Malkorok is Kil'Jaeden

90 Orc Warrior
I'm with Aurriastraza. If he's being influenced at all, Garrosh would be corrupted by the bones of Mannoroth and, possibly, the taint of Gorehowl, as it has the blood of Mannoroth on its edge and was, possibly, in the possession of Prince Malchezzar.

I'm 99.9% sure that Gorehowl being in Prince M's possesion is non-canon.

Thrall was RIGHT THERE when Grom died. He wouldn't have just left Gorehowl on the battlefield.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I wouldn't go as far to say that he's Kil'jaeden, but I do think that he's being possessed by a Dread-lord of significant power (Dethroc perhaps?)
Reply Quote
What if Malkorok is possessed and doesn't even notice?

I think a Dread Lord could be that sneaky, if he wanted to
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Death Knight
09/14/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Lochnar
I'm with Aurriastraza. If he's being influenced at all, Garrosh would be corrupted by the bones of Mannoroth and, possibly, the taint of Gorehowl, as it has the blood of Mannoroth on its edge and was, possibly, in the possession of Prince Malchezzar.

I'm 99.9% sure that Gorehowl being in Prince M's possesion is non-canon.

Thrall was RIGHT THERE when Grom died. He wouldn't have just left Gorehowl on the battlefield.

Probably. Still, we're all just throwing out theories here, and it was on his loot table.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I honestly doubt it. Would be nice, but I think Malkorok was just made up in the novel to have a character who is a bad influence on Garrosh.

At best, he'll probably become a boss at some point and we'll kill him and forget about him.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Who knows, maybe Kil'Jaeden is influencing Malkorok and in turn is influencing Garrosh. It'll fit with Kil'Jaeden, when he first met the Orcs on Dreanor he pretend to be Orcish Ancestors and influenced Ner'zhul until he Gul'dan to be his mouthpiece.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Since reading the book, I've always had a feeling he's not what he seems. Although I figured he was Mal'Ganis. Mostly because of his retreat from Icecrown and us never seeing hide nor hair of him ever since, despite him vowing revenge.

That and the similarities between the two names: Malkorok - Mal'Ganis
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Except Blizzard can be criticized as it is for having Garrosh's story be an exact repeat of Grom's. They don't need to take it a step further and have the Burning Legion even be the same ones who corrupted Garrosh.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
09/15/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Drailen
Except Blizzard can be criticized as it is for having Garrosh's story be an exact repeat of Grom's. They don't need to take it a step further and have the Burning Legion even be the same ones who corrupted Garrosh.

Not an exact, but WC history repeating itself is still good story. While Garrosh's plot definamtely has some Grom arch themes, it has a lot regarding the history of the Horde too.

1. Thrall took off leaving a Hellscream in charge
2. Hellscream sets focus on fighting Night Elves, loses first battle, tries again
3. Shaman turn to dark magics. Warlocks in the old Horde, Dark Shaman in the new
4. Wood/hide architecture replaced with black metal. See The Black Citadel in Hellfire
5. Hellscream brutally murders innocents. Saurfang said he'd kill Garrosh himself if he ever took them down the child killing path his father (not Warchief but first to drink) and like-minded orcs did. Thankfully Jaina saved Theramore's kids but Garrosh didn't know that.

Honestly though being over halfway through the book now I'm not so sure it's legion. Malkorok really does seem to be legit, though possibly allied with or influenced by evil. Given the long periods of time Garrosh spends either alone or with Malkorok & the Kor'kron, the insight into both character's personality, the fact that Deathwing was vulnerable to corruption dwelling deep within the ground and Malkorok has lived there too in Blackrock Mountain, Yogg-Saron's vision of King Llane's death and involvement in it, and Garrosh's use of Dark Shaman akin to Twilight Cultists I'm thinking... N'Zoth; and Malkorok's missing fingers symbolize C'Thun and Yogg and his big scar is the Cataclysm.
Edited by Sagginz on 9/18/2012 1:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
09/14/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Aurriastraza
I think a Dread Lord could be that sneaky, if he wanted to

And they are. Meryl is rarely affected by his personal Dreadlord until he's really weakened and the guy tries to take advantage.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
09/15/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Drailen

I want it to be a repeat for the irony of Garrosh hating his dad for what he did, only to do the exact same things himself.

