Malkorok is Kil'Jaeden

91 Tauren Death Knight
Except Blizzard can be criticized as it is for having Garrosh's story be an exact repeat of Grom's. They don't need to take it a step further and have the Burning Legion even be the same ones who corrupted Garrosh.

Not an exact, but WC history repeating itself is still good story. While Garrosh's plot definamtely has some Grom arch themes, it has a lot regarding the history of the Horde too.

1. Thrall took off leaving a Hellscream in charge
2. Hellscream sets focus on fighting Night Elves, loses first battle, tries again
3. Shaman turn to dark magics. Warlocks in the old Horde, Dark Shaman in the new
4. Wood/hide architecture replaced with black metal. See The Black Citadel in Hellfire
5. Hellscream brutally murders innocents. Saurfang said he'd kill Garrosh himself if he ever took them down the child killing path his father (not Warchief but first to drink) and like-minded orcs did. Thankfully Jaina saved Theramore's kids but Garrosh didn't know that.

Honestly though being over halfway through the book now I'm not so sure it's legion. Malkorok really does seem to be legit, though possibly allied with or influenced by evil. Given the long periods of time Garrosh spends either alone or with Malkorok & the Kor'kron, the insight into both character's personality, the fact that Deathwing was vulnerable to corruption dwelling deep within the ground and Malkorok has lived there too in Blackrock Mountain, Yogg-Saron's vision of King Llane's death and involvement in it, and Garrosh's use of Dark Shaman akin to Twilight Cultists I'm thinking... N'Zoth; and Malkorok's missing fingers symbolize C'Thun and Yogg and his big scar is the Cataclysm.

I like this theory. The missing fingers and the scar would especially be nice touches if Blizzard or Golden intended that. The hand analogy, in particular, is exciting as there are five fingers on a hand, matching that there are five Azerothian Old Gods. However, considering what is going on in Pandaria, I would suggest that the corruption is due to Y'Shaarj or, possibly, the fifth unnamed Old God trying to break us apart by urging us to go to Y'Shaarj's graveyard. I believe that Metzen or Kosak stated that we would not hear from N'Zoth this expansion; it will probably return when Azshara makes her move.
Edited by Abal on 9/30/2012 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Kil'jaeden can't get onto Azeroth without a really big portal (such as Kael'thas tried to create using the Sunwell), and there are no such portals on Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
09/30/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Gibbons
Kil'jaeden can't get onto Azeroth without a really big portal (such as Kael'thas tried to create using the Sunwell), and there are no such portals on Azeroth.
Demon Lords can bypass that by coming through inside an avatar, instead of bringing their proper bodies. Sargeras did it back when he possessed Aegwynn, and it's not out of the question that Kil'Jaeden could do it too.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
09/30/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Daralii
Demon Lords can bypass that by coming through inside an avatar, instead of bringing their proper bodies. Sargeras did it back when he possessed Aegwynn, and it's not out of the question that Kil'Jaeden could do it too.

Well, Why haven't they tried that before? If Kil'jaeden and Archimonde had that power, They would have done so thousands of years ago. I believe that is a power solely reserved for the Dark Titan himself.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I´m still thinking of who is the might mage that stole the iris and use it to make the mana bomb...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Dat necro.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Malkorok will be a raid boss. I bet he will be the boss before Garrosh.
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid
Calling it now: Garrosh's right hand man Malkorok is Kil'Jaeden the Deceiver in disguise. I've just started reading Tides of War and this is the first thing that struck me.

He did not touch Bain, but the tauren could almost feel the fire of the other's banked rage churning. The gray-skinned orc's eyes glittered, their coldness not tempered the heat of his anger but augmenting it. And Bain felt a prickle of unease. Who was this orc? (Tides of War p. 24) - That was the line that really stuck in my gut, I got the feeling like whoever Malkorok is, we've met him before.

Further assumptions:

Malkorok is missing two fingers. Likely that one represents the Legion's defeat in the War of the Ancients, and the other represents its defeat in The Third War.

Malkorok isn't comfortable with the daylight provided by the harsh sun of Durotar. The given reason is that he's been in Blackrock Mountain for 30~ years, another alternative is that he's been in the dark depths of the Twisting Nether for twenty-five-thousand.

Kil'Jaeden organized and corrupted the original Horde via the same method, by pretending to be an Orc and whispering in the ear of its leader.

The Draenei starting cinematic states that the prophet Velen has foresaw a coming war between shadow and light and Wrathion's quest in Pandaria shows Azeroth with giant meteors crashing into its surface and laying waste to the land - very reminiscent of the Burning Legion's Infernal's preferred method of interstellar travel.

The purpose of Ner'Zhul and the Scourge on Azeroth was originally to soften any opposition the Legion might face and herald their arrival, that threat has been subdued. Starting a war between the resource starved post Cataclysm era factions of Azeroth is a good backup plan.

