to finish off Arthus once and for all. Thing is, Whitemane's never been all that powerful, ya know. Only with this expansion did she get bumped up because her dungeons got a lv cap heroic.

One of my biggest pet peeves here. It's "Arthas" not "Arthus". Sorry, I had to get that off of my breastplate.
Edited by Malodin on 9/15/2012 1:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]