So bring on Fel Orc Garrosh plz blizz.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I think it more likely the evil orc is just an evil orc

But, I suppose it's possible Malkorok is under a malevolent influence
Of course, my personal pet theory is Garrosh being corrupted by the bones of Mannoroth

I've had this same theory as well. Just like how Sargeras possessed Aegwynns body and helped produce Medivh. Isn't it possible that a lingering essence of Mannoroth remained in his bones. Garrosh is blood of Grom the first orc to drink of Mannoroths blood. It would make Garrosh easier to possess.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Since reading the book, I've always had a feeling he's not what he seems. Although I figured he was Mal'Ganis. Mostly because of his retreat from Icecrown and us never seeing hide nor hair of him ever since, despite him vowing revenge.

That and the similarities between the two names: Malkorok - Mal'Ganis

We can't really get around the fact that several chapters are told from his point of view, and he never once gives the impression of being anything other then a particularly brutal orc. Why would Mal'ganis reminisce to himself about his time in the service of Rend Blackhand?

If the Legion is indeed manipulating the Horde into escalating the conflict with the Alliance, then Malkorok is just another pawn.
Reply Quote
74 Human Warlock
Just because malkorok reminisce aboutq living in Blackrock mountain, doesn't mean a dread lord couldn't have possessed him. Or it could the work of the old gods,seeking to undo both the alliance and the horde.

It's a perfect time to begin to influence a easily manipulated Orc into doing whatever you please.The cataclysm really weakened both sides
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Just because malkorok reminisce aboutq living in Blackrock mountain, doesn't mean a dread lord couldn't have possessed him. Or it could the work of the old gods,seeking to undo both the alliance and the horde.

It's a perfect time to begin to influence a easily manipulated Orc into doing whatever you please.The cataclysm really weakened both sides

If Malkorok was possessed, his internal dialogue should of been something more along the lines of "WHAT AM I DOING!!!! WHY CAN'T I CONTROL MYSELF!!!! AAAHHHH!!!"

I'm not going to rule out the idea of Malkorok being manipulated by a greater malevolent force such as Mal'ganis, but I don't think he is or is being explicitly controlled by one.

And really I think it would be better that way. The Horde really should of put safeguards in place to keep a demon from whispering in the Warchief's ear no matter what form they hide in, making Malkorok a demon in disguise would just reveal that the Horde has horrendous security procedures.

Perhaps a demon was aware that Garrosh is easily manipulated but couldn't get close enough to do much of anything. When he found Malkorok in the ruins of a Blackrock stronghold, he appeared in a different form and simply suggested Malkorok go to the Horde and let events play out from there. Since Malkorok is a true believer, he can never be discovered.
Reply Quote
74 Human Warlock
Just because he hasn't had any internal conflict doesnt mean he isn't possessed. He very well could be unaware of said fact. Much like the scarlet crusade was unaware of it's leader being a dreadlord.I think we underestimate the power of a demon or the corrupting influence it can over a person,without them even being fuly aware of it.
Reply Quote
56 Night Elf Priest
I really hope you are right because that would be a great twist if at the end of MoP when OG is under siege and all is lost that he reveals his true identity to Garrosh and convinces him to leave Azeroth to come with KJ and raise a Fel Orc army with demons to attack Azeroth in Warcraft 4/6.0
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
If Malkorok was possessed, his internal dialogue should of been something more along the lines of "WHAT AM I DOING!!!! WHY CAN'T I CONTROL MYSELF!!!! AAAHHHH!!!"

That's not true at all. When the NPCs are controlled by the Sha, they aren't having that melodramatic internal struggle, they genuinely believe they are acting sanely.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
09/29/2012 11:17 PMPosted by Baalsamael

That's not true at all. When the NPCs are controlled by the Sha, they aren't having that melodramatic internal struggle, they genuinely believe they are acting sanely.

Don't they say that they're having horrible nightmares?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
09/29/2012 11:17 PMPosted by Baalsamael

The Sha are a very different sort of being however. They take root in negative emotions and amplify them many times over. In addition only the most powerful Sha are shown to even be sentient, so they wouldn't have any motivations more complex then making the host really, really angry (or hateful, sad, etc.).

We have never had a case where demonic possession has meant anything other then total or near-total control of a person's actions. Malkorok could very well be under some sort of demonic influence, but I'd say it falls well short of anything that could be described as "possession".
Edited by Falrinn on 9/30/2012 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]