At the site of the Focusing Iris' theft this is said: "As Kirygosa and the others sniffed the air, they caught the lingering stench of demonic activity..." (Tides of War p9) and to be fair they also found evidence of arcane activity so the fel taint could be generic Horde warlocks.

Now take apart everything I've said bit by bit and point out why I'm wrong. That's what I'd do to you ;) It's just a hunch.

The only hole I see in your theory is the fact that it takes a ridicules amount of power to actually get a demon like Kil'jaden into Azeroth. Like Sunwell powerful which was why they were using in at the end of TBC expansion. However Malkorok could very well be some kind of agent of the Legion. He could most certainly be a Dreadlord because they are well known for doing this kind of thing.
Reply Quote
94 Goblin Warlock
I wouldn't say kil'jaeden.

Someone like Detheroc makes more sense.

It'd be a good segway into the supposed BL expansion though.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Malkorok is more likely to be a former member of the Twilight's Hammer who'll join forces with Y'shaarj should he return(Blizzard refused to comment on whether or not he'll return despite also saying he's very very very dead).
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid
Just because malkorok reminisce aboutq living in Blackrock mountain, doesn't mean a dread lord couldn't have possessed him. Or it could the work of the old gods,seeking to undo both the alliance and the horde.

It's a perfect time to begin to influence a easily manipulated Orc into doing whatever you please.The cataclysm really weakened both sides

If Malkorok was possessed, his internal dialogue should of been something more along the lines of "WHAT AM I DOING!!!! WHY CAN'T I CONTROL MYSELF!!!! AAAHHHH!!!"

I'm not going to rule out the idea of Malkorok being manipulated by a greater malevolent force such as Mal'ganis, but I don't think he is or is being explicitly controlled by one.

And really I think it would be better that way. The Horde really should of put safeguards in place to keep a demon from whispering in the Warchief's ear no matter what form they hide in, making Malkorok a demon in disguise would just reveal that the Horde has horrendous security procedures.

Perhaps a demon was aware that Garrosh is easily manipulated but couldn't get close enough to do much of anything. When he found Malkorok in the ruins of a Blackrock stronghold, he appeared in a different form and simply suggested Malkorok go to the Horde and let events play out from there. Since Malkorok is a true believer, he can never be discovered.

That or some Dreadlord could of Killed Malkorok ripped his soul out and used the empty vessel to disguise himself. There is no way in Lore for detecting a dreadlord demon. None has been specified so that leads me to beileve there is none. The only thing I could think of seeing a dreadlord in disguise is a demon hunter and neither of the factions want anything to do with their kind at all.
Reply Quote
65 Dwarf Paladin
In before "this was just a setback!" and Malkorok is just Deathwing in an Orc form planning revenge.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
I think it more likely the evil orc is just an evil orc

But, I suppose it's possible Malkorok is under a malevolent influence

Of course, my personal pet theory is Garrosh being corrupted by the bones of Mannoroth

I've had this same theory as well. Just like how Sargeras possessed Aegwynns body and helped produce Medivh. Isn't it possible that a lingering essence of Mannoroth remained in his bones. Garrosh is blood of Grom the first orc to drink of Mannoroths blood. It would make Garrosh easier to possess.

highly unlikely. Garrosh was already born before Grom drank the demon blood...hence his brown skin color. So there shouldn't be any demonic taint passing via genetics.
Reply Quote
Mal'ganas or Balthazar?
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid

Well, Why haven't they tried that before? If Kil'jaeden and Archimonde had that power, They would have done so thousands of years ago. I believe that is a power solely reserved for the Dark Titan himself.

I think they can do it but Kil'jaeden and Archimonde are suppose to be the two main Generals in the Legion. A general usually does not involve himself in inflitration. In the legion such activity is mostly spear headed by the Nathrizhim Dreadlords.
Edited by Walegar on 12/28/2012 1:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Death Knight
12/28/2012 12:34 PMPosted by Arbiter
Mal'ganas or Balthazar?

If Malkorok is someone other than a pissed off Blackrock orc, Mal'ganis makes the most sense. He disappeared in Icecrown and has been missing since. Since Pandaria seems to parallel Northrend in several ways, a return of Mal'ganis as a herald of the Burning Legion is certainly possible.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Given that we had at least one chapter from Malkorok's point of view in which he reflected on his history within Blackrock Spire, I doubt he's anything other than what he seems.
Reply Quote
09/14/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Sagginz
Malkorok is missing two fingers. Likely that one represents the Legion's defeat in the War of the Ancients, and the other represents its defeat in The Third War.

Why not 4? The Legion has attempted and failed 4 times so far hasn't it?

War of the Ancients
Third War
Burning Crusade
The Undercity Incident

Maybe 5 if you count the opening of the Dark portal and the Sunwell as 2 separate invasions
